Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default D3, Non-Runner DTV6 SE

Looking to buy a DTV6 SE that's a non runner. The engine needs a recorn due to one of the injectors having overfueled.

1. What can I expect (ball park) to recon an engine?
    2. What does a 2nd hand motor set one back?
    2b. Do Discos have those Jap imported motors, and what should one look out for when buyind a motor?
    Last edited by Hloni; 2021/03/06 at 06:47 AM.

Default Re: D3, Non-Runner DTV6 SE

I followed your 2.8 Jeep thread....
    This project could possibly test your resolve (and your bank manager's), but I'll be a keen follower again.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I followed your 2.8 Jeep thread....
    This project could possibly test your resolve (and your bank manager's), but I'll be a keen follower again.
    Eish...I hear of the horror stories of the Disco, but then I meet a friend who drives his and says "it doesn't compare to a Tuna". He once said " do you suspect all the Discos in the parking lot at the mall have snapped a crank?", I couldn't argue against them. One chap is 6 foot plus and the Disco 3 has headroom and legroom for him, whilst the other drives a D4 and enjoys the comfort as a daily driver and family holiday vehicle.

Let's hear how much a motor might cost. I see runners for R90-140k, so that's a good reference point.

Someone like Mikebob can probably tell you what you are in for, but I suspect you won't get away with much less than 100k
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Sourcing and installing a second hand unit from the UK set me back R130í000 back in 2012
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

Please do not do this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gieds For This Useful Post:

This does not make great sense
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

My mind isn't made up yet, so I came here for some wisdom and advice.

Please where possible, elaborate on your recommendation/suggestion.

R130k (10 years ago nogal!) for a motor feels excessive. I thought the Disco of thay era ran BMW motor and tranny or is it just the Disco Sport?

Contact Mikebob on the forum. He has done a lot of these.
    Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    Defender 90 2.8i
    Audi SQ5 Tdi
    Range Rover 4.4 V8 sold
    Audi A3T sold

Donít rebuild a d3 motor. It will end in tears.. buy a new sub assembly.. expect to pay around 30k for a non runner

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Donít rebuild a d3 motor. It will end in tears.. buy a new sub assembly.. expect to pay around 30k for a non runner
    And there is the reason it is so expensive.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Thanks folks, it looks like this cup shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hloni View Post
    My mind isn't made up yet, so I came here for some wisdom and advice.

Please where possible, elaborate on your recommendation/suggestion.

R130k (10 years ago nogal!) for a motor feels excessive. I thought the Disco of thay era ran BMW motor and tranny or is it just the Disco Sport?
    Nope D3 has the POS Peugeot engine in it.

Someone will come along and claim that the D3 is not rivalled in comfort and space. Could not call mine a station wagon but rather a stationary wagon
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Have a look at this:

https://www.ldrengines.co.za/product...ory/landrover/

I've bought engines from them twice. Very happy both times, both with their service and quality of engine. When I bought a replacement Td5 engine from them, I went to their branch in CT and they attached a gearbox to start it for me. We then found out the turbo housing was cracked - obviously in the accident that caused the vehicle to be written off in Britain. Didn't have one in CT, couriered it down from Gauteng to my home address at no extra cost.

Engines come with turbo, alternator, PS pump, AC pump, the works attached. Both times it was literally plug and play. Just don't let them fit the motor for you - it takes them ages.
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    Have a look at this:

https://www.ldrengines.co.za/product...ory/landrover/

I've bought engines from them twice. Very happy both times, both with their service and quality of engine. When I bought a replacement Td5 engine from them, I went to their branch in CT and they attached a gearbox to start it for me. We then found out the turbo housing was cracked - obviously in the accident that caused the vehicle to be written off in Britain. Didn't have one in CT, couriered it down from Gauteng to my home address at no extra cost.

Engines come with turbo, alternator, PS pump, AC pump, the works attached. Both times it was literally plug and play. Just don't let them fit the motor for you - it takes them ages.
    Thanks EttiennedK - this gives me hope Joana! Let's hear (for future reference) what a motor costs for the D3. I'm sure there will be a variation or 2.

