Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Solar carport - require help/suggestions

Been toying with the idea to do solar on the roof for some time now. The roof structure will make this extremely difficult to do though. Things changed in the last couple of months and I need to build a single carport, maybe 2 single carports. It will not be an ideal facing ( NW I guess ) roof, it will be flat roof structure ( requirement by the estate building guidelines. )

Couple of questions.

- Do I build a std carport with corrugated iron roof and add the solar on top of it. Or use the panels to do the actual function of the roof? ( preferred option )

- is there a certain height to consider when designing/ planning to do a carport like this?

- Anyone out there that has done something similar and would like to help with directions?

I do not think to do this myself, but would like to feel a bit more educated when dealing with the people in the know. I am sure there are people in the Somerset west area that can help with the actual planning and construction of such a carport. Feel free to pm me.

Thank you
    Thinus
    2006 Pajero 3.2 Glx
    1991 Mercedes 560 sel
    2003 Mercedes Ml 320 (sold)

STOP DREAMING AND START LIVING!!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to one life live it For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Solar carport - require help/suggestions

A thought I have been toying with if we have to built a carport, is to use the panels as the roof sheets as ou also asking about.

So me, I'm "subscribed".
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Huge setup by Solareff done in my valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1IiwsxVzkM
    ZS6VL

Contact Cape Point Vineyards for details of what they did and who they used.
    Their visitors under-cover parking has a solar panel roof.

http://cpv.co.za/
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM
    Bush Lapa Bosluis B2464

Quite a number of companies have covered their car ports with panels. Some small office blocks are running off grid this way.

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    Huge setup by Solareff done in my valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1IiwsxVzkM
    Cool structures those.
    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Big installations. I am aiming for a lot smaller. More towards a single carport, maybe a 2nd one on the other side of the garage. It would be interesting to know if it would be possible to get it close to dry when using panels only. I have seen some ideas on the tube where they use a guttering system underneath the panels to drain away the water.
    2006 Pajero 3.2 Glx
    1991 Mercedes 560 sel

I can send some pics of mine. I had an existing carport that I just ran some ali mounting rails to and shoved the panels on top.

Not ideal, but the only way for me to get some solar.

Quote Originally Posted by one life live it View Post
    It would be interesting to know if it would be possible to get it close to dry when using panels only. I have seen some ideas on the tube where they use a guttering system underneath the panels to drain away the water.
    I belief if you can keep a shade cloth nearly waterproof like they erected at Klein Kariba you can do it with panels. Use a clear PVC underlay. Further it is worth a try to use the black glued foam strips between panels where they join. With purlin not too expensive use one 75mm under each joint.

I would also consider Heat buildup if you put it ontop of something else. The heat buildup has quite an impact on production, I believe. Having said that, a lot of installations is flat on the roof.

Just thinking.

Edit
    Thinking about my own ramblings....
    https://microcare.co.za/impact-of-te...specifications.
    Last edited by CeeZee; 2021/03/15 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
    I would also consider Heat buildup if you put it ontop of something else. The heat buildup has quite an impact on production, I believe. Having said that, a lot of installations is flat on the roof.

Just thinking.

Edit
    The general guideline is to leave 100 mm gap between panel AND 50mm or more gap between panels.

If you put 16 panels in a 4x4 grid with no gaps between them you are going to have serious heat buildup under the array.

However, whatever you do, with black or dark blue panels you are on a hiding to nowhere.

Interestingly, you get Hybrid PV panels where the heat is used to heat water, so you have PV solar and thermal solar in one panel.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

If you put 16 panels in a 4x4 grid with no gaps between them you are going to have serious heat buildup under the array.

However, whatever you do, with black or dark blue panels you are on a hiding to nowhere.
    But if the OP uses the panels as a roof then there is a 2m gap and good cooling should take place.

Or am I missing the real threat of a hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    But if the OP uses the panels as a roof then there is a 2m gap and good cooling should take place.

Or am I missing the real threat of a hiding.
    Good point....
    2006 Pajero 3.2 Glx
    1991 Mercedes 560 sel

I think the purpose of my thread is to try and find a company or member to help me make this happen. So far the solar companies I have contacted require me to supply them a structure to mount the panels. The carport companies does not have a clue to what is expected of the structure to carry the additional weight. Both industries require information from the other one. It boils down to me doing all the footwork and they do their thing in the end. Problem here is that I must make the decisions and take responsibility should something be incorrect in the end. If this was my trade by definition, not a problem. Unfortunately I am a product of Y-tube and Google. So my knowledge is flawed with the final assembly/manufacturing of such a system. Legislation of such a structure is another thing.
    2006 Pajero 3.2 Glx
    1991 Mercedes 560 sel

Quote Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post

Just thinking.

Edit

Considering the above remarks. I do grasp this concept. Interesting to read it again though. I think the losses is not a big concern for now. The panels will lay close to flat and will obviously not face true north or even close to the correct angle. The existing roof structure that is available is even less than ideal. I need a carport. The carport will offer some protection for our beloved Pajero. Considering the available roof space it can double as a start on a solar system.
    2006 Pajero 3.2 Glx
    1991 Mercedes 560 sel

A lot of solar panel makes has holes in the bottom part or the aluminium frame that can be used to attached it from the bottom.

If you take the normal steel structure that is used for corrugated roof and just attached the panels from the bottom with some rubber strips between the panels. That should work.

Corrugated sheet is 8kg. Solar panels is 23kg.

What is the standard single carport size, 3m x 5.4m. Meaning you would need 9 panels at least to fill the size. Solar panel size 2m x 1m.

Solar panels : 207kg
    Corrugated sheet : 72kg

They just need to cater for the extra 140kg of weight on the roof and the rest should be easy.
    “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011

May be you have to give an input to the guy building the car port. For up to 7mx3m use 6 pillars of 75x75. 75 lip channel down the centre length wise. 150 lip channel around the roof. Cross lip channels where each 2 panels join. You have to decide on the size of panels. Medium panels are 1640-1670x996.
    3.1mX5.1m can fit 3x3 panels.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/03/16 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi.Oost View Post
    A lot of solar panel makes has holes in the bottom part or the aluminium frame that can be used to attached it from the bottom.

If you take the normal steel structure that is used for corrugated roof and just attached the panels from the bottom with some rubber strips between the panels. That should work.

Corrugated sheet is 8kg. Solar panels is 23kg.

What is the standard single carport size, 3m x 5.4m. Meaning you would need 9 panels at least to fill the size. Solar panel size 2m x 1m.

Solar panels : 207kg
    Corrugated sheet : 72kg

They just need to cater for the extra 140kg of weight on the roof and the rest should be easy.
    Any roof steel structure should be designed to hold at least 50kg/msq
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

After some calls today, it seems as if this will end up being either a custom structure by my own doing, or close supervision. I can confirm that all solar companies down here expect a ready made structure to mount their panels to. Thank you for some info regarding structure strength etc.
    I have a meeting tomorrow with some parties to try and get to a feasible solution.

For now it seems that we will do one carport facing NNW with 9 panels (+- 3kW) and another small set (+-1.5kW) to try and get some NE sun in the morning.

The rest we will try and finalize within a week. Battery size, inverter size, charger size.
    2006 Pajero 3.2 Glx
    1991 Mercedes 560 sel

Quote Originally Posted by one life live it View Post
    I think the purpose of my thread is to try and find a company or member to help me make this happen. So far the solar companies I have contacted require me to supply them a structure to mount the panels. The carport companies does not have a clue to what is expected of the structure to carry the additional weight. Both industries require information from the other one. It boils down to me doing all the footwork and they do their thing in the end. Problem here is that I must make the decisions and take responsibility should something be incorrect in the end. If this was my trade by definition, not a problem. Unfortunately I am a product of Y-tube and Google. So my knowledge is flawed with the final assembly/manufacturing of such a system. Legislation of such a structure is another thing.
    Can I recommend your neighbor in Somerset West who has helped me in the set-up on my construction which is far from conventional *)1.

Check SOLARZONE

www.solarzone.co.za
    or
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...3922401409088/

and speak to Rainer Kempf

He is also offering complete solutions inclusive design, installation and maintenance plus he is doing remote monitoring (via www) of my system in Betty's Bay whilst I am in Botswana.

*)1 I used stainless steel pipes mounted across the roof tiles spaced about 300 mm from roof and constructed the aluminium supports for the panels with adjustable studs.
    "Yes" we have high wind in Betty's Bay and so far no damage in over 2 years.

Hope you come right then.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast