Default macOS Big Sur vs Win10 on 2015 Macbook Air

For several years now I have had an early 2015 MacBook Air. Throughout the years, I have updated it to the current macOS versions, which has never caused any big problems. I'm not a great fan of macOS, but back then the Air was the most affordable, best performing, lightest, sturdiest 13" laptop with the longest battery life, for my purpose.
    I could never figure out why WIFI connectivity was always a bit unstable, but apparently that is how it is on certain models. Otherwise I had no issues and found all the software I needed.
    Along came the latest update to Big Sur, apparently the first full 64 bit macOS.
    All of a sudden the MacBook Air became sluggish (starting FF browser took 30-40 seconds) and the battery life reduced noticeably. Apparently many other users had experienced the same symptoms. All of a sudden my MacBook Air performed much worse than my 2012 Lenovo mid range laptop.
    Then cam work which required a Windows environment to accomplish certain tasks.
    I was ready to purchase a new laptop, even though I was convinced that the hardware could still perform sufficiently and was just held back by the operating system.
    I then installed Windows 10 on the MacBook Air wiping macOS off the SSD since there is not enough space for 2 operating systems a la Bootcamp.

With Win10 the old hardware is fast again and the battery lasts 8+ hours easily, just like it used to before Big Sur. WIFI is also more stable under Windows than it ever was under any macOS.
    I just find it ironic that an Apple laptop runs better under Windows than macOS.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Default Re: macOS Big Sur vs Win10 on 2015 Macbook Air

Iíve been a huge Mac fan for decades. Both work and personal.

Last few years I have been very disappointed. Very poor keyboards on the MacBook (now discontinued) and a MacBook Pro. Touchpad failure on a pro. Increasing problems in software. The great thing about Mac is the integration in terms of iPhone, iMessage, iCloud. They have now irritated me so much that my last purchase was a dell XPS 13 2 in 1. Much happier. Apple has lost its way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Still rocking my mid 2011 MacBook Pro, the one with screws, and a CD drive You know, those shiny disc thingys that play music. I'm running it on High Sierra, but that's where it stops, upgrading is not possible, but, even if I could, I wouldn't. What I have done instead is to replace the original 500GB HD with a 1TB Seagate SSHD (hybrid), and the original 4GB RAM with 16GB. This thing goes like a rocket now. Original battery went over 2000 cycles and was still good for at least 1 full length movie, but I changed it anyway. All the above I did myself, because I could.

My main point is even if you can upgrade an OS on any computer it doesn't mean you actually should. Swambo has the 2012 version of what I have and it can go one OS more but I've elected to leave it as is. It just works.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/03/06 at 05:02 PM.
    A sure of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Still rocking my mid 2011 MacBook Pro, the one with screws, and a CD drive You know, those shiny disc thingys that play music. I'm running it on High Sierra, but that's where it stops, upgrading is not possible, but, even if I could, I wouldn't. What I have done instead is to replace the original 500GB HD with a 1TB Seagate SSHD (hybrid), and the original 4GB RAM with 16GB. This thing goes like a rocket now. Original battery went over 2000 cycles and was still good for at least 1 full length movie, but I changed it anyway. All the above I did myself, because I could.

My main point is even if you can upgrade an OS on any computer it doesn't mean you actually should. Swambo has the 2012 version of what I have and it can go one OS more but I've elected to leave it as is. It just works.
    The problem with not upgrading to the latest version of the operating system is, that the older versions don't get maintained anymore at some point.
    This can be a security issue.
    Over the years it didn't feel like my MacBook Air was getting slower every time I upgraded the OS. Only this last upgrade to Big Sur was like someone was stepping on the brakes.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The problem with not upgrading to the latest version of the operating system is, that the older versions don't get maintained anymore at some point.
    Over the years it didn't feel like my MacBook Air was getting slower every time I upgraded the OS. Only this last upgrade to Big Sur was like someone was stepping on the brakes.

Youíll also start to get software incompatibility issues over time.

Microsoft..........pah!

then you might as well couple your 'security' system with Huawaei hardware ( + free embedded easter egg software!)

https://www.news24.com/fin24/compani...world-20210307

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56304379

The US is expressing growing concern over a hack on Microsoft's Exchange email software that the tech company has blamed on China.

"This is an active threat," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Friday. "Everyone running these servers - government, private sector, academia - needs to act now to patch them."

Microsoft said hackers had used its mail server to attack their targets.

It is reported that tens of thousands of US organisations may be impacted.

The US has long accused the Chinese government of cyber-espionage, something Beijing denies.

Ms Psaki told reporters that the White House was "concerned that there are a large number of victims" and said the vulnerabilities found in Microsoft's servers "could have far reaching impacts".

On Saturday, the US National Security Council said it was "essential that any organisation with a vulnerable server take immediate measures" to determine if they had been targeted.

Patching and mitigation is not remediation if the servers have already been compromised. It is essential that any organization with a vulnerable server take immediate measures to determine if they were already targeted. https://t.co/HYKF2lA7sn
    ó National Security Council (@WHNSC) March 6, 2021
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    You’ll also start to get software incompatibility issues over time.

Correct. Photoshop and Lightroom refuses to run on our laptops. We're still using Aperture and iPhoto which both work 100% and do the job required. But like I say, I can't upgrade the OS anymore, even if I wanted to. Yes, I am well aware that this can be a security issue, but Apple is still maintaining High Sierra, for now. On the other hand, what am I supposed to do? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hardware on either of our MacBooks. Must I just run out and buy new laptops? (rhetorical question)

I still have an old iPod Touch that is stuck on iOS 6. I used to use it as a streaming device hooked up to my Hifi, but it developed buffering issues, however, it plays its internal music fine. I can still sync it with iTunes. I now use an iPhone 5 stuck on iOS 10 for streaming, Spotify etc works quite well on that.

Now my Windows experience is the opposite. Apple makes (used to make) great hardware that outlasts its own software. We bought an HP Compaq Presario in 2009 with Windows 7. It was useable for about 3 years. It went through 2 batteries in as many years. Screen half worked, if we were lucky. I still have it, but it takes about 15 mins to boot up.

Yes, it would be nice to keep using these MacBooks forever, but I know this is how it works. They might just become fancy offline music players at some point.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/03/07 at 11:02 AM.
    A sure of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Microsoft..........pah!

then you might as well couple your 'security' system with Huawaei hardware ( + free embedded easter egg software!)

https://www.news24.com/fin24/compani...world-20210307

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56304379

The US is expressing growing concern over a hack on Microsoft's Exchange email software that the tech company has blamed on China.

"This is an active threat," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Friday. "Everyone running these servers - government, private sector, academia - needs to act now to patch them."

Microsoft said hackers had used its mail server to attack their targets.

It is reported that tens of thousands of US organisations may be impacted.

The US has long accused the Chinese government of cyber-espionage, something Beijing denies.

Ms Psaki told reporters that the White House was "concerned that there are a large number of victims" and said the vulnerabilities found in Microsoft's servers "could have far reaching impacts".

On Saturday, the US National Security Council said it was "essential that any organisation with a vulnerable server take immediate measures" to determine if they had been targeted.

Patching and mitigation is not remediation if the servers have already been compromised. It is essential that any organization with a vulnerable server take immediate measures to determine if they were already targeted. https://t.co/HYKF2lA7sn
    ó National Security Council (@WHNSC) March 6, 2021
    And what does MS Exchange Server has to do with a local Windows 10 Home installation?

Even if you run macOS on your machine and connect it to the company's network, it might become vulnerable for the simple reason that the MS Exchange Server is compromised.

At the moment there are 3 typical OS choices for anyone running a X86-64 compatible PC or laptop:
    1) Windows
    2) macOS
    3) Linux

I have been using Linux for close to 15 years now. Mainly I have used Linux Mint, but I have also worked with Open Suse, Fedora and Ubuntu. Always came back to Mint in the end.
    Great for general web browsing and 90% of everyday tasks. However, it's the remaining 10% that are problematic due to compatibility issues with the rest of the world. Be it special applications or simply the lack of compatibility with de facto MS Office standards. It doesn't help that a lot of office applications, e.g. Libre Office, are "mostly" compatible with MS Office. I yet have to open a MS Office document on a different platform and find everything the same as it was originally saved, or vice versa. Be it Word, Excel or Powerpoint, these are the de facto standards and Libre Office is not 100% compatible. Even Office Online sometimes can't handle certain documents that have been created with the proper MS Office apps. Try and find an electronic pilot logbook compatible for Linux, which does comply with required CAA standards.
    Despite everything else, due to its architecture and mostly due to its lack of support there is hardly any malware out there that would target the OS itself. However, web browsers are a vulnerability independently from the underlying OS. Hardware vulnerabilities, such as Spectre and Meltdown and several others do affect any system independently from it's OS.

macOS is certainly a better supported platform, MS Office and a lot of other specialized programs are available for macOS. Up to version 10.14 Mojave all seemed fine, the best for me was probably 10.13 High Sierra, which is not supported anymore since December 2020.
    However, why is the Wifi so difficult on macOS? Connecting to a WIFI network has always taken longer than under Win10 & Linux and the stability has been inferior.
    Since Catalina (which I skipped) and Big Sur, the Apple hardware was too slow to be properly usable. Due to its popularity, macOS is being targeted by malware.
    List of vulnerabilities: Apple Mac Os X : List of security vulnerabilities (cvedetails.com)

Leaves us with the much hated Windows. There are very few programs that don't run under MS Windows. Windows' architecture might be inferior to that of the above Unix based operating systems. However, on my last tour I had to carry my old Lenovo laptop along, which weighs more than double what the MacBook Air weighs and takes 3 times the space, at least, because I had to do the monthly update of the Honeywell Flight Management (FMS) Navigation database. This only works on Windows.
    As to the Windows security issues: yes, they are there. Lets talk about the issues that affect a single PC or laptop, not those server issues, since they are running a different (if related) operating system. Most of those issues still arise due to the user going to websites which are insecure, clicking on links in websites or emails or downloading attachments. Use common sense. It's a bit like driving a Nissan NP300 these days, other vehicles do have better safety systems, but for the price the NP300 is hard to beat. Just don't drive like an idiot.
    Some reading on PC security:
    Windows 7 end of support - What to do next guide (dedoimedo.com)
    Windows 10 essential post-installation tweaks (dedoimedo.com)
    Windows 10 exploit protection - Tutorial (dedoimedo.com)

I am no fan boy of any operating system. I use a computer as a tool for work and for entertainment. Hence I will use what works best for me. Under the current circumstances I can't get past Windows due to work related tasks I have to perform, which can only be done under Windows. I can either carry my 2012 Lenovo Z580 with Linux and Win10 on a 256GB SSD around and live with the 1.5 h max battery life and leave my MacBook Air at home and use it as a paperweight.
    Or I can make use of the much lighter and smaller Air with 8+ hours battery life (now again under Win10) and benefit from the generally very good hardware Apple provided and run Windows 10 which gave the 6 year old laptop a boost in speed and battery life and makes it compliant with all work related tasks. Unfortunately the SSD is only 128 GB of size and running both, macOS and Windows 10 would be a squeeze. Maybe I'll do a Linux Mint installation on an external SSD some time soon.
    I think this is for me the best compromise at the moment.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Eventually it can become a security issue yes, but Apple actually still rolls out important security updates for older versions of their operating systems both Mac OS and iOS, so even if you don't update, you can still have a secure device which can last you quite long.

In terms of Big Sur yes it's by no means perfect yet, but unless you use some exotic software, then it's actually pretty stable and I'm happy with mine running on my mid 2015 MBP.

Petty about your speed issues, sometimes they reach their hardware limits even though Apple say differently, but you can go back to Catalena if you want, those install files are still available. I actually like Catalena a lot, I run it on my mid 2013 iMac which can't be updated to Big Sur. I would have been happy to keep my MBP on Catalena as well at least for a while, but I was curious as I always am with these things.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

It's a bit like driving a Nissan NP300 these days, other vehicles do have better safety systems, but for the price the NP300 is hard to beat. Just don't drive like an idiot.
    Same goes for my 1998 Defender. What safety systems?......

But yes, I'm carful what websites I visit with this dinosaur.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/03/07 at 12:26 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Iíve been a huge Mac fan for decades. Both work and personal.

Last few years I have been very disappointed. Very poor keyboards on the MacBook (now discontinued) and a MacBook Pro. Touchpad failure on a pro. Increasing problems in software. The great thing about Mac is the integration in terms of iPhone, iMessage, iCloud. They have now irritated me so much that my last purchase was a dell XPS 13 2 in 1. Much happier. Apple has lost its way.

Lost its way is maybe a bit strong, but I agree with you. For the last 5 or more years Apple's focus clearly shifted from computers to mobiles iPhone, iPad and watch, also the software ecosystem, but to be fair to them, that's where they are making most of their money, so they would place more focus on those areas.

Luckily if you follow what's happening in the tech world, all signs are their that Apple started to place more and more focus on computers again, it started with launching their own processor chips which so far leaves Intel and AMD chips in the dust. I think big things is coming from Apple in terms of processing power in the next couple of years, they only launched their smallest M1 chips so far and already the industry is taking note. I'm sure somewhere there are already Intel and AMD engineers having sleepless nights.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Lost its way is maybe a bit strong, but I agree with you. For the last 5 or more years Apple's focus clearly shifted from computers to mobiles iPhone, iPad and watch, also the software ecosystem, but to be fair to them, that's where they are making most of their money, so they would place more focus on those areas.

Luckily if you follow what's happening in the tech world, all signs are their that Apple started to place more and more focus on computers again, it started with launching their own processor chips which so far leaves Intel and AMD chips in the dust. I think big things is coming from Apple in terms of processing power in the next couple of years, they only launched their smallest M1 chips so far and already the industry is taking note. I'm sure somewhere there are already Intel and AMD engineers having sleepless nights.
    The chip development is certainly interesting and Iíve heard very good things. I hope it goes better for them then their PowerPC experiment - but it seems it certainly will.

The ecosystem is very strong, thatís for sure.