Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How much it costs to import a Tesla to South Africa

They are designing and manufacturing these vehicles, to in essence reduce the carbon footprint? However, these vehicles are way out of reach of the ordinary man, so the ordinary man will continue to purchase his fuel driven vehicle. Pointless practice in my eyes, as there will never be enough electric cars in circulation to reduce the footprint.

rather more just a race to see who can design and build the best one it seems, and a nice to have for the rich and celebs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Was on a road trip through France not too long ago. Pulled into the fuel station on the freeway to fill our little Ford Fiesta up, with petrol. As we drove in, there was a special charging area for Tesla's. There was a women standing next to her Tesla chain smoking while charging it. We filled up, parked our car, strolled in to use the facilities, drink coffee etc. When we eventually got back in the car, the same woman was still chain smoking next to her still charging Tesla.

Now tell me, please, why would I want to spend so much money on such a car? We paid Ä9k for the Fiesta (new) and R105k for the Defender (not so new)
    Ah, but she can smoke while ''re-fuelling''

Quote Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
    Ah, but she can smoke while ''re-fuelling''
    Right. But she will have chained a whole pack before her 'tank' is completely full....save the planet, destroy your own health. Great. Oh the irony.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/03/08 at 10:54 AM.
    A sure of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Everything needs to start somewhere.

I think EV's are at a point now where it does not make 100% sense for most people, but it was the same for computers back in the day when only the rich could afford one. Now we have even more powerful computers in our pockets than the first expensive one.

The tech is there, but it needs to be refined to be commercially viable for the avg man. That will take time. Might not be in mine or my kids lifetime, but I think they day will come where EV's are cheap, there are charging stations all over and they charge within an hour.

Don't judge it by today's standards. Judge it by what it can be.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/03/08 at 11:04 AM.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Was on a road trip through France not too long ago. Pulled into the fuel station on the freeway to fill our little Ford Fiesta up, with petrol. As we drove in, there was a special charging area for Tesla's. There was a women standing next to her Tesla chain smoking while charging it. We filled up, parked our car, strolled in to use the facilities, drink coffee etc. When we eventually got back in the car, the same woman was still chain smoking next to her still charging Tesla.

Now tell me, please, why would I want to spend so much money on such a car? We paid Ä9k for the Fiesta (new) and R105k for the Defender (not so new)
    Because you love the environment and are afraid of Greta...
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestank View Post
    Single phase charge points in a domestic environment is limited to 32 Amp 7.4 kw. Average EV battery is 100kw. Charge time from 0 to 100% 13.5 hours. In Gauteng this will cost R270. That is with no load shedding and 100% power availability.
    Our Electric car has a 22kw battery, you do not deplete it completely and it has degraded over time (5 years old) so we only use 16kW currently. We charge at 2.5kw rate, and you do not drive the battery from 100% till 0% every day, as you charge every day you just charge what was used for the day. We drive on average 60km for the day. For that we need 9.2kWh so it takes about 4.5 hours to charge. (It does charge slower the fuller it gets). If you buy the 7.5kw charger, you can charge it in under 2 hours. More than enough time at night, even with load shedding. Will set you back about R24 using your price of R2.7/kWh. Far from R270 per day.

Coal fired power stations generate on average 0.455 kg of CO2 per kwh. That relates to 45.5 kg of CO2 per full charge. This will give a range of 370km.
    1 liter of diesel produces 2.7 kg of CO2 from the Toyota mentioned below. At 10l/100km this gives 99.9 kg of CO2 for a range of 370km.
    I'v never done this sum, because I do it to save money, not the planet. But anyway, for 370km of driving, our car will use 56kWh, so only 25.5kg CO2, not 45.5kg.

In Gauteng that will cost R592 at R16/liter. You pay R0.87 more per km.
    As per above, 370km of driving will cost R153.7 or 41c/km or 40km/L at your price of R2.7/kWh. You pay R1.19 more per km for fuel.

Tesla model X price in SA is R3594576.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 200 4.5 D4-D VX-R price in SA R1575100.
    You can drive the Toyota for 2.1 million kms and save 205 days (1380 km range per tank of diesel and 30 minutes per tank refill) on replenishing your energy source.
    I'm sure it will cost less once imported directly. I have nothing to compare to a Land Cruiser, so in your example yes, except you will not save 205 days. you will loose a lot of days, because with the electric car you will never stop at a garage to fill up, it charge at home.

But a new BMWi3 cost exactly the same as a 3series BMW. So you save from day 1 on fuel, and time. Not the other way around.
    We bought a second hand i3, same cost as a new VW Polo Highline, but safer and more luxurious. Yes we do not have a service plan, but we have nothing to service. And also saving from the first kilometer on fuel.

You are going to produce 308.7 tons more CO2 though.
    Then the whole debate around the cost, environmental factors, use of rare earth metals etc. To produce EV batteries must still be taken into account......
    This to me is irrelevant, cost is always what drives innovation. If people do not feel it in their pockets, they will not go for it. So I can not comment on this.

Just my 41c worth...
    Last edited by DirkL; 2021/03/08 at 11:53 AM.
    Dirk Lombard
    Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi
    BMW i3 (Full Electric)

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    What about importing an electric motor and batteries and holders with controllers , cables
    etc and doing a re-powering aftermarket conversion to an existing petrol or diesel vehicle, would that not be the way to go for now...?
    Some years ago I needed 2 wheels for a small Quad. 4 wheels cost nearly the same as a complete Quad. Spares can be expensive. Just compare the price of 10 body parts from a agent for any car!!!!!

I think that comparing the costs now will not work. No matter what you drive, it is still exactly the same energy to propel say a 2t SUV over the hills. You can't change that, whether you derive your energy from diesel or from a power station. The only thing that EV's do is to reduce pollution in the cities. Whether the energy pricing is cheaper for EV or not is also irrelevant, as for now there are no fuel levies on recharging the car. But wait for the moment when the fuel sales revenue will drop....
    Having only some people using EV's and having everybody using EV's is not the same thing.
    Last edited by Tadek; 2021/03/08 at 12:40 PM.

People get hung up on the direct comparison between ICE and electric cars. It's not that straightforward.

Watch this for a more rounded viewpoint.

https://youtu.be/mk-LnUYEXuM

Also, if your goal is to save the environment, start by going fully renewal-able in your house. It will have a much higher impact and cost a lot less money.

Think R250K for a fully kitted solar install vs cost changing to an electric vehicle.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DirkL View Post
    Our Electric car has a 22kw battery, you do not deplete it completely and it has degraded over time (5 years old) so we only use 16kW currently. We charge at 2.5kw rate, and you do not drive the battery from 100% till 0% every day, as you charge every day you just charge what was used for the day. We drive on average 60km for the day. For that we need 9.2kWh so it takes about 4.5 hours to charge. (It does charge slower the fuller it gets). If you buy the 7.5kw charger, you can charge it in under 2 hours. More than enough time at night, even with load shedding. Will set you back about R24 using your price of R2.7/kWh. Far from R270 per day.

I'v never done this sum, because I do it to save money, not the planet. But anyway, for 370km of driving, our car will use 56kWh, so only 25.5kg CO2, not 45.5kg.

As per above, 370km of driving will cost R153.7 or 41c/km or 40km/L at your price of R2.7/kWh. You pay R1.19 more per km for fuel.

I'm sure it will cost less once imported directly. I have nothing to compare to a Land Cruiser, so in your example yes, except you will not save 205 days. you will loose a lot of days, because with the electric car you will never stop at a garage to fill up, it charge at home.

But a new BMWi3 cost exactly the same as a 3series BMW. So you save from day 1 on fuel, and time. Not the other way around.
    We bought a second hand i3, same cost as a new VW Polo Highline, but safer and more luxurious. Yes we do not have a service plan, but we have nothing to service. And also saving from the first kilometer on fuel.

This to me is irrelevant, cost is always what drives innovation. If people do not feel it in their pockets, they will not go for it. So I can not comment on this.

Just my 41c worth...
    Read the 0P. FOR A TESLA. At least you have done some maths and learned a few facts. You are welcome.
    Last edited by ernestank; 2021/03/08 at 04:23 PM.

Through this whole thread all that caught my attention was the huge value add on vehicles..We paying 50% to taxes and duties.How ridiculous is that

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Through this whole thread all that caught my attention was the huge value add on vehicles..We paying 50% to taxes and duties.How ridiculous is that
    What is ridiculous is that we pay all that extra tax so that car manufacturers can get rebates so they can manufacture and export those very same cars to other countries where you can buy them for cheaper than here.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

Although this is a very interesting article, I think the caveat is that this would be true for any car, EV or ICE, that is not available here that you would want to import privately.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

What I fail to grasp is humanityís insistance to keep breeding like rabbits.

Donít worry, I try to avoid attaching a Kreepy Krauly pipe to my car exhaust and then into my car window, which is esentially what weíre doing to the planet right now.

So what youíre saying is I should spend 5 Bar on a Tesla to save the planet? How much money do all the other animal species on this planet invest to save it?

Swambo and I have chosen not to breed, instead of working like dogs using fossel fuels to buy a Tesla.
    Absolutely agree! It's the human plague that we should be solving first.
    Target the cause, not just the symptoms.
    Wayne
    Traveling and living full-time in our Iveco Daily 4x4 camper since May 2016
    i.e. no base, no fixed address, nothing in storage...just drifting ...and loving it!
    2utti's Travels (find us in this closed group on Facebook - a journal of our traveling lifestyle)

Brace yourself behind your car... start pushing like a Springbok lock, until your car is doing about 60km/h. Then keep it up for 10km. Thatís about how much energy is stored in a liter of fuel. Itís wonderful and itís what weíre used to.

if only fossil fuels would last for ever! But they wonít ... cars, trains, planes, ships, power stations are burning fossil fuels as if there will be no tomorrow.

So we better start thinking about other options - solar, wind, tidal, hydro... and EVís.

Every time we save a liter of fuel, however you do it, has got to be a good thing.

For me, the sooner we get on with the alternatives, the better. Itís still baby steps, but you canít learn to run till you can walk. Bring it on!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pole For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    They are designing and manufacturing these vehicles, to in essence reduce the carbon footprint? However, these vehicles are way out of reach of the ordinary man, so the ordinary man will continue to purchase his fuel driven vehicle. Pointless practice in my eyes, as there will never be enough electric cars in circulation to reduce the footprint.
    Come on now, there are different product tiers for the bourgeoisie and average Joe, both in EVs and fuel vehicles.

The Model X is for those that ordinarily drive the range rovers etc. The Nissan Leaf, Kia e-niro etc are for the corolla bunch.

The only showstopper really is charging infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by franshorn View Post
    The costing of the car is not quite accurate, as the initial cost of the vehicle is the RRP in UK, which already included all the taxes to get the vehicle into the UK from the factory, which is likely to be a fair bit similar tax structure to getting it into SA.

IF and then a big IF, is that if Tesla were to ever locally start a dealer chain, pricing will be a lot lower than they paid.
    True. In fact if u were to import it brand new from the UK, start by deducting 20% VAT from that price. Exports from there don't pay the VAT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2