Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CCTV camera advise needed

Hello all, my friends house just get robbed by 4 armed gunmen, luckily nobody was at home and so no injuries, he does have a armed reaction security unit that was called out, but within 5 min the robbers were in and out and got away.
    As per attached image this footage was from a neighbours house and it help sweet [email protected]#$all ,nada niks from bad quality low spec camera.

Please give me some advice for what spec camera is needed that could capture a proper image where you could at least read the registration number when footage are playback....

Dont want to buy shares in the market just looking for a decent quality camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: CCTV camera advise needed

For vehicle registration numbers the camera placement is more important than the resolution, 1080p and up should do the trick.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I have Hikvision digital IP cameras at home and at work. They are expensive, but they just work and the quality is brilliant.

That said, I think you would struggle with number plates over any longer distance.

See how "good" the image of my courtyard looks? See when I try to zoom in on the Yaris' number plate?

See image from my house camera with the street view, you would have easily read my number plate (if I had one) but it's only because it is close range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.0.0.30_12_20210311144432365.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	330.6 KB 
ID:	608816

Name:	10.0.0.30_12_20210311144415287.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	608817

Name:	20210311_123858000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	608822
    Current: 2021 Fiat Panda 900T 4x4

SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    I have Hikvision digital IP cameras at home and at work. They are expensive, but they just work and the quality is brilliant.
    What specific series/model number

And even if you had the number plate, it's probably a stolen car in any case.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    And even if you had the number plate, it's probably a stolen car in any case.
    More probably stole plates from the same type and colour vehicle.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

You want a camera with some level of intelligence built in, we use Hikvision Accusense cameras. All cameras have motion detection but in my experience that is pretty useless as moving branches triggers it. With the Accusense system you can define intrusion or line crossing zones which works brilliantly.

Edit, we have 4 of these.
    https://www.hikvision.com/my/product...D2T26G1-2I-4I/

I have four at the office, you cannot get within 3m of our office building without us knowing about it as it happens. Our cameras are also connected to a response company as soon as any zone is breached do they monitor and respond.

After an incident there is nothing more disappointing than bad CCTV footage....

Personally I would rather have less cameras in order to get decent kit, than many almost useless camera.

Also remember that cameras are targeted for theft, you need to ensure they are adequately protected.
    Last edited by Dirk; 2021/03/11 at 03:38 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willem01 View Post
    What specific series/model number
    I have these at home: https://wcctv.co.za/shop/hikvision/h...mera-with-poe/

They are newer than the ones I have at work.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kix For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    More probably stole plates from the same type and colour vehicle.
    Your right but at least the search could be faster to track them down with a proper image to start of from

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Willem01 For This Useful Post:

Also keep in mind if you want to be able to capture a number plate you will need probably at least 4mp, on our 2mp cameras if the vehicle is close we can see, but if they drive past at the wrong angle you cannot make it out, we have now installed another front camera purely for license plate identification and linked it up with the Snipr system.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    You want a camera with some level of intelligence built in, we use Hikvision Accusense cameras. All cameras have motion detection but in my experience that is pretty useless as moving branches triggers it. With the Accusense system you can define intrusion or line crossing zones which works brilliantly.

Edit, we have 4 of these.
    https://www.hikvision.com/my/product...D2T26G1-2I-4I/

I have four at the office, you cannot get within 3m of our office building without us knowing about it as it happens. Our cameras are also connected to a response company as soon as any zone is breached do they monitor and respond.

After an incident there is nothing more disappointing than bad CCTV footage....

Personally I would rather have less cameras in order to get decent kit, than many almost useless camera.

Also remember that cameras are targeted for theft, you need to ensure they are adequately protected.
    As mentioned, I have these. The one at my gate is always "armed" and is not triggered by vehicles. It is however triggered by birds, cats, etc. The ones around my yard is armed after 22:00 and is also triggered by cats and the like. How do I tell the cameras to ignore these line crossings?

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    As mentioned, I have these. The one at my gate is always "armed" and is not triggered by vehicles. It is however triggered by birds, cats, etc. The ones around my yard is armed after 22:00 and is also triggered by cats and the like. How do I tell the cameras to ignore these line crossings?
    Try and reduce the min object size.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

TopCCTV can supply these cameras, chat to Alan.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum.../3285-wildgear

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Try and reduce the min object size.
    Thanks I'll have a scratch around the settings when I get home.

Cameras need a recording system. As the robbers tend to have inside info they often go for the recorder. There are options to upload the feed to a hidden server or to a cloud in addition to the recorder.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Cameras need a recording system. As the robbers tend to have inside info they often go for the recorder. There are options to upload the feed to a hidden server or to a cloud in addition to the recorder.
    Not correct.

These cameras do not need a recording system, they can record on SD card, or you can record to a PC using IVMS software.
    If you installing cameras primarily for alerts then adding the NVR is not needed, it can link to your phone, and record on the SD card.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

If the purpose is to be able to identify those who break in then you need the camera feed recorded in a way that it cannot be lost. What the robber demands first? Phones, computers, money, guns... I know too many cases where recording devises were taken, in companies switched off....

Not correct.

These cameras do not need a recording system, they can record on SD card, or you can record to a PC using IVMS software.
    If you installing cameras primarily for alerts then adding the NVR is not needed, it can link to your phone, and record on the SD card.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Just finishing up quite a big CCTV project, we eventually went with Dahua cameras and their standard free video management system. Cameras aren't cheap but buy right and you'll have the resolution you need. In most areas we used 4mp bullet cameras, designed for freezers, but not unaffordable and do an exceptional job. The varifocal ones can zoom where you need it. The free VMS now allows for virtual trip wires to be set up so they act like beams but with nothing physical out there. The tech has moved at a hell of a pace, consult some proper professionals.

Number plate recognition now an accessible thing too, records the registration number and can - for a price - be linked to eNatis, but doubt that'll be useful, smash and grab plates are always false.

Not correct.

This is an option we might use, even on big corporate projects, I need to figure out how much high Res 4mp video you can store. The bonus of a decent camera is setting up motion detection and recording only the stuff you'll want to see. Cuts down massively on storage requirements.

Depending on if you have Poe or analog system. Reditron has decent cameras at reasonable prices. I've got analog system with them at home. Client has Dahau system which has cameras I installed that cover whole perimeter of property and security company has fitted tram lines which trigger should anyone intrude. 4mp units give clear pic of anything happening. I do camera installations as well. Sick and tired of cheapo install our other brethren do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast