Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    There something amiss in the panel beating business...
    Yes, definitely, but what is it?

Outside of the vehicle owner - who is actually the customer, but for all intents and purposes a bystander - there are 3 parties involved:

The insurer, repairer and parts supplier. I have sat in panel beater offices while they are on the phone, getting a quote for the parts, and you walk off with your quote straight away.

Thinking aloud of a mechanism how collusion could be possible here, I get to the following possible scenario:

The parts supplier has 2 price lists, and depending on who phones, uses the one or the other. But the insurance assessor has to check this to be reasonable, and surely he should work off a very accurate list, as his employer wants to spend as little as possible - if not nothing at all. It's a business remember.

Both the repairer and parts supplier know if the quote is above a certain value, the car would be a write-off. The car will then be sold as scrap to a breaker. So maybe this is where the money is made?

Every now and then the plan backfires, when a Biltong comes along and tells them straight.

Elsewise, it is simply a government plot, where the insurance is instructed - well, not by policy, rather by practise - to write off as many cars as possible for the tax advantage the government gets each time you buy a car :-).

Any other models of conspiracy?
    Last edited by JJJ; 2021/03/13 at 09:25 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    We simply worked on the maximum value they can spend without writing off the vehicle.

So, when I am finished it is still a code 2 and can be reinsured.
    If they wrote it off it would have been an economic write-off so it would have still been a code 2, which is often the case with modern vehicles. Vehicles like that are not scrapped or made code 3 even though they are handed off to the salvagers. They only scrap them if the damage is really bad and they deem it theoretically unsafe to be repaired, which yours obviously is not.

The assessor is perhaps pulling bit of a fast one and using that code 2 bs to convince you to pay more, which I suppose is his job.

Does anyone know the current salvage rate that salvagers typically pay for write offs in the insurance industry?

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Yes, definitely, but what is it?

Outside of the vehicle owner - who is actually the customer, but for all intents and purposes a bystander - there are 3 parties involved:

The insurer, repairer and parts supplier. I have sat in panel beater offices while they are on the phone, getting a quote for the parts, and you walk off with your quote straight away.

Thinking aloud of a mechanism how collusion could be possible here, I get to the following possible scenario:

The parts supplier has 2 price lists, and depending on who phones, uses the one or the other. But the insurance assessor has to check this to be reasonable, and surely he should work off a very accurate list, as his employer wants to spend as little as possible - if not nothing at all. It's a business remember.

Both the repairer and parts supplier know if the quote is above a certain value, the car would be a write-off. The car will then be sold as scrap to a breaker. So maybe this is where the money is made?

Every now and then the plan backfires, when a Biltong comes along and tells them straight.

Elsewise, it is simply a government plot, where the insurance is instructed - well, not by policy, rather by practise - to write off as many cars as possible for the tax advantage the government gets each time you buy a car :-).

Any other models of conspiracy?
    I called a glass place looking for a D2 front screen and the first question I got was "Is it an insurance quote?"
    I wasn't sure if I could claim for it at the time, so I ended up with 2 figures, one less than half the other....
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

There is a guy down the South Coast in KZN. Quite near to Umzinto. You wont find him in any phone book or listed anywhere, BUT is a Landy NUT. Has probably more than a hundred Landys in various conditions. Very much an Off the Grid individual, so be prepared.
    His Name is Graham. 083 9501970.
    Good Luck

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joebo For This Useful Post:

Got him saved on my phone as Graham Ifafa.
    Has a wealth of knowledge.
    Great guy - if you catch him on the right day.

But then again - all of us that love our Landies are somewhat eccentric...
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Bump. Update?
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    Bump. Update?
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Reborn-Thread

She is alive!

Will probably go for a test run today!
    Last edited by biltong; 2021/04/17 at 03:00 AM.
    “The price of stability is unpreparedness.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4