There does seem to be a lot of evidence that the only worthwhile subassembly to fit is the genuine Land Rover one.

Thats what I did (roughly R50k, three years ago) for my D3. Done around 60 000 km since, no issues.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Is it correct that the D3 TDV6 is a 2.7, and the 3.0 only is found in the later models like the D4?

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    There does seem to be a lot of evidence that the only worthwhile subassembly to fit is the genuine Land Rover one.

Thats what I did (roughly R50k, three years ago) for my D3. Done around 60 000 km since, no issues.
    Out of curiosity zoneout, the motor cost R50k, and the labour + sundry? Do you recall?

Quote Originally Posted by Hloni View Post
    Is it correct that the D3 TDV6 is a 2.7, and the 3.0 only is found in the later models like the D4?

Out of curiosity zoneout, the motor cost R50k, and the labour + sundry? Do you recall?
    The 3.0 was in the D4 (in two versions, as far as I know: though not 100% on that one. Maybe a single version and a twin turbo version)

Well...what it cost, thats a long story. I think the sub was closer to R60k. And I took the opportunity while the body was off to do many other things at the same time: new alternator, new starter, both belts, rear upper control arms and some parts in the front suspension too, water pump (I think?), cleaning out the intercooler and radiator, and a whole lot of injector stuff (but not the injectors) as well as fuel cooler and front torsional damper. I bought a vacuum pump as well from LRParts but that only arrived after the body was back on so had to be done later (eish).

The cost was a lot more than I am happy to admit, but I will do so again here anyway: closer to R150k IIRC. A boatload. What can I say? I love the car. Decided to go all in and keep it forever. That was more than 3 years ago, and so far I am happy with having spent the money (though not with the actual amount, you understand!). The labour and subcons (for skimming, flushing, valves) total was about R30k.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

The long story was insightful! I like this part "The cost was a lot more than I am happy to admit, but I will do so again here anyway...I love the car. Decided to go all in and keep it forever". I think knowing what you want and being willing to put one's head on the block for it is critical. Many good a vehicle end up at the breakers because the owner makes the choice to cut losses (for whatever reason).

Thanks for sharing your experience and ratonal.

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    The 3.0 was in the D4 (in two versions, as far as I know: though not 100% on that one. Maybe a single version and a twin turbo version)

Well...what it cost, thats a long story. I think the sub was closer to R60k. And I took the opportunity while the body was off to do many other things at the same time: new alternator, new starter, both belts, rear upper control arms and some parts in the front suspension too, water pump (I think?), cleaning out the intercooler and radiator, and a whole lot of injector stuff (but not the injectors) as well as fuel cooler and front torsional damper. I bought a vacuum pump as well from LRParts but that only arrived after the body was back on so had to be done later (eish).

The cost was a lot more than I am happy to admit, but I will do so again here anyway: closer to R150k IIRC. A boatload. What can I say? I love the car. Decided to go all in and keep it forever. That was more than 3 years ago, and so far I am happy with having spent the money (though not with the actual amount, you understand!). The labour and subcons (for skimming, flushing, valves) total was about R30k.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hloni For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    While on the highway, my wife's 05 Disco 3 TDV6 blew the water outlet, on the LHS of the block, and she drove it till it seized. This was in Durban. It was towed to a repair shop and then on a trailer back to George a cool R15000 later.

I took the body off, stripped the engine and it was sent to the engineers in George for cleaning and inspection. The block was found to be 0.15 worn on the "sleeves", thus needs to be re sleeved as oversize pistons are apparently, not available. I can still come to terms with this.

However, I found the rod and main bearing crunch "loose" and I belief that it cannot be re-sized.

Long story short - I phoned around and the only 2nd hand motor available = R65000 + transport cost to George of about R3500. A new Sub from LR set back @ R65000excl - just for the sub. Is that it or is there other options available to me?

PS the MRS is sentimentally very attached to the Disco
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast