Default Advice: Hiking near Gurue, Mozambique

About 2 years ago, we hiked up to some of Dr. Julian Bayliss' former research camps on Mt. Mabu. We had a wonderful time.

Traveling from Lilongwe, MW, we're looking for another off-the-beaten-track hiking trip for this upcoming Easter.
    I was wondering if anyone has experience exploring some of the smaller mountains northeast of Mabu? Perhaps hear Gurue?

Thanks,
    Zach

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 2.02.22 AM.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	608786
    Last edited by worldofinflation; 2021/03/11 at 09:10 AM.

Default Re: Advice: Hiking near Gurue, Mozambique

That area is getting a bit close to Cabo Delgado so I personally wouldn't take the risk with terrorism and some overlanders would make a very juicy target for ISIL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurg...n_Cabo_Delgado

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    That area is getting a bit close to Cabo Delgado so I personally wouldn't take the risk with terrorism and some overlanders would make a very juicy target for ISIL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurg...n_Cabo_Delgado
    Naah, Gurue is many miles away from any of the Cabo Delgado action. But the terrain is very rugged, and relatively unexplored other than by the locals. It's also been on my hit list for a while, especially Mount Namuli which is a birding hotspot, and linked ecologically (as in historic remnant habitats) to the Usambaras and Udzungwa in Tanzania. Two of the birding specials are the Namuli apalis and the dapplethroat.
    I checked back in my research archive and probably the best reading on the subject is a report on an expedition done in 1999 by ornithologists from UCT's Fitzpatrick Institute, led by Peter Ryan. You can read the report here
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2021/03/11 at 12:46 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

No violence in or anywhere near to Gurue.

The closest hot spot to Gurue is Macomia, so like advising to avoid Kruger due to taxi violence in Durban.

in the past Pensao Gurue have assisted with visits to Monte Namuli, but don't stay there. Rather go to http://app.ioverlander.com/places/43...attolica-gurue

Also look up https://mobile.facebook.com/Moz--Adv...58410Outdoor7/

Mike

Mozguide

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mozguide For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mozguide View Post
    No violence in or anywhere near to Gurue.

The closest hot spot to Gurue is Macomia, so like advising to avoid Kruger due to taxi violence in Durban.

in the past Pensao Gurue have assisted with visits to Monte Namuli, but don't stay there. Rather go to http://app.ioverlander.com/places/43...attolica-gurue

Also look up https://mobile.facebook.com/Moz--Adv...58410Outdoor7/

Mike

Mozguide
    I guess we all have different risk profiles mine says when you cross the Zambezi head west and avoid the rest. This based on this article https://www.news24.com/news24/southa...ight-20191219I read while back the trend suggests expansion beyond Macomia. I do know that the Russian mercenary group Wagner have gone as far south as Nacala to regroup. If anything it's got worse over the last 2 years but hey the OP is informed and welcome to make their own minds up based on their own risk appetite.

Hi Zach,

If you happen to go and hike the beautiful Gurué slopes, can we expect a simple report and some pictures ?

Just a link for a small video on Mount Namuli that you may find interesting : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBuettbxUo

Thank you.

AP
    Last edited by apfac; 2021/03/13 at 08:58 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the advice thus far everyone. We'd like to make this trip to Mt. Namuli work. Trying to get intel on tourist visas at the Milanje border with co-vid restrictions...

Wondering if mozguide or anyone might have intel on the road from Mulanje boma to Gurue -- is it passable in rainy season? It shaves off ~150km vs going to Mocuba and then north (which I think is a good road and tarred).

Apfac -- yes, will surely write-up a trip report. I also have notes from our trip to Mabu in 2019 that I will post as well.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 7.46.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	609074
    Last edited by worldofinflation; 2021/03/14 at 01:54 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worldofinflation For This Useful Post:

Thank you Zach.

Indeed the stretch you mention really cuts a bit instead of going through Mocuba. Nevertheless I wonder if it is faster (but probably not safer!) although not tarred. As far as I know the road from Mocuba to Gurué is tarred all the way.

The last updates I have on the region are quite outdated (2019/20) - https://bradtmozambique.wordpress.com.

AP

Quote Originally Posted by worldofinflation View Post
    Thanks for all the advice thus far everyone. We'd like to make this trip to Mt. Namuli work. Trying to get intel on tourist visas at the Milanje border with co-vid restrictions...

Wondering if mozguide or anyone might have intel on the road from Mulanje boma to Gurue -- is it passable in rainy season? It shaves off ~150km vs going to Mocuba and then north (which I think is a good road and tarred).

Apfac -- yes, will surely write-up a trip report. I also have notes from our trip to Mabu in 2019 that I will post as well.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 7.46.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	609074
    Hi, in December we got visas at Milange.

There's a new room at the border where they take your photo, it's straight forward but slow. They have introduced a processing fee for the TIP as well...

Unfortunately Mozambican high commissions in LL and BT had stopped doing instant visas by Dec and were sending applications to Maputo. They couldn't give a time frame for the process...weeks?

Shame because it's way quicker that way, but a little more expensive.

I would also go via Mocuba as the other road at this time of the year could be atrocious because of rains.

Enjoy !

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Hey tashtego - thanks for the info. Are you a Malawian resident? I am not (traveling on an American passport).

Another unknown is if a PCR test in Mozambique will be required to return to Malawi. That might be too difficult to pull off.

Unfortunately, it's looking like this trip won't be possible with current border restrictions.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to worldofinflation For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by worldofinflation View Post
    Hey tashtego - thanks for the info. Are you a Malawian resident? I am not (traveling on an American passport).

Another unknown is if a PCR test in Mozambique will be required to return to Malawi. That might be too difficult to pull off.
    Hi, sorry I have just seen your post.

I am resident but not a citizen so I travel on a EU passport.

The procedure should be the same for the US passport.

The nearest for the PCR test would-be Nampula,bit give it 5 days between doing the test and being emailed the results,as they are all sent to Maputo.

However if you do your hike and re-enter Malawi within 10 days you don't need another PCR from Moz.

What sort of new restrictions has Moz implemented? I haven't heard anything apart from the beaches being closed over Easter ...

I'm heading that way on Monday all going well.
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2021/04/01 at 03:31 PM.

PCR tests are available in Nampula with results in 24hrs.

See photo of receipt for details of the lab.

Mike
    Mozguide. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210320_141743.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	611095
    Last edited by mozguide; 2021/04/02 at 04:26 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mozguide For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mozguide View Post
    PCR tests are available in Nampula with results in 24hrs.

See photo of receipt for details of the lab.

Mike
    Mozguide. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210320_141743.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	611095

Thanks Mike.

Where about in Nampula is the medcare clinic?

Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2021/04/02 at 07:33 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mozguide For This Useful Post: