Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Ordered license disc, got letter fron SANRAL for E-toll fees.

Hi Guys. I applied to have my license disc renewed on City of Cape Town's fantastic
    online service. I paid the total license fee per EFT. Got notice from Post Office that I
    need to pick up registered letter. I thought it was my new disc, but no..it was a letter
    from representatives from SANRAL for outstanding E-Toll fees. The letter is quite
    demanding... pay, or attorneys will issue a summons.

To make it clear: I have absolutely NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER to pay the corrupt
    nest of snakes.

Any advice will be appreciated. I suppose I will now have to go stand in line at the license
    department to hear what I need to do. I want my money back of coarse.
    Last edited by NickSmit; 2021/03/15 at 02:47 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickSmit For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ordered license disc, got letter fron SANRAL for E-toll fees.

Contact OUTA maybe they can help or advise... good luck, hope it works out.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

If and when that happens to me, I will just put the license disc annual money away every year and continue to drive with an expired disc.

I don't drive that often luckily.

But I will never ever pay SANRAL.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    I will just put the license disc annual money away every year and continue to drive with an expired disc.
    Make sure your insurance is happy with that arrangement.

You don't want to replace your car and be hit with a R5million 3rd party claim.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Many insurance companies have already ruled when this eToll crap started that an expired disc will not void the claim. Like Touareg said, just check with them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Make sure your insurance is happy with that arrangement.

You don't want to replace your car and be hit with a R5million 3rd party claim.
    An expired disc does not make me negligent in causing an accident.

And a license disc also does not make a vehicle roadworthy, if it is my fault.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Is COCT refusing to issue the licence disk due to etoll account? Ifthey do, contact either Outa or Jusctice project South Africa.

If not, I guess the etoll letter just arrived by chance at the same time.

And don't skrik for the summons thread - it is just BS.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thabogrobler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    Is COCT refusing to issue the licence disk due to etoll account? Ifthey do, contact either Outa or Jusctice project South Africa.

If not, I guess the etoll letter just arrived by chance at the same time.

And don't skrik for the summons thread - it is just BS.
    Suspect same...
    Did letter state licence disk to be withheld pending payment iof e-tolls?
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Sounds like its just coincidence. My wife got the same summons about 2 months ago. Contacted outa they said ignore it. If they take further action to contact outa. Its a bullying tactic.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaggy For This Useful Post:

CoCT does not send license disks by registered mail - they use ordinary Post Office mail. They do take their time though. It takes about a month to process the online application. Then you pay and about a month later you get something in you post box.
    I say 'something' because they withheld my Volvo disk due my trailer's disk expired (I also applied online for the trailer) while they were 'processing' the Volvo. So I received a license paper, but no disk. Then a month later the trailer disk arrived - still without the Volvo disk. 5 Months later I did an application for the PS disk - that took about 2 months. It looks like I will have to queue for the Volvo disk. I keep a copy of the license paper in the car. Maybe I shall just wait for the year to pass and apply again for a new disk online. It might be quicker than the queue - it is only another 6 months......
    Carl Breytenbach

11 Pajero Sport 3.2 Auto
    15 Volvo V40 D3
    Echo 3.5 (Ex Echo 1 Modified)

Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe it is just coincidence yes. I will wait a bit to see if the disc arrives. The letter
    does not mention that the disc will be withheld until payment. I will NEVER pay Etoll.

Have a look here;
    https://outa.co.za/summons

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

Mbalula promised last night on news that the decision regarding etolls will be communicated before end March. We have heard that one before...

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell

I took that letter with me to the Bellville traffic to renew my disc. The lady said they have nothing to do nor do they care about etoll accounts.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckRogers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NickSmit View Post
    Hi Guys. I applied to have my license disc renewed on City of Cape Town's fantastic
    online service. I paid the total license fee per EFT. Got notice from Post Office that I
    need to pick up registered letter. I thought it was my new disc, but no..it was a letter
    from representatives from SANRAL for outstanding E-Toll fees. The letter is quite
    demanding... pay, or attorneys will issue a summons.

To make it clear: I have absolutely NO INTENTION WHATSOEVER to pay the corrupt
    nest of snakes.

Any advice will be appreciated. I suppose I will now have to go stand in line at the license
    department to hear what I need to do. I want my money back of coarse.
    Hi Join OUTA for as little as R 80 pm and they will defend you IF summons is issued> This is just an idle threat

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaspermac For This Useful Post:

BTW, I went to Plumstead License Office last Tuesday morning to renew my trailer license..... from the time of arrival to the time of leaving, disk in hand, following all the protocols - 10 minutes. What queue?
    (I know, nothing to do with SANRAL, but just FYI)

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colinwp For This Useful Post:

I got the same letter a couple of months ago. The letter is not a summons so it does not have any legal implications. The letter is send by the firm that had the e-toll collection contract with SANRAL until the end of November 2021 if I am not mistaken. They were obviously trying their last bit of bullying to get as many as they can to pay for them to get their cut of the deal. I am a member of OUTA and they advised me to ignore it. The letter has got nothing to do with you not receiving your license from COCT, their online system is currently overloaded and they have a backlog. According to COCT's news bulletins they extended their license "amnesty" for expired licenses to end of August.
    2003 Disco II GS V8 Auto
    2000 Disco II GS td5 Man "Groenie" Sold
    2004 Disco II GS td5 Man "White Lady" No more
    2000 Disco II XS td5 Auto Sold

There seems to be a misconception that one can get things (schools, universities, roads, electricity, water etc) for free That is simply no so: teachers at schools, lecturers at universities, civil engineers who design and build roads etc) do not work for "free", neither are the materials used for these facilities "free". In short, one way or another, we are going to pay for our infrastructure. On the one extreme we could have a 100% income tax rate with the government providing everything for "free" (the communist utopia, and we know that does not work, as was discovered by 1989); on the other hand we can have zero taxes and we pay for everything we need as we use them (the capitalist utopia, impractical to implement). The practical solution is a balance between the two extremes. As far as e-toll is concerned, the big noise comes from regular users who want it paid for by all tax payers, also those who never use these roads, so the users can have more money in their pockets (because the cost of these roads is paid for by more people) ... rather selfish, I think. Just like we can not reasonably expect everyone to pay for Eskom, regardless of whether they use (or even have) electricity, we can also not reasonably expect everyone to pay for freeways whether they use it or not. Stop this name calling and self-serving abuse of the system for your own selfish purposes and pay your flippen e-tolls!

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kobus Vorster For This Useful Post:

I had my disc with held some years ago due to fines on a motorbike I had previously owned. I sold it to a shop. The shop did not register the bike and instead racked up some crazy fines. Anyway, I went about getting the bike removed from my name and drove around with the receipt to prove that I had payed for my license. Was stopped at 2 roadblocks, was very happy that the traffic officers understood, when I told them and showed them that I had payed the renewal etc. So maybe just keep a copy of the receipt in the car.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to riyadh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus Vorster View Post
    There seems to be a misconception that one can get things (schools, universities, roads, electricity, water etc) for free That is simply no so: teachers at schools, lecturers at universities, civil engineers who design and build roads etc) do not work for "free", neither are the materials used for these facilities "free". In short, one way or another, we are going to pay for our infrastructure. On the one extreme we could have a 100% income tax rate with the government providing everything for "free" (the communist utopia, and we know that does not work, as was discovered by 1989); on the other hand we can have zero taxes and we pay for everything we need as we use them (the capitalist utopia, impractical to implement). The practical solution is a balance between the two extremes. As far as e-toll is concerned, the big noise comes from regular users who want it paid for by all tax payers, also those who never use these roads, so the users can have more money in their pockets (because the cost of these roads is paid for by more people) ... rather selfish, I think. Just like we can not reasonably expect everyone to pay for Eskom, regardless of whether they use (or even have) electricity, we can also not reasonably expect everyone to pay for freeways whether they use it or not. Stop this name calling and self-serving abuse of the system for your own selfish purposes and pay your flippen e-tolls!
    Couldn't have said it any better!!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast