Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nothing works any more

Am I the only one that's having problems getting anything done nowadays? Currently the balls I have up in the air are:

A package being couriered to me. 2-3 days as per the website. Sent 08:15 Monday morning. Delivery "hopefully tomorrow"
    Building materials I ordered. 3-5 days as per invoice. Ordered 4th March, delivery "maybe Tuesday or Wednesday"
    An electronic device in for assessment/repair. Dropped Friday 5th, feedback expected Monday or Tuesday. Called today, nobody knows yet.
    We won't even unpack my "as you wait" phone repair that needed a part and is apparently now ready 3 weeks later, although I was told this 2 weeks ago and found out last week it hadn't been started.

Mix of big national companies to hole in the wall
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Default Re: Nothing works any more

Yeah, feel your frustration.

Need a battery for my car remote, can't find stock.
    Absa informed me that my Debit card is expiring, and I need to use their app to get replacement. I did that, they cancelled current card, issued new one, and I was stuck for a week without a card. Imagine the first time I went to the shops and my card wouldn't work. Numerous phone calls and all I got was "Sorry", no-one tried to get me a card faster.
    Need brakes for my mom's audi, my usual place has gone down the drain. No stock, but maybe if you bring the car in? I mean what the hell would the difference be, do they have a machine that magically makes them when your vehicle stops there (I did find another place that seems like I will be getting great service from).
    Phoned a spares shop for Brake pads and sensor for the BMW. They have stock. This was on Saturday. Rush there to make it in time, and then they couldn't find the sensor, so I had to go to another spares shop.

O, and in about 8 minutes time I am going to have to start the generator to continue working, since Eksdom is broken again.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Waiting since 5th March for Std Bank to fix the "No service, try again later" issue.
    I received an SMS informing me that my problem has been resolved and the query was now closed.
    I AM NOW at least able to access my Dashboard(s) and can see my balances, print statements and do transactions.
    However when trying to move between alternative actions or transactions I keep on getting the Service unavailable error - so it is all fixed, right?
    Then there is:
    Getting my vehicle license renewed without having to stand (sit) in queues in unacceptable circumstances (Covid at the very least) and even if going there finding the office closed due to whatever, or offline or ..
    Then there is .... OK I agree.
    Things generally are deteriorating fast, mostly government department related or SOE related or service (non) delivery related.
    But private companies are not all excluded.
    Remember when .... Oh, don't bother.
    P'd off generally.

Thank goodness we do not live forever ... it may well turn out to be a mercy. (RANT now officially over, from my side anyway).
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

I feel your frustration.

On Friday last week I had a certain company pick a parcel to be couriered to Stutterheim from Umdloti. I took all the measurements and weight and got a quote. R218.50. On Monday i get an email to say my dimensions are wrong. Not by a little, A LOT. and I have to pay an additional R356.50. I nearly paid, but then thought, no way. I can read a tape measure!.
    I then requested them to take new measurements at the East London depot and send me photographic proof of the measurements whilst holding tape measure next to box.
    Needless to say an email came back that my measurements were correct. Their excuse. The driver put wrong measurements on waybill.
    Now my question. How often does this happen and somebody just happily pays the difference?

Rant over. Enjoy the rest of the day Ladies & Gentleman
    John

2011 Pajero Sport 3.2 DiD
    2003 Disco 2 TD5 (Given to son)
    2014 Jurgens XT75 (Sold)

apparently the government gazette has not been published for a couple of month's either.

the problem with that is that some legal notifications can not be done and new laws and proposals not published either

actually a bit of a problem but very under the radar
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

I have a small hobby business making some Landy goodies. Laser cutting generally late by 2 to 3 days from quoted time. Powder coating that should take 2 to 3 days now sometimes 5 to 6 days.

Problem is I am VERY strict on quality and both these suppliers is up to standard and others are not quite there.
    Phillip Dreyer Me Defender TD5 110 (Betty Boob) Swambo Defender TD5 90 (Komba) VW Caddy (MINIROK) Land Rover Series 2A (Lilly)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryCH View Post
    apparently the government gazette has not been published for a couple of month's either.

the problem with that is that some legal notifications can not be done and new laws and proposals not published either

Since the State of Disaster was proclaimed a year ago we have been living under government by decree.

Squirrel says it, Kopdoek signs it, Government Gazette publishes it, it becomes law.

That will mean that the last regulations regarding Covid that were published are still in effect...
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Barry, it gets even better. Tenders can also not get advertised. There is an alternative, national treasury's eTender portal... but that is also down. So you have to visit whatever random spot the organ of state can manage to advertise on to find opportunities.

It will be interesting to see where this matter is going to end.

yep actually a bit scary, i did not grasp the consequences at first

i hope they get it going again soon
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

The OP says nothing is working, but me thinks that almost nobody is working as well. In another thread Jouko complained about property agents not bothering with a potential big sale
    Last edited by Spook; 2021/03/11 at 04:21 PM.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Also a problem for deceased estates. We cannot advertise and therefore cannot place L & D accounts for inspection at the Magistrates Court. That means you can't get permission to distribute and everything sits in limbo.

Let's not forget that getting the letters of executorship to begin with is a diabolic process. On the one hand you dump documents in a box on the streets of JHB CBD because staff cannot meet with members of the public. This means they are more often lost than anything else. Then because the doors are closed to prying eyes everyone sits around on their cell phones. Now that we are allowed into their buildings the running joke is that you can't find particular staff members because they are busy with their paying clients (nudge nudge wink wink)

There are so many processes that are dependent on a Gazetted date.

And I have a feeling this is going to go on for a while... that's why I'm curious to see where this matter is going to end. The knock on effect is going to snowball at an alarming rate. What is going to happen when (or if) they get going again? Everything that gets Gazetted has legal implications.

COVID is a beetch
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    COVID is a beetch
    Robert, from rumours it seems there has been problems at the GPW long before Covid. I'm not convinced that it's due to that. At worst, it was the last nail in the coffin.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Robert, from rumours it seems there has been problems at the GPW long before Covid. I'm not convinced that it's due to that. At worst, it was the last nail in the coffin.
    Indeed. I battled to get payment in 2018/2019
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

I know there are supply chain delays for a lot of products. If you are towards the end of the line you tell your customer what your supplier tells you.

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

I've noticed a sort of employee entropy taking hold. So many people working from home that the little "people maintenance" jobs not getting done. Only about 1/20 employees are self-starters, the rest need a kick up the #rse daily. Not being in a shared office means managers need to keep an eye on systems to see the wheels are turning and these ways of working haven't taken hold. My entire job is making sure people and systems work together, it's exhausting at the moment. I find I'm doing my suppliers jobs for them, and partly managing my suppliers relationships with their suppliers (very often overseas). Local government service, gutted and non-functional. That's partly Covid but mostly politics. Just like loadshedding which is now just a political weapon of the RET thugs. Every time De Ruiter does something about governance the criminals inside Eskom manufacture breakdowns and then launch attacks. It's hard to see how it can get worse but I'm pretty sure it can, this ride isn't over yet.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Government staff get full pay when not working. Either via lockdown, loadshedding or whatever.

It spirals from there. Once you get used to full pay for no work done....

I will be on my deathbed in a few decades time when this has fully recovered from last 2 decades of toiletries from "guvvament".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Waiting since 5th March for Std Bank to fix the "No service, try again later" issue.
    I received an SMS informing me that my problem has been resolved and the query was now closed.
    I AM NOW at least able to access my Dashboard(s) and can see my balances, print statements and do transactions.
    However when trying to move between alternative actions or transactions I keep on getting the Service unavailable error - so it is all fixed, right?
    Then there is:
    Getting my vehicle license renewed without having to stand (sit) in queues in unacceptable circumstances (Covid at the very least) and even if going there finding the office closed due to whatever, or offline or ..
    Then there is .... OK I agree.
    Things generally are deteriorating fast, mostly government department related or SOE related or service (non) delivery related.
    But private companies are not all excluded.
    Remember when .... Oh, don't bother.
    P'd off generally.

Thank goodness we do not live forever ... it may well turn out to be a mercy. (RANT now officially over, from my side anyway).
    Peter Peter >> Get 'Que for You ' to go and get your licences renewed < Country wide I believe and great service >> so what if its Double the price >> better than getting Covid at our age>> We used them twice in the last 5 months to renew Licences. Friendly phone call 'Come get your Licence ' Just like getting a guy to do your tax >> havent done that since 1984 myself >>Did you get 'Rent a Nerd' to sort out your computer Prob
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/03/12 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Just like loadshedding which is now just a political weapon of the RET thugs. Every time De Ruiter does something about governance the criminals inside Eskom manufacture breakdowns and then launch attacks.
    That kind of behaviour requires extrajudicial solutions to rectify.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast