Default Td5 Oil Pressure at start up

Hello all,

First the good bit:

3 months and 10,000 km down the line we have been very happy with the 110. Now has a 1.8 x 2.4 RTT, twin batteries with NL controller for the Engel and Monroe HD Shocks. Visited Baviaanskloof last week (stayed at Rooihoek, absolutely beautiful) and the truck pretty much drove itself.

Now the bad bit:

When we bought the Defender it had just over 130k on the clock and a fsh with LR Midrand. Approaching 140k the oil light started staying on just a little longer than before on the first start of the day, but went out instantly when re-starting. I have changed the oil (Magnatec), both filters, and the oil pressure switch, but the problem is still there.

I spoke to the guys at LR Services in CPT when I was last down there, but they didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about, but with a trip planned around SA with the family in a month and a drive to Nairobi and back in April to see friends (and the rhino charge), I don't really want to just hope for the best.

I've been looking at the various UK / SA and AUS forums, but apart from the dreaded oil pump bolt and leaking injectors diluting the oil (neither of which seem to fit the bill) I haven't been able to find any clues.

The light now stays on long enough for me to count 'one thousand' and I'd rather invest some cash now to resolve this (if I have to) than wait for an expensive disaster, possibly in the middle of nowhere.

Has anyone else suffered from a similar problem? Any thoughts on possible causes / remedies or good Td5 engine men in my vicinity (just outside Plettenberg Bay) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ben.
    2004 Defender 110 TD5 CSW

Gentlemen,
    Any thoughts please before I splash out 7000 R on a new oil pump (in the hope that this might improve things)? I'm taking the sump off tomorrow to look at the bolt and pressure relief valve, other than that I'm stumped....
    Thanks,
    Ben.

Default Oil Pressure

Hi Murphy
    I would instal an oil pressure gauge and check out the actual pressure achieved , in particular how it varies with temperature.
    If it is within spec - Bingo - save R7000.
    If you still need to change the pump , then you will at least know whether or not the new pump has improved matters.

When in doubt , idiot lights are exactly that !

Cheers Dave

Dave,
    Will try and find a gauge somewhere this morning.
    Thanks,
    Ben.

Hi Murphy.
    How good is your turbo?A worn turbo bush can rob your engine of a lot of oilpressure.Remove the pipe from the aircleaner to the turbo and feel the play on the shaft.
    Regards.
    Marius

Hi Murphy

Firstly I must admit that I don't really pay attention to the dashlights if it doesn't stay on, so can't really recall how long my Defender's oil light stays on when starting. For some reason though I'm pretty sure it does stay on a bit longer if I just immediately start it as opposed to first switching ignition on and then start. It's always done that, but like I said I don't really pay attention if it doesn't stay on so could be mistaken.

If you do want someone to have a look just for peace of mind, Landy World in George is very good place to go.
    2011 M Benz GL450
    2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8 CrewMax
    2004 Range Rover V8 HSE

Thank you all,
    I have bought a pressure gauge and checked out the factory figures in the workshop manual. Will put the gauge in tomorrow and see what we have... Will also look at play in the turbo. I was only able to get an electrical gauge 'off-the-shelf' but have ordered a mechanical one which should be here tomorrow (call me old fashioned).
    I need to go to George in the near future to chase up my visa anyway, so a trip to Landy World certainly looks likely.
    Thanks again,
    Ben.

Right, the gauge is in (mechanical) and the figures are:

3 to 3.5 psi at cold idle
    4 to 4.5 psi at 3000 revs cold
    2.5 to 3 psi at hot idle

(I suspect gauge is half a psi optimistic judging by the 4.5 figure?)

It does however rise quite slowly (2 seconds to reach 3 psi) when first started -I am going to fit the electrical gauge tomorrow and see if the results are the same.

Any thoughts before I admit defeat and toddle off to Landy World (or similar)?

Thanks,
    Ben.

What figures are quoted in the manual ?

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the interest. By the way, I've just noticed that I've put psi in the above where it should be bar.

The figures in the manual are:

3 bar cold idle
    1.5 to 3 bar at 3500 revs -hot (personally I avoid going over 3000 on mine!)
    No figure given for hot idle.
    Pressure relief valve should open at 4 bar (hence my suspicion the gauge is reading slightly high).

As far as I can see, the figures seem to be ok -once the initial second or two has elapsed. I am just worried that I may be causing damage each time I start.
    I'll give the electric gauge a try as soon as the rain stops (think it may react quicker?).

Thanks,
    Ben.

Default Oil Pressure

Hi Murphy

Beginning to look like you dont have a problem.
    I assume no horrible rattles/clatters from engine in first few seconds ?

If your second gauge confirms pressure readings , I would say you are ok- better off than most , because now you can monitor true pressure and watch trends .

Cheers Dave

Hi, Murphy.
    I'm not too familiar with the LR engine - does the oil filter hang down or sit upside down? Some filters have a non-return valve which prevents the filter from draining when the engine gets switched off. I've had experience of some filters not sealing properly thereby having to be filled first before sending oil to the rest of the engine. If this is the case a filter replacement will do the job. This will result in the oil light staying on for a short while longer. Some brands of filters tend to be more problematic than others - If you do not use OEM (which are also branded GUD, FRAM or other makes) i've found GUD to be consistantly better than FRAM.

Thanks again all.
    Checked the turbo -little or no play.
    Will pick up an OE filter next time I'm in George, see if it makes any difference.
    Brother is bringing over a good second hand oil pump in his luggage as a precaution (1400R).
    Electrical gauge now permanently installed on dashboard -will be monitoring readings over the coming weekend -off to Baviaans again. Can't believe it's taken me almost 10 years of coming to this area to discover it.
    Cheers all,
    Ben.

Have fun , Ben

Its very important that you keep us up to date: that is how we all learn.

Cheers Dave

Default Re: Td5 Oil Pressure at start up

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Hello all,

First the good bit:

3 months and 10,000 km down the line we have been very happy with the 110. Now has a 1.8 x 2.4 RTT, twin batteries with NL controller for the Engel and Monroe HD Shocks. Visited Baviaanskloof last week (stayed at Rooihoek, absolutely beautiful) and the truck pretty much drove itself.

Now the bad bit:

When we bought the Defender it had just over 130k on the clock and a fsh with LR Midrand. Approaching 140k the oil light started staying on just a little longer than before on the first start of the day, but went out instantly when re-starting. I have changed the oil (Magnatec), both filters, and the oil pressure switch, but the problem is still there.

I spoke to the guys at LR Services in CPT when I was last down there, but they didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about, but with a trip planned around SA with the family in a month and a drive to Nairobi and back in April to see friends (and the rhino charge), I don't really want to just hope for the best.

I've been looking at the various UK / SA and AUS forums, but apart from the dreaded oil pump bolt and leaking injectors diluting the oil (neither of which seem to fit the bill) I haven't been able to find any clues.

The light now stays on long enough for me to count 'one thousand' and I'd rather invest some cash now to resolve this (if I have to) than wait for an expensive disaster, possibly in the middle of nowhere.

Has anyone else suffered from a similar problem? Any thoughts on possible causes / remedies or good Td5 engine men in my vicinity (just outside Plettenberg Bay) would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ben.
    Hi Ben,

I know it's been more than 10 years since you first posted this, but I have the same problem. Reading other threads it seems like it's not such unkomon for this engines to develop such problems. Unfortunatly I can't find a definitive answer to this dilema, even If someone said that replacing their bearings (knocks in wood) solved the problem would be better than just not knowing at all. I'm about to invest some big buks into my disco so I must ask you if replacing the pump solved this, or was the relief valve and how the Td5 behaved în the long run? I know it's been a while but any answer would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Cosmin
    Last edited by cosden365; 2021/06/05 at 10:53 AM.

Just keep in mind that the oil pressure isn't instantly there.

Oil bleeds back during the night and on first start it will take a little bit longer.
    If your oil pressure at operating temperature is within limits, it should be fine.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Thanks a lot, I also opened a new thread regarding this issue
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/343963-Td5-Oil-light-at-startup?p=4654864#post4654864
    Last edited by cosden365; 2021/06/06 at 11:56 AM.