Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,564
    Thanked: 2222

    Default Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Sigh.

    With R 40 000 spent on repairs just two weeks ago and the rebuilt motor which ran like a sewing machine, accident on Wednesday afternoon.

    My eldest dropped me and went to the GF. Unfortunately at the very first robot - one known for accidents - an old omie turned right in front him while he was crossing the green light.

    FFS, he has got his licence only two weeks and although this was clearly not his mistake, I know with more experience he could probably avoid it or reduce the impact as he could not have done more then 50 km/h due to the short straight before the robot.


    I also know exactly why the old omie made his futile mistake.

    At least, no one was bleeding but they got a good whiplash.


    The Huyundai's front end is mince.


    I went to the panel beater today and removed the bumper and a few other parts myself to assess the damage.

    Sadly, the chassis is crinkled behind the radiator beam and it seems the front axle is bent. Initially I though it would only be panels.

    With all these parts, it will be hardly impossible to get the old girl repaired and not a code 3.


    I need to look at options.

    Does anyone perhaps know of a prestine D2 body and interior and a shot motor?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 14.49.01.jpg 
Views:	3217 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	608324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 14.49.02.jpg 
Views:	884 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	608325  
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pta
    Age
    47
    Posts
    968
    Thanked: 122

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Very sad!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,342
    Thanked: 4479

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Dangit. Very sad news
    Willie Knoetze

    2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanked: 674

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Terrible luck, hopefully you'll get a beautiful body
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,584
    Thanked: 1416

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Very sad indeed! -especially just after doing lots of work on it!

    Fortunately everyone's oK-
    Best of luck in finding the bits you need.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

    - Charles Bukowski

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,521
    Thanked: 1505

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Sad to see, what's the book value according to the insurance co?

    They will undoubtedly write it off as uneconomical to repair but you could end up buying it back from them for a bargain. If I remember correctly they typically have an agreement with the contracted salvager to sell written off vehicles to them at 25% of the current retail value, all you need to do is beat that price and it's yours.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,564
    Thanked: 2222

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Sad to see, what's the book value according to the insurance co?

    They will undoubtedly write it off as uneconomical to repair but you could end up buying it back from them for a bargain. If I remember correctly they typically have an agreement with the contracted salvager to sell written off vehicles to them at 25% of the current retail value, all you need to do is beat that price and it's yours.
    Book value R 102 000

    That is certainly one of my ideas. There are a LOT of brand new spares on her. Tyres, shocks, rear airbags...

    I will call my insurance tannie on Monday. I will go and sit on her lap, I will pole dance for her, anything. I really like this car.
    Last edited by biltong; 2021/03/05 at 07:33 PM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,342
    Thanked: 4479

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Looks like the bumper took most of the impact. It would have been much worse if the plastic bumper was still on
    Willie Knoetze

    2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    779
    Thanked: 2054

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Glad everybody is ok. Reinforces why I like big heavy vehicles. My son wrote off his Pajero a few weeks ago - did itís job protecting him.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Vehicle is definitely easily repairable

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,564
    Thanked: 2222

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Perhaps,

    But cost van be high.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent 1 View Post
    Vehicle is definitely easily repairable
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Benoni.
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,150
    Thanked: 742

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Sigh.

    With R 40 000 spent on repairs just two weeks ago and the rebuilt motor which ran like a sewing machine, accident on Wednesday afternoon.

    My eldest dropped me and went to the GF. Unfortunately at the very first robot - one known for accidents - an old omie turned right in front him while he was crossing the green light.

    FFS, he has got his licence only two weeks and although this was clearly not his mistake, I know with more experience he could probably avoid it or reduce the impact as he could not have done more then 50 km/h due to the short straight before the robot.


    I also know exactly why the old omie made his futile mistake.

    At least, no one was bleeding but they got a good whiplash.


    The Huyundai's front end is mince.


    I went to the panel beater today and removed the bumper and a few other parts myself to assess the damage.

    Sadly, the chassis is crinkled behind the radiator beam and it seems the front axle is bent. Initially I though it would only be panels.

    With all these parts, it will be hardly impossible to get the old girl repaired and not a code 3.


    I need to look at options.

    Does anyone perhaps know of a prestine D2 body and interior and a shot motor?
    That is sad. Luckily nobody was hurt.
    To answer your question, there was a d2 for sale during the week. No engine or transmission. I saw it on fb. I'll hunt it down again.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Benoni.
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,150
    Thanked: 742

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Swambo actually took a photo of her computer when she saw it...
    Asking price was 16.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210306_002450.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	608332
    Last edited by Chopped; 2021/03/06 at 12:27 AM.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:


  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,564
    Thanked: 2222

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    Swambo actually took a photo of her computer when she saw it...
    Asking price was 16.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210306_002450.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	608332
    Thanks!

    For R 16 K it can be quite a good idea to swop bodies and I can have the front panels on mine replaced.

    Need to make word of what I find over the weekend on Monday.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:


  18. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,790
    Thanked: 837

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    My D1 had much less damage but the repair bill pushed it into write off territory, so I asked the acessor if I can give them a quote to unbolt damaged panels and grill, bolt on new/secondhand panels and parts. They did accept my quote, I got the parts, had it painted and replaced tge damaged wing, bonnet, bumper, grill and headlight at a fraction of panel shop quote.

    Assesor inspected my repair and signed it off, saying that both me and the insurance had a win win situation, it cost them less, and I had my beloved D1 back.

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,564
    Thanked: 2222

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Looks like the bumper took most of the impact. It would have been much worse if the plastic bumper was still on
    I disagree. A steel bumper in this case increase the risk of a bend chassis significantly.

    In a straight frontal impact, the steel bumper will be to your advantage. With side forces probably not.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,564
    Thanked: 2222

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    My D1 had much less damage but the repair bill pushed it into write off territory, so I asked the acessor if I can give them a quote to unbolt damaged panels and grill, bolt on new/secondhand panels and parts. They did accept my quote, I got the parts, had it painted and replaced tge damaged wing, bonnet, bumper, grill and headlight at a fraction of panel shop quote.

    Assesor inspected my repair and signed it off, saying that both me and the insurance had a win win situation, it cost them less, and I had my beloved D1 back.

    Good new that!

    I am going to follow up on the body posted above as it basically has all the parts I need.

    The idea I have then is to take that one off the chassis, cut mine at the firewall, rebuild the chassis up to the last bush, put my body on it and the front end of the donor car.

    I will use cheap child labour for that!
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:


  23. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,564
    Thanked: 2222

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    Swambo actually took a photo of her computer when she saw it...
    Asking price was 16.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210306_002450.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	608332
    Sold already.

    But thanks! This is what I would need.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 Tdi - "Tink Tanky"
    2004 Discovery 2 Td5 - "Blink Tanky" - Reborn!!
    2002 Defender 130 Td5 - "Jagsbakkie"
    2005 Defender 130 Lexus V8 - "Stink Tanky"
    One Wife. Livid.

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,539
    Thanked: 2986

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Good new that!

    I am going to follow up on the body posted above as it basically has all the parts I need.

    The idea I have then is to take that one off the chassis, cut mine at the firewall, rebuild the chassis up to the last bush, put my body on it and the front end of the donor car.

    I will use cheap child labour for that!
    Seems fair, he bent it so he can help mend it...
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,539
    Thanked: 2986

    Default Re: Sad Day. Seems My D2 might be a write-of...

    Broaden your search a bit, try the likes of Landy Guru in the Cape and Gateway in Wellington, it may be worth the extra distance.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •