Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mazda CX-5: Rooiman se Rooiwa (Vroulief se wa om korrek te wees)

So after a lot of window shopping, a few test drives and a lot of thinking we have recently acquired a new Mazda CX-5 Active a/t

I decided to start this thread to document our ownership journey. The plan is to definitely drive it for the next 3 years at least and then take it from there.

We took delivery of this vehicle on 2019-05-24 from East Rand Mazda. Great service from them (Thank you Riaana and team)

Vehicle had a full 10km on the Odometer. We opted for the Active package (entry level) with the removable towbar (R7'000), smash & grab (R4006.72) and the color - Soul Red Crystal (R1304.00) as the only extras.

But... even on entry level spec, they are quite well specced.

Mazda CX-5 Active 2.0L FWD Auto (Soul Red Crystal)

Pictures as per forum rules:

Name:  IMG_0350.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  72.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  59.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0358.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0364.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  89.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0349.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  73.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0353.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  66.9 KB
    Last edited by Redman; 2019/05/25 at 02:38 PM.
    Pieter le Roux

Default Re: Mazda CX-5: Rooiman se Rooiwa (Vroulief se wa om korrek te wees)

As I've mentioned we've been shopping around for a while now. Here are the other vehicles that we considered...

All of the below were considered with automatic transmissions (CVT, DSG etc.)... A/T was a must on our list

Kia Sportage - 2.0L Ignite Plus
    Hyundai Tucson - 2.0 Premium
    Hyundai Creta - 1.6 Executive
    Nissan Qashqai - 1.2T Acenta Plus
    VW Tiguan - 1.4TSI Trendline
    Subaru Forester - 2.0i
    Toyota RAV4 - 2.0 GX
    Honda HR-V - 1.8 Elegence
    Honda CR-V - 2.0 Comfort

All of the above will make great family vehicles... Did not test drive the Nissan though, but the reviews looked positive on it.

The offering from Opel (Crossland X, Grandland X and Mokka X) all look good (some really good looking vehicles). But we did not have a look at them. No specific reason why, we just skipped over Opel
    Last edited by Redman; 2019/05/25 at 03:37 PM.
    Pieter le Roux

​Another reserved post for future use
    Pieter le Roux

It's disgusting that some dealers are charging extra for the popular red colour.

The dealer who we eventually bought swambos Cx5 from laughed when I asked where was the charge for red? "It's a standard colour, we can't charge extra for it!"

Many happy miles on your CX5, I'll be sad to see ours go when we eventually move on.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

Does the active auto come with cruise control and Bluetooth - my 2 must haves in a car

Nice to have auto lights, wipers. Leather and control on steering
    Last edited by Heino13; 2019/05/25 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    It's disgusting that some dealers are charging extra for the popular red colour.

The dealer who we eventually bought swambos Cx5 from laughed when I asked where was the charge for red? "It's a standard colour, we can't charge extra for it!"

Many happy miles on your CX5, I'll be sad to see ours go when we eventually move on.
    Thank you!

Yeah, like I mention on another thread... Color was the only thing we couldn't agree on from the beginning was color.

I wanted white and my wife this red. We were quoted on the white, and when me made an adjustment to the quote with other things including the color we saw this "addition". Swambo was not bothered by this, since we looked at the VW Tiguan as well. She liked the Ory White but that was R4'140 extra. Kia also added R2'337 for some of their colors.

I must admit, although not my choice. This is really a pretty red
    Pieter le Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Heino13 View Post
    Does the active auto come with cruise control and Bluetooth - my 2 must haves in a car

Nice to have auto lights, wipers. Leather and control on steering
    Yes, my 2 must haves in a new vehicle. Luckily these are standard. Some other nice standard features on our entry level car include:
    • Bluetooth & Cruise control as mentioned
    • Auto wipers and headlights
    • Reverse camera
    • Keyless start (not entry though, bust suits me)
    • Apple Carplay
    • USB ports in the rear arm rests
    • Dual climate control (very welcome)

And no, I'm not affiliated with Mazda in anyway .
    Pieter le Roux

Looking forward to read more updates on this motoring experience.
    Lovely looking car and congratulations .

Enjoy.....for me it is one of the best looking cars on the road, especially in the red.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Recovery For This Useful Post:

Congrats Redman!

She looks great in that colour. Will keep an eye out for updates of how she performs in everyday life.

Regards,
    M
    Marius Swart
    (Blackie)
    2010 Land Rover Freelander 2 Td4 SE
    1997 Opel Corsa Bakkie 1.3i

You actually got them in two "metallic" reds. A normal metallic red and this pearl red. It is simply stunning.

A right pain in the behind to mix and respray, though. If I do say so myself, my guys has got this colour down and do an excellent job of recreating it on these Mazdas. (We are Mazda approved).

I've seen many of these cars come in where some have tried to respray in that colour with disastrous results. It is also a rather expensive colour to mix.

Congrats on the car. They punch well above their weight in several departments. The interiors are a particular highlight for me.
    Current: 2021 Fiat Panda 900T 4x4

SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

So the CX-5 is on 1'300km after a week...

Teruning about 8.0 l/100km in the city (mixed driving), and 7.4 l/100km on Swambo's trip to Tzaneen and back... I can live with that figure

One word of advice... If you are 1.89m tall, just be careful, you don't clear the tailgate... I've got a nasty bump on my head to prove this

Name:  IMG_0396.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  79.9 KB

Then although I am still giving Swambo some flack about the color, I must admit that it has grown a lot on me... So much that I actually like it. I like it a lot... The darker wheels also looks good on this color...

I had a look at the CX-3 in the same color (really nice cars), and then also the Mazda 2... When I bought my Up! I never even looked at the Mazda. Although slightly more expensive, I will definitely look at that in a few years time... Especially when the Skyactive-X engine becomes available

The Jap and the German...
    Name:  IMG_0366.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  128.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0367.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  117.1 KB
    Pieter le Roux

The CX-5 is almost a month old and has done just over 3'000km already...

Swambo loves the car, so I am really happy with out purchase...

But... We've already lost our first tire... Swambo blew a tire on the R21 at 120km/h... Managed to get it to a safe stop next to the road out of harms way without any hassle... She recalls hearing the blow (noise from a deflated tire, not the actual pop), and feeling it through the steering wheel, but that she had no control issues... She actually thought it was debris on the road that got stuck on the car... Turned cruise control off and coasted very safe and stable out of the way... So 10/10 for the cars handling and stability...

For those that wonder... R2540 for a Yokohama 17 inch tyre
    Last edited by Redman; 2019/06/20 at 10:15 AM.
    Pieter le Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    The CX-5 is almost a month old and has done just over 3'000km already...

Swambo loves the car, so I am really happy with out purchase...

But... We've already lost our first tire... Swambo blew a tire on the R21 at 120km/h... Managed to get it to a safe stop next to the road out of harms way without any hassle... She recalls hearing the blow (noise from a deflated tire, not the actual pop), and feeling it through the steering wheel, but that she had no control issues... She actually thought it was debris on the road that got stuck on the car... Turned cruise control off and coasted very safe and stable out of the way... So 10/10 for the cars handling and stability...

For those that wonder... R2540 for a Yokohama 17 inch tyre
    Really do like the CX5, and that red is just stunning.

Paid R2300 for 18" Yoko Geolandars on the Volvo. So still in the ballpark.
    Current: 2021 Fiat Panda 900T 4x4

SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

How's fuel consumption so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Heino13 View Post
    How's fuel consumption so far?
    Currently averaging around 12.8km/l measured at pumps (OBD shows 7.8l/100km so more or less the same)

Returned 13.5km/l on the open road (7.4 l/100km OBD)... Swambo will be heading to Tzaneen later this week again which will push mileage over 5'000km already... Will post latest consumption from this trip too
    Pieter le Roux

So, the Mazda was used for the annual trip to the Northern Cape (Hunt)...

Although we would have probably managed to fit everything in the car, I took the Venter along for the return leg (meat) so we ended up packing some unnecessary stuff as well

Fuel Consumption breakdown:

1. Home (Pretoria) - Bloemfontein 1 Stop: 458km - 36.182l @ 12.66km/l
    2. Bloemfontein - farm 45km past Jacobsdal including about 38km gravel road to farm - back to Bloemfontein: 396km - 32.472l @ 12.20km/l
    3. Bloemfontein - Home: 468km - 37.908l @ 12.35km/l

Car drives like a dream. The auto however tends to gear down to 4th to maintain cruise control speed. This mostly happened in the JHB PTA area with the hills. In the FS it mostly went back to 5th on the uphills.

I was however extremely surprised at how quite the car is on the inside. Almost no road and wind noises. Even on the gravel road, which was extremely corrugated in a lot of places. Although going was slow on the gravel with the Venter in tow.

I don't think this car is the most fuel efficient in it's class. But being honest, still not bad figure returned. However, I truly love the ride and the quality levels in this vehicle.

Name:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  84.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1062.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  114.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1338.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  102.3 KB
    Pieter le Roux

Thanks for the update, i am averaging around 7.5-8 l / 100 (call it 13km/l) on a mixed urban route over 3k km, will be using the car to kruger in October so interested to see how that goes.

I agree that the 2.0 auto can feel a little laboured up long inclines however overall it gets the job done. I think your economy with a trailer is 100% ok, perhaps not most fuel efficient but really doubt any other petrol in the class couldve done much better, if at all.

Cheers

Baie nice

Ek kyk tans na cx5, everest en fortuner

Cx5 gee so baie vir die geld...

Sopas die kar van Mazda Oos Rand opgetel vir sy 15'000km diens

R 1'512-00 wat alles deur diens plan gedek word. Steeds baie beindruk met hulle diens. Maklik ingeboek en is vinnig deur 'n drywer by die werk afgelaai.

Brandstof verbuik het hier by 7.8 l/100km kom settle. Dit wat die kar wys en wat ons meet is amper presies dieselfde.

So far so good

Steeds baie bly ons het die roete gegaan
    Pieter le Roux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast