Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Default Re: Project 2: Defender 130 V.3-Amigos ??

Some comments from yesterday.

Cobus have spend most of Wednesday to try and troubleshoot the fuel system.

I had to give some directions over the phone as I was in Kimberley, and so we found that somehow there are two live fuel lines connected to the fuel filter.

The TD5 fuel system is an interesting one - although certainly not unique for a modern diesel. It does takes some wits to understand it though.

Basically it works as follows:

1. Fuel from the tank is pumped at low pressure (0.7 Bar) through the fuel filter.

This is immediately where the confusion starts.

2. There fuel filter housing has 4 ports. The one port is for the low pressure supply from the pump - and that is the only live supply to the filter.

This means that with all pipes disconnected to the fuel filter, only one pipe should have fluid pumping out. (We had two...)

3. If the fuel filter is empty, there is a return port to the pump with an orifice in that will bleed out the air from the fuel filter.

4. Inside the fuel pump, this low pressure filtered fuel is fed internally to a second high pressure stage that goes to the fuel pressure regulator that feeds the injectors.

5. Initially then, this high pressure stage is fed through the orifice return and that is where things still goes a bit slow in terms of supply volume to the injectors. By this time, fuel supply to the motor is still not sufficient to make it run properly.

6. However, once the injector circuit is filled, the fuel not used by the injectors is fed through the fuel cooler and goes with a low pressure line back to the fuel filter where it is filtered a second time.

The reason for this second filter stage is that should you have a damaged fuel cooler, water may enter the fuel and you absolutely want that water to rather go to the filter.

7. When the return feed starts coming back from the fuel cooler, the volume flow picks up and for that there is a second return line to the fuel pump. This is when the supply volume increase to normal and then you can start the engine.

On our vehicle, the pipes we grossly miss configured and both the low pressure and high pressure lines were connected to the fuel filter housing.

Since this filter housing certainly is not designed for 4 Bar, my only conclusion is that the pump never managed to make 4 bar and the injectors were fed in reverse from the fuel cooler side with 0.7 Bar pressure only.

I can only imagine how they battled their butts off to get air out as this could not be done automatically. With that, the pump screamed like a pig.

When we took out the tank on Thursday, the pipes in that region were joined multiple times with the wrong couplings and every type of hose they could find. Plastic, rubber, nylon. I was pretty surprised not to find a Checkers bag in there somewhere.

I went to sleep and decided that there is only one way and that is to replace ALL the lines with brand new piping, so Friday morning was spend to find a place that could supply met a 10m uncut section of 8mm fuel line. Not easy to find a good quality pipe mind you.

That said, I came back with a R 70/m Continental "made in USA" pipe and we pulled new lines through. In total, R 1000 of fuel line went in.

Then the moment of truth. We plugged in the lines, connected the pump electrically (after replacing the plug) and turned the key. Great was our joy when we finally got the expected live line at the fuel pressure regulator.

We dumped about two liters of fuel in a container to make 100% sure all dirt is out of the pipe before connecting it.

As we connected it and activated the auto bleed cycle, the pump quickly became more and more silent and we could clearly hear the sound of healthy fuel delivery through the cooler and filter.

We waited a few minutes for the air bubble sounds to die and for the battery to charge.

In the mean time I checked the status of all the sensors on the Nanocom and finally the moment of truth arrived!

With my foot flat on the accelerator, the motor swung, fired and missed and I heard the scream of joy from Cobus as he realised what was coming.

On the second try the motor fired and settled into idle almost immediately.

By this time, I had only 3 litres of oil in the engine. We stopped the engine and filled the sump up with diesel to flush it out.

I had her run for 5 minutes, drained the oil, out came some water, grey sludge and then thinned oil. I replaced both filters and filled her up with full synthetic for another start.

All we found is that the alternator does not charge, so we will focus on that this morning and I guess then the van will go for a first test run!!!

Some people may think that attempting a project like this is madness, but I guess it depends on what you want out of it.

To sort out a vehicle in the poor state it was, has distinct advantages as you get to know and understand it very intimately.

For us, this is vitally important for the next journey we plan for our family.
    Last edited by biltong; 2021/05/29 at 07:23 AM.
    “The price of stability is unpreparedness.”

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Koos, ek het so 'n ligte misfire gehoor op die enjin. Is dit nou uitgesorteer?
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Koos, ek het so 'n ligte misfire gehoor op die enjin. Is dit nou uitgesorteer?
    Nee, ek sal nog nie sê alles is perfek nie.

Die battery is bietjie moeg, en dit kan nogal maak dat die goed op idle mis want die alternator se spanning mors rond..
    Last edited by biltong; 2021/05/29 at 03:44 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Today was some more intense testing. I had Cobus run the car around the blocks for more than an hour.

All issue is that the front diff oil leaks badly through the balls. Seems we might have missed a seal...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Sounds like there may be a damaged or missing seal in the axle tube just behind the flange that bolts the axle to the swivel housing if anything similar to my series III setup

Seems the axle leak was a false alarm. All gone now after some driving...

That said, we took the testing up notch by notch pushing it harder and harder, stopping in between to see if all is still well.

It performed flawlessly and now after work I took it for a hard run on highway and gravel.

Handling is fantastic. With all the ball joints and suspension bushes replaced, steering is super direct and it runs over corrugations without rattles.

I cannot wait to take her on a long trip.

The motor itself pulls strong and the 1.2 Ratio transfer case makes a huge difference in cruising capability.

Now I can pull in 4th gear 100km/h at 2800 rpm, which will give strong performance in the safe tow gear.

With all the boxes done and side shaft replaced, there is hardly any drive train backlash.

All I can say is WOW!!

The effort was so worth it!
    Last edited by biltong; 2021/05/31 at 05:43 PM.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Day 2 of testing.

Pok I am envious I am not the one to have had it today.

But I Guess Cobus deserves some recognition for his hard work.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

And Jagsbakkie completed a good week of duty.

I am very chuffed with how she is running.

We still need to resolve the rough idle when hot, but other than that the lady is a a thrill to drive with tons of character.

The rebuilt gearboxes are still a bit stiff, but I expect it to smooth out with some running.

Part 2...

Now we need to get the V8 back to Td5.

We got her running today with a new fuel pump and a few other tickles.

This going to be a different challenge.

Engine conversions are nothing but rape. The ef up everything from wiring harnesses, to radiators, to engine mounts.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    And Jagsbakkie completed a good week of duty.

I am very chuffed with how she is running.

We still need to resolve the rough idle when hot, but other than that the lady is a a thrill to drive with tons of character.

The rebuilt gearboxes are still a bit stiff, but I expect it to smooth out with some running.

Part 2...

Now we need to get the V8 back to Td5.

We got her running today with a new fuel pump and a few other tickles.

This going to be a different challenge.

Engine conversions are nothing but rape. The ef up everything from wiring harnesses, to radiators, to engine mounts.

Sigh.
    there is nothing wrong with a conversion that are done properly, wiring radiators and mounts can be 100% neat
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Neat perhaps.

But you don't rape Landys.

Toys are fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    there is nothing wrong with a conversion that are done properly, wiring radiators and mounts can be 100% neat

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Neat perhaps.

But you don't rape Landys.

Toys are fine.
    I have 2 Landies and done 2 more for ppl there is nothing wrong with putting conversions in Landies it is not raping them as you say, may be you think it is but that your choice
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Double post
    Last edited by clivemd; 2021/06/05 at 08:15 PM.
    2005 Defender TD5

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8