Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Adjusting Run in Brake

Hey everyone,

Iíve got a BL Miskruier Iíve been using for 6+ years. Itís a great van, but Iíve never been a huge fan of the run in brake system. It used to actually engage the brake, but for years now, it has just slammed into the trailer hitch when slowing down off-road or braking hard. Iíve adjusted the brake cables so that the wheels stop at the same time, Iíve greased the large ram type piston plenty, but still nothing changes. Iím at a loss for what to do. A couple years ago when I was down in Centurian, I had the caravan serviced and some mods/repairs done. They verified that the run in brake was fine. Still, it doesnít brake, but rather transfers the weight of the caravan during braking onto the tow hitch with a might ĎBAM!í...

Any help or tricks on adjusting it would be appreciated.
    David Killough
    2016 Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    1995 Landcruiser (UK Spec) SOLD
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Default Re: Adjusting Run in Brake

Towbar shock needs replacing

Quote Originally Posted by desdrake View Post
    Towbar shock needs replacing
    I would also say that shock has been shot for years. Have you tried pushing it in and out. If it moves easily then you have found the problem.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/03/10 at 10:21 PM.

Iíve not. Iíll check today. What is the expected life span of a tow bar shock? How often should I replace it? I tow that caravan off-road between 2-4 times a month depending on the month.
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

I had the same problem. Took it for Roadworthy and it just failed. Ask the same question, got the same reply w.r.t. the shock absorber.
    Replaced, bought from Al-Ko directly, problem gone and Roadworthy Certification gained.

Cheap-ish if I remember correctly.

SHOCK ABSORB. 1215917 SIGMA H/D Ė Vehicle Technology | AL-KO

I took mine off and went to Al-Ko to get the correct replacement unit.
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

So, the shock is definitely not the problem. When engaging/disengaging the hand brake, I thought it was quite firm. Still, I removed it to check. That thing was very stiff. It took me 2 hrs with two other men, a ratchet strap, pry bars and a lot of ingenuity to get it back in place... What a pain. Any other ideas? If the borders were open, Iíd just cross over to Namibia and have it fully serviced along with some mods done, but as Angola hasnít reopened itís borders for normal travel yet, Iíll have to wait on that.
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Ran across this youtube video from Burquip. Gonna give this a go as itís different than what Iíve done previously. https://youtu.be/PKReZhdmHxg
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Climbingnut For This Useful Post:

Great video!! Doing this over the weekend...
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

So, Iíve yet to tow for testing purposes, but after doing the adjustment per video, my handbrake is perpendicular to the coupler. Itís not been like this in more than 5 yrs.
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

I am importing a redarc brake controller along with hydra star hydraulic brake and brake away and switch etc etc.

But mine is for a heavier application. My problem now is to find a coupler rated above 750kgs (looking for 3500kgs rating) with no overrun mechanism.

Nice video of brake adjustment.

I battled with my one trailer and googled for info. I did everything except remove the nuts, I just loosened them.

great video.

This is why and what makes this FORUM so great.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

13. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Climbingnut View Post
    So, the shock is definitely not the problem. When engaging/disengaging the hand brake, I thought it was quite firm. Still, I removed it to check. That thing was very stiff. It took me 2 hrs with two other men, a ratchet strap, pry bars and a lot of ingenuity to get it back in place... What a pain. Any other ideas? If the borders were open, Iíd just cross over to Namibia and have it fully serviced along with some mods done, but as Angola hasnít reopened itís borders for normal travel yet, Iíll have to wait on that.
    Take it to caravan Dealership for Service Bearings and Brakes and Peace of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Take it to caravan Dealership for Service Bearings and Brakes and Peace of Mind
    Hey Peter, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately what would seem to be an easy option in RZA and Namibia is not an option in Angola. To further complicate things, Iíd have to drive 2 days and cross an international border, which incidentally has been closed for the past year...
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Ok, this is what works for me. I have 6 brake drums on my trailer.

Make sure that all bearings are pulled up to about 5nm, or minimum play.

Adjust the play, on the back of the drum until you hear the shoes touching the drum. Then 90deg back.

No go to the rod and make sure that is not to tight. It must have free play.

Then take that trailer out on the road and watch your mirrors, for any wheel lockups. Also stop after some time and feel that any heat buildup on the drums, are the same on all drums.

PS. I just want to add here.
    When packing the bearings. When fitting new bearings, please don't torque down on those bearings. You will damage them.

To get them to bed, use a piece of mild steel. Punch with the rod around the bearing to get it to bed properly. The reason why you use the mild steel, is that it is so much softer than the bearing shell. Then fit the bearings and torque to 5nm. Then drive it for a bit and go back and check that those bearings haven't developed any new play. If they do, you didn't bed them properly. So then redo the free-play to 5nm.

Also don't over-pack the bearings.

PPS. I use a normal grease, with a squirt of Uniglide in ea bearing.
    Last edited by Henris; 2021/03/31 at 07:11 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Climbingnut View Post
    So, the shock is definitely not the problem. When engaging/disengaging the hand brake, I thought it was quite firm. Still, I removed it to check. That thing was very stiff. It took me 2 hrs with two other men, a ratchet strap, pry bars and a lot of ingenuity to get it back in place... What a pain. Any other ideas? If the borders were open, I’d just cross over to Namibia and have it fully serviced along with some mods done, but as Angola hasn’t reopened it’s borders for normal travel yet, I’ll have to wait on that.
    This sounds like you removed the spring that loads the handbrake, not the shock/damper. The damper is inside and is usually accessed by removing the tow hitch. I can fit a new one by just pulling the hitch as far forward as it goes, then inserting the bolts that hold the damper.

I'm not sure what chassis you have but this manual might help:
    http://pdfs.findtheneedle.co.uk/39668.pdf
    Last edited by tadhgocuilleain; 2021/03/17 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Better link

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadhgocuilleain For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tadhgocuilleain View Post
    This sounds like you removed the spring that loads the handbrake, not the shock/damper. The damper is inside and is usually accessed by removing the tow hitch. I can fit a new one by just pulling the hitch as far forward as it goes, then inserting the bolts that hold the damper.

I'm not sure what chassis you have but this manual might help:
    http://pdfs.findtheneedle.co.uk/39668.pdf
    Thanks for the link. That’s a really good PDF for ALKO product maintenance/adjustment procedures. Would be great to pin that somewhere on this forum for others to use.

So my coupler is made by Knott. I’ve not seen any shock/damper anywhere on the coupler. I figured there’d be sort piston/ram on the run-in side of the coupler, but have never seen it personally. If anyone knows of a good illustration for KNOTT couplers, I’d greatly appreciate you posting it.

EDIT: So your post about removing the wrong shock got me thinking. First, the hand brake “spring” on a Knott coupler looks like a shock to me, so it was the first place I went. Second, looking inside never occurred to me as I’ve not yet seen any diagram as to how it works. So, I gave the couple a good push, and it resists any force I put on it. It will slowly give under pressure, but it’s not pushing in and out like a damaged/worn out shock might do. This leads me to believe that it may just have been poorly adjusted brakes. Still, next time I’m in Namibia, I may purchase one of these run-in brake shocks as a spare.
    Last edited by Climbingnut; 2021/03/17 at 12:00 PM.
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Ok, this is what works for me. I have 6 brake drums on my trailer.

Make sure that all bearings are pulled up to about 5nm, or minimum play.

Adjust the play, on the back of the drum until you hear the shoes touching the drum. Then 90deg back.

No go to the rod and make sure that is not to tight. It must have free play.

Then take that trailer out on the road and watch your mirrors, for any wheel lockups. Also stop after some time and feel that any heat buildup on the drums, are the same on all drums.
    Thanks for the tip Henris. Iíll keep that in mind when I check my wheel bearings. I generally check the wheels and hubs whenever I stop the car, especially when Iím airing up or down. Just a force of habit.
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariusT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    Thanks for that Marius!
    David Killough
    Bushlapa Miskruier 321
    www.killoughfamily.com

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post

Very nice informative file: Can this be added to the Handy Technical Files Thread.
    Hugo Burger
    Ranger 3.2
    Baobab 1796 "Boom Huis"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast