Default How do you pack your BushLapa?

Hi,

I am still in the process of deciding what caravan I want to buy. On my short list is a BushLapa and a BushLapa...

I recently rented a Baobab 4 to test. My bakkie towed it OK, average speed of about 110km/h, long hills the speed dropped to 80km/h couple of times. I never got frustrated with the speed or towing ability, but on longer trips I might? We only camped about 150km away from home.

Anyway, I could not really fault the BL except for the awning. Setup was quick and easy, but putting it back in the bag was one hell of a mission. Many swear words and lots of sweat later we managed to get the bag closed, put the poles next to the fridge where we found them and off we went. I must add this particular one had an awning that extended around the front all the way to the front bed, maybe the bag was just to small for this extra extension. No shortage of packing space what so ever. Actually to much. We liked the rear outside cupboard for all the washing up stuff, pipes etc.

But... I cant stop thinking about a Gogga, especially after struggling with that awning so much, the lighter weight, easier towing, maneuvering etc.
    I also only need a two sleeper.

So I went to BL again over the weekend to look at all the new changes they made for 2021. I basically cant make up my mind between a Baobab 3 and a Kewer.

The Kewer seems to be all I need, but I have some reservations:

1. The bed is too short for me. my feet hang off the end. They can supply a longer mattress, but then it will go over the backrest of the one bench. Being an engineer myself and a bit OCD, this will just look like a bad afterthought.
    2. The table is to low. My knees knock the bottom of the table and the support gusset on the leg. This can easily be solved by increasing the height.
    3. There is not enough space under the benches to store the awning side panels. Apparently you need to put the bag loose inside the van.
    4. If the Hansen geyser is now standard, the front side box becomes quite a bit smaller, so less space to store side panels/ground sheets etc.
    5. The loose cushions on the benches that move and fall over all the time irritates me a bit. That can probably be solved with some velco I guess.
    6. Getting in and out is not the most comfortable, I know you don't live inside, but with the table in there it is sort of the point to use it in bad weather for instance.
    7. The new shower wing is not practical at all I think. It basically opens right over the side window. So you must either have the shower or the window. A loose standing shower cubicle will work must better I think.

If you do a short stay over or the weather is good, there is no need for the side panels or ground sheets etc.

1. Where do you guys store these in a Kewer without leaving it lie loose inside and putting it somewhere outside once at the camp site? I like having items stored in a specific place so there is no need to re-pack, move around etc.
    2. The one on the showroom floor had the wash basin and drying rack in the nose cone, basically filling that space as well.
    2. How do you guys pack your BL's? What do you typically put where?

The Baobab just seems to be so much more comfortable and better thought out than the Kewer (for my size and OCD)

I just can't decide if the extra cost and weight is worth it, or if I will wish I had a smaller van in the future?

And BTW, SWAMBO loves the Kewer...
    Last edited by BlueRocket; 2021/03/11 at 01:08 PM.
    Ford Ranger XLT Double Cab 4x4
    Auto Union 1000 (DKW)

Default Re: How do you pack your BushLapa's?

We had a Boabab 3 and for 2 people it is very big and can pack it nice and easily. It is bigger and a bit heavier to tow but not a major difference. My wife preferred the kewer size so we changed to it and I must admit it is a great option.

If you are big I can see a problem with the seating at the table. Also the bed for tall people could be an issue as you mention. But if I am correct the Kewer and Baobab beds are the same size.

The standard bushwing is very easy to set up and close up again. The side-awning bag I remove from the van when we get to campsite and I put it in the boot of my car.

I prefer a pop up shower so don't have the shower option. I thought the new shower option slides forward and is now where the geyser would be so you don't block the door where the table is.

I do not like the new geyser option with the smaller door, so would try order it with the old spec.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    We had a Boabab 3 and for 2 people it is very big and can pack it nice and easily. It is bigger and a bit heavier to tow but not a major difference. My wife preferred the kewer size so we changed to it and I must admit it is a great option.

If you are big I can see a problem with the seating at the table. Also the bed for tall people could be an issue as you mention. But if I am correct the Kewer and Baobab beds are the same size.

The standard bushwing is very easy to set up and close up again. The side-awning bag I remove from the van when we get to campsite and I put it in the boot of my car.

I prefer a pop up shower so don't have the shower option. I thought the new shower option slides forward and is now where the geyser would be so you don't block the door where the table is.

I do not like the new geyser option with the smaller door, so would try order it with the old spec.

The bed on the Baobab is quite a bit longer, I think about 110mm. It doesn't sound that much, but makes a huge difference when I lie on it.

The new shower wing is fixed right above the side window. It folds open with 2 arm similar to the bushwing, then it also needs two support poles to the ground. So once you set it up, I don't think will want to fold it back up daily just to be able to use the window in the van. One thing that is nice, is you can leave the window open when you shower. So you are sort of inside the van. If you really want to, you can probably get a step and climb inside though the window.
    Auto Union 1000 (DKW)

I have a miskruier (bought 2nd hand) and the previous owner had a smaller bag made in which you can fit about 3 sidewalls.
    So I normally only take the sidewalls I think will be necessary for the specific trip. This bag does fit under my side bed.
    So basically only take the amount you are likely to use.

I only take all the sidewalls and draft skirts when I know I will use them all. When I travel with all in the big bag I normally would travel with it in the back of my vehicle. (personal choice)

The side wall bag provided by BL is a bit too large.

I had another one made perfectly to size which take all the sides and the skirt.

It gets strapped on top of the ammo boxes in the back of the car. I don't like it under the bed but prefer is easily accessible; there have been times when you need to put up a side(s) pronto and they are easier to reach in the car.

I also dislike the new shower set-up. Luckily we have never had the need for a shower attached to the van and uses a pop-up cubicle when absolutely necessary.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by HiluxRoux View Post
    I have a miskruier (bought 2nd hand) and the previous owner had a smaller bag made in which you can fit about 3 sidewalls.
    So I normally only take the sidewalls I think will be necessary for the specific trip. This bag does fit under my side bed.
    So basically only take the amount you are likely to use.

I only take all the sidewalls and draft skirts when I know I will use them all. When I travel with all in the big bag I normally would travel with it in the back of my vehicle. (personal choice)

This is more or less what I was thinking as well. Ground sheets for instance are dirty things, so I want them outside in nose boxes for example.

Ideally I would like to keep all camping stuff in the van ready to go when I want to use it, just hook up and go without packing equipment and wonder what I will need. I used to camp with a Jimny in my younger days, so I am used to not packing unnecessary items. I just want the "comfort" of not having to pack and unpack every time.

I absolutely hate packing. Even if I have to stay over for work somewhere, packing an overnight bag makes me "moedeloos"
    Auto Union 1000 (DKW)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocket View Post
    This is more or less what I was thinking as well. Ground sheets for instance are dirty things, so I want them outside in nose boxes for example.

Ideally I would like to keep all camping stuff in the van ready to go when I want to use it, just hook up and go without packing equipment and wonder what I will need. I used to camp with a Jimny in my younger days, so I am used to not packing unnecessary items. I just want the "comfort" of not having to pack and unpack every time.

I absolutely hate packing. Even if I have to stay over for work somewhere, packing an overnight bag makes me "moedeloos"
    With YR and Windfinder being so accurate one donít really get surprised by the weather.

I normally only take 3 sides - next to kitchen, the 2 at the back entrance.

Unless I see there is a storm predicted.

Just get a Vlooi, plenty packing space, tows like a dream!

Sit outside..

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

we are also two people - Just get the Miskruier with Z roof and old geyser.

I had the bed on the rightside made longer and put a memory foam topper on it.

I store the side walls in the space between the fridge slide and the nosecone wall - I use a piece of loose Plywood to prevent the sidewall from getting caught in the fridge slide.
    I also have put each sidewall into a pillow case labelled with its position and store those used more frequently near the geyser side door.

I also made the front bed into a 3/4 bed which makes it far easier to manipulate .
    the groundsheet is stored onthe floor of the Fridge compartment between the end of the fridge abd the geyser, I also put mt Madkon fold up braai here as well as a emergency 4kg bag of charcoal here.

I also only use 1 x 5kg gas cylinder with a Y piece to feed the geyser as well as gas plate - never run out of gas yet.

we have a shower that slides inline and rearwards of the van- BUT use a separate collapsible 10 bucket with a submersible pump for my shower. We decant the correct amount of water and temp into the bucket and then use the hand shower with submersible pump - no wastage of water whein in the bundu

3 weeks ago I bought a BOSLUIS 2 and am absolutely stunned and amazed at how much bigger the inside is compared to a Miskruier- the complete roofwidth opens from the side, the bed nook panel is 10cm higher and as the roof swings open from the side there is no "tunnel effect" . The kitchen is 10cm higher and 15cm wider that the Miskruier which makes a HUGE difference . The fridge / stove area is approx 150mm narrower than a Miskruier but we still fit all the miskruier cooking ware and cutlery in easily. Obviously ideal for overnight 2/3 day stays but not longer where one wants to drive around. At this stage keeping the Miskruier for longer stays -( yes I know- Overkill!!)
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    The side wall bag provided by BL is a bit too large.

I had another one made perfectly to size which take all the sides and the skirt.

It gets strapped on top of the ammo boxes in the back of the car. I don't like it under the bed but prefer is easily accessible; there have been times when you need to put up a side(s) pronto and they are easier to reach in the car.

I also dislike the new shower set-up. Luckily we have never had the need for a shower attached to the van and uses a pop-up cubicle when absolutely necessary.
    We always Shower next to our Summit Everest Trailer > Wife doesnt enjoy Messy Ablution Blocks and COVID times the Less times you are required to use the Ablutions the Better and places like Rooiputs and Polentswa etc she feels safer in her Supplied with Trailer Shower Tent

Quote Originally Posted by putta View Post
    3 weeks ago I bought a BOSLUIS 2 and am absolutely stunned and amazed at how much bigger the inside is compared to a Miskruier. At this stage keeping the Miskruier for longer stays -( yes I know- Overkill!!)
    Joh...the best of both worlds . The Bosluis idea is really growing on me...
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

We have an older Miskruier. I personally prefer simplicity so we don't have the geyser or shower options for example. But to answer some of your questions:

1. This is a bit of a personal one. Personally I like my feet hanging off the end (I hate a bed with a board or bars at the feet) and we sleep with our feet inwards so it's fine for us.
    2. We don't have the table so I can't help you on this one either.
    3. We store the bag with side panels in the front right compartment (with a loose solar panel as well). We don't have the geyser so there is plenty space. It's also the side that stands next to the wall in the garage so it's nice that we don't need to access it at home.
    4. I'm a bit surprised that the geyser would be standard. BL's were always sold basic with a long list of optional add-on's to customize the van to your needs. Surely they can build a new one without the geyser.
    5. Sorry, can't help with this one either.
    6. It is maybe slightly uncomfortable (the benefit being that the BL fits in a standard garage) but I haven't found it to be a real issue.
    7. Again, this is personal, but I don't see the benefit of the shower given the price one pays. Many years ago we bought a pop-up shower tent (few hundred bucks) and it works fine with a solar shower or one of those pressure bottles that one use to spray weeds (with normal warm water and no weed killer of course )

1. Answered above
    2. No basin for us. We have a small bowl with strings that hangs under the tap at the back. Then we do dishes either at the ablusions or on the alu table we take along.
    2. We have the long continuous nose box (no cut out in the middle) which takes a lot: ground nets, lead, shovel, gas bottle, "swart pot", bread pan, broom, etc. Then front right goes the bag with side walls and reflective flysheets, solar panel, pop-up cupboard and wind break, under the bed goes extra food, toilet paper, shower tent, washing line and pegs, toolbox with extra lights. Table and chairs go inside the van (though originally we had the chairs in the front right compartment).

Oh, and the Miskruier tows like a dream, even fully loaded, behind our old Navara.

I hope this helps a bit. It sounds like a BL without the shower and geyser will suit you.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Joh...the best of both worlds . The Bosluis idea is really growing on me...

come have a look - I have looked at hese a number of times over the last 4 years and eventually saw the light and the price was right with 2018 LC79 V6 33000km - just spent a load on soundproofing the 79SC - took me 4 days!! but what a difference- we can talk normally at 120km/h -
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to putta For This Useful Post:

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Have a look at the Armadillo Shack. I know people that were on their way to order a BL and saw the shack and turned away from BL.

We are in Gordon's Bay if you want to have a look at ours.

There's a nice second hand shack on sale on Gumtree at the moment.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-caravans...40910016784509

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Have a look at the Armadillo Shack. I know people that were on their way to order a BL and saw the shack and turned away from BL.

We are in Gordon's Bay if you want to have a look at ours.

There's a nice second hand shack on sale on Gumtree at the moment.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-caravans...40910016784509
    What about an Amarok or Pajero?
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post: