Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland Park - JHB
    Age
    49
    Posts
    487
    Thanked: 3

    Question Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Hi fellow 4x4'ers

    My cars have always had fully comprehensive cover. But I haven't been working consistently for the last few years, and when I have been working - it's been from home. My 20 year old Landie is my only remaining vehicle and doesn't do much more than 200km/month (in a very busy month) - all on road.

    I cannot justify my existing insurance premium (appr. R1,000/month) as money is getting too tight and I cannot remember when last I even spent half of that in fuel. Although I've barely claimed, I love the insurance company that I'm with, they've been awesome when it's come to some minor repairs (windscreen, bumper). They've managed to get my premium down when requested. Their service is impeccable, but I simply cannot warrant the expense anymore.

    The car (now my 'daily') is used only for personal trips to nearby relatives. Holidays and 4x4 excursions are a distant memory . Threat of theft is minimal (hope I haven't jinxed it now) and the occasional scratch is only going to add character.

    Can those of you with knowledge in this field please make suggestions on suitable cover types and providers please?

    Thanks in advance guys (and any gals that could be reading this).
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,832
    Thanked: 2773

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Alexander Forbes, now taken over / merged with Momentum:
    My 1998 Isuzu KB280 DT D/C is insured comprehensively for value of R 79 500 including accessories. (Canopy, aux. fuel tank, spotlights, dual charging system - solenoid type.)
    Non-business use and specified authorized driver = No excess.
    Premium based on max. 5 000 Km p.a. R 332.39 per month on a month to month basis.
    For only a little more premium you can opt for a limit of 10 000 Km p.a.
    You are required to submit vehicle odo readings annually and at the time of any claim.
    If Km exceeded on an annualized basis then excess will be applied. Likewise if driven by anyone other than the nominated driver at the time of claim.
    This is a special rate which most likely applies if your fixed property, contents and other cover is included on the same policy.
    My 2010 Chev Spark on same basis is insured for value R 59 200, Premium R 221.17
    NOTE:
    Your circumstances may differ re security devices, parking overnight, security issues at home etc.

    OH, and region !!! I am based in Pinetown KZN.
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2021/03/07 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Adding regional issue
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Out of Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,933
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Nice topic.

    Can't seem to find a company who will cover a refugee in his own country.

    Looking for Third Party, Fire and Theft cover for mine unsupported by household insurance. I'm a full time camper at this stage, which kinda complicates the permenant address issue, and need for "house contents" cover.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Age
    45
    Posts
    595
    Thanked: 894

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    I've actually given up on any kind of insurance for our Landy which has been in a very secure lockup facility in JHB since Nov 2019, and there's no telling when we're going to drive it again. (We live in Belgium now and don't have any other assets in South Africa anymore)

    So when we do drive the Landy I just make a point of not rear ending a Merc SLK or the like. As far as fire, theft etc goes, I guess I'm just going to have to keep sucking it up and taking the risk. Or is there an insurance company out there that I can turn on and off according to when we actually use the vehicle? Like the travel insurance we get when we go skiing/snowboarding. We don't do that all year round, so why should we have to get such insurance all year?
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/03/07 at 11:23 AM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,832
    Thanked: 2773

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    I've actually given up on any kind of insurance for our Landy which has been in a very secure lockup facility in JHB since Nov 2019, and there's no telling when we're going to drive it again. (We live in Belgium)

    So when we do drive the Landy I just make a point of not rear ending a Merc SLK or the like. As far as fire, theft etc goes, I guess I'm just going to have to keep sucking it up and taking the risk. Or is there an insurance company out there that I can turn on an off according to when we actually use the vehicle?
    If you are ONLY insuring the one vehicle and with no other cover included I think you may struggle to find something.
    But with secure storage and such low use p.a. surely a company would still give you a reasonable quotation?
    I don't know.
    Just watch out for the small print in the policy document.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland Park - JHB
    Age
    49
    Posts
    487
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    I've actually given up on any kind of insurance for our Landy which has been in a very secure lockup facility in JHB since Nov 2019, and there's no telling when we're going to drive it again. (We live in Belgium now and don't have any other assets in South Africa anymore)

    So when we do drive the Landy I just make a point of not rear ending a Merc SLK or the like. As far as fire, theft etc goes, I guess I'm just going to have to keep sucking it up and taking the risk. Or is there an insurance company out there that I can turn on and off according to when we actually use the vehicle? Like the travel insurance we get when we go skiing/snowboarding. We don't do that all year round, so why should we have to get such insurance all year?
    I'm no expert / stand to be corrected here / have failing memory : There was previously cover available / km (or similar). I think it was advertised on mainstream radio back then. Wasn't economical for me at the time that I enquired and I suspect it still wouldn't be. Might be worth investigating for you though. Again, my recollection is vague.
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town - RSA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,990
    Thanked: 519

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Well all I can contribute is that King Price covers my Jeep for R550 per month (less than 1000km a month) on full comprehensive and have paid out no problems on every occasion. So try them.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,994
    Thanked: 853

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    An insurance adviser will give you the options. There are a few insurance coys that offer limited kms insurance. Santam is one of them.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,043
    Thanked: 1412

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexFl View Post
    Hi fellow 4x4'ers

    My cars have always had fully comprehensive cover. But I haven't been working consistently for the last few years, and when I have been working - it's been from home. My 20 year old Landie is my only remaining vehicle and doesn't do much more than 200km/month (in a very busy month) - all on road.

    I cannot justify my existing insurance premium (appr. R1,000/month) as money is getting too tight and I cannot remember when last I even spent half of that in fuel. Although I've barely claimed, I love the insurance company that I'm with, they've been awesome when it's come to some minor repairs (windscreen, bumper). They've managed to get my premium down when requested. Their service is impeccable, but I simply cannot warrant the expense anymore.

    The car (now my 'daily') is used only for personal trips to nearby relatives. Holidays and 4x4 excursions are a distant memory . Threat of theft is minimal (hope I haven't jinxed it now) and the occasional scratch is only going to add character.

    Can those of you with knowledge in this field please make suggestions on suitable cover types and providers please?

    Thanks in advance guys (and any gals that could be reading this).
    PM me if you want to speak to my broker. She might be able to assist.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,610
    Thanked: 1622

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Naked insurance is perfect for this, you can switch off the comprehensive accident cover as needed using their app and just cover it for fire and theft.

    One useage scenario they touted was during lockdown for people now working from home who don't drive the vehicle for days on end, you only activate the comprehensive before you leave to drive.

    It is a bit risky on a daily driver in case you forget to activate the insurance before you drive out but on a vehicle in storage or only used very rarely the risk of that happening is significantly less.

    They have a great website for getting quotes, all automatic and online.
    naked.insure

    I used them as bridging cover when I purchased a vehicle on a Sunday and my broker was not reachable.

    I've seen good reports about them including paying claims. They are underwritten by one of the big guys, Hollard if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/03/07 at 03:46 PM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Out of Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,933
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Naked insurance is perfect for this, you can switch off the comprehensive accident cover as needed using their app and just cover it for fire and theft.
    Thank you so much for this. Wish I had this yesterday. I had to leave the farm and drive 2.5 hours each way to the airport to fetch someone, without insurance. This could have saved me a lot of stress.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  16. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    286
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Also use Naked, their rates seem pretty good and they're backed by Hollard. The nice thing is that you do literally everything on the App and there's no paperwork.

    Takes less than 2 minutes to generate a quote also. Here's a link for those interested.

    https://www.naked.insure/?utm_source...paign=IOR82841
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AwieT For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,610
    Thanked: 1622

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    One of Naked's competitors Jasure(under written by Santam) just released their Car insurance product today according to the email I just got, same thing as Naked you can pause the full cover when parked at home.

    Jasure also has great pay as you go all risks cover, for camera's, tools, equipment etc you can insure for a few hours if needs be.

    Super handy because previously say on a camera you used out of the house twice a month you would have to pay a huge amount monthly for all risks cover just to have cover when you left the property on those 2 days you actually used the camera. With Jasure you activate the cover using their app only when you need it.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/03/09 at 01:33 PM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,713
    Thanked: 482

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    My 99 D2 with lots of extras costs me under R300 pm for full comprehensive. You don't need less cover, you need a competitive price
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Disco 3 SE TDV6
    Disco 2 ES TD5. Custom map, V8 TC
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:


  23. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    286
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    One of Naked's competitors Jasure(under written by Santam) just released their Car insurance product today according to the email I just got, same thing as Naked you can pause the full cover when parked at home.

    Jasure also has great pay as you go all risks cover, for camera's, tools, equipment etc you can insure for a few hours if needs be.

    Super handy because previously say on a camera you used out of the house twice a month you would have to pay a huge amount monthly for all risks cover just to have cover when you left the property on those 2 days you actually used the camera. With Jasure you activate the cover using their app only when you need it.
    Did you compare the quotes between these two? I was trying to until Jasure wanted me to start taking 'selfies' of me next to my car, then I gave up.
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

  24. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,610
    Thanked: 1622

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by AwieT View Post
    Did you compare the quotes between these two? I was trying to until Jasure wanted me to start taking 'selfies' of me next to my car, then I gave up.
    No, at the time Jasure didn't offer vehicle cover. Can you at least get a quote before needing to take pics?

  25. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    286
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    No, at the time Jasure didn't offer vehicle cover. Can you at least get a quote before needing to take pics?
    Nope, found that odd.
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

  26. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by AwieT View Post
    Also use Naked, their rates seem pretty good and they're backed by Hollard. The nice thing is that you do literally everything on the App and there's no paperwork.

    Takes less than 2 minutes to generate a quote also. Here's a link for those interested.

    https://www.naked.insure/?utm_source...paign=IOR82841
    I use Naked as well however, I am purchasing a vehicle with 4x4 ability now where I would like to use that ability from time to time at a 4x4 centre and they do not apparently cover travel on a road that a regular car could not safely travel... so now I am trying to find an alternative for this car.

  27. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    286
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by Tris View Post
    I use Naked as well however, I am purchasing a vehicle with 4x4 ability now where I would like to use that ability from time to time at a 4x4 centre and they do not apparently cover travel on a road that a regular car could not safely travel... so now I am trying to find an alternative for this car.
    Interesting, is that what they told you?
    Mercedes Benz GLC 250d

  28. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Insurance on a shoe string for a 4x4 that hardly gets used now

    Quote Originally Posted by AwieT View Post
    Interesting, is that what they told you?
    Correct, and I was advised to read the policy document when I pressed the matter (I still need to do so) on why one could not use the features of the car to their full potential.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Tris For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •