Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi2495, MapSource and Routes

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    Is there a chance that you can email me the GDB file to see if I can pick up something.

Daniekotzé 8 at Gmail.com.
    File gestuur. Ek hoop dis 'n strepie é in jou mail, ander gaan hy terugkom. Dan probeer ek maar weer.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

O gits, auto fill....die e is sonder strepie
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    File gestuur. Ek hoop dis 'n strepie é in jou mail, ander gaan hy terugkom. Dan probeer ek maar weer.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Here is an old thread on the subject ............

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...rmin-Nuvi-2495

But somewhere in my memory I seen to recall that with one of the Garmin devices once you had sent routes to it from your PC you then had to import them into the trip planner ??
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

This is was talking about, may not apply to the 2495

https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?fa...UV1OPqAynysBB7
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Yes,

I also have a 2495, didn't even knew that one could still use Mapsource, have been frustrating myself with Basemap.

So, downloaded MS, updated maps, and I successfully downloaded some routes ( about 12), so it seems it's working on mine with MS.

Cheers,

C
    Last edited by CJP; 2021/03/06 at 10:59 PM.

I have tried several options and were able to load all Spook's routes to my Nuvi 2495. Both on internal memory as well as memory card and from both Mapsource and Basecamp. In Basecamp I transfered the routes by dragging them to either the internal storage or memory card. And also by using the "Transfer to Device" icon in Basecamp. This presented me with the choice to transfer to internal memory or memory card. Everything work "almost" the same.

What I have noticed is that when I transfer the routes from Mapsource to the internal storage and memory card, I will open the trip planner on the unit and it will start with the hour glass and then load all the routes in the correct order i.e. 01 up to 19.

However, when transferring the routes from Basecamp, to the unit, the Trip planner will load 01 and 02 then 11-19 and then 03-10. This is then also the order that they are displayed on the unit afterwards. I could not find a way to change the sort order even after switching off and on again.

From the link that was given by AndyT I checked my settings for "Device Transfer" by right clicking on the map under the Nuvi's name and then select "Edit Transfer Settings".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	608415

This took me to the following screen with none of the options selected.

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	608416

By looking at the options, it seems that the only one I might want to change, is the one that gives me the option to always match the route to the map on the device when transferring. However, the way it works now, it will do the recalculation when I open the route. For now I am not going to change anything.

So, to get back to Spook's problem. When transferring from Basecamp, it does not load the routes in the logical order. So it may be that if the limit of 100 routes is reached it will stop the transfer. If I recall from above, the memory card Spook is using holds the T4A map and cannot be formatted/cleaned. I would then suggest that the number of routes on the unit be checked and the storage available in the internal memory as well as the memory card. If you do not have close to a 100 routes, I would try to fit another memory card (to try the transfer of routes), if you have one, or try to transfer to the internal memory.

What I have also picked up in my playing around, is that by deleting the routes from the Trip Planner, it will not delete the routes from the device. It will just not show in the Trip Planner. The internal memory will show the following in the GPX folder:

Name:	Picture3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	608417
    The Temp.gpx file will hold all the routes. The memory card will show the following in the GPX folder:

Name:	Picture4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	608418

Here, each route were copied to a separate GPX file. I am just wondering now if this is not perhaps from where the Nuvi calculates the number of routes up to the limit of 100 on the device. In other words, even after you have deleted the routes from your trip planner, they still show here. Maybe one can try by manually deleting the routes on the memory card and internal storage from the folders shown above. I have just deleted the Temp.GPX file from internal memory as well as all the routes from the memory card and it did not "blow up" the unit. Everything still seems to be working.

By searching on Google, it seems as if some Nuvi's have the option where one can upload "saved" routes from storage to the Trip Planner. However I cannot find such an option on the Nuvi 2495.

I just discovered another way to transfer data to the Nuvi. I saved Tina's GDB file to a GPX file. This GPX file contains all 19 routes as well as the waypoints. I then copied the GPX file to the GPX folder on the memory card. You will recall from my pictures above that the usual transfer methods created separate GPX files for each route. When I switched the Nuvi on and went to Trip Planner, it started loading all 19 routes.

Anyway, this is a long story and I am not sure if will solve Spook's problem. It will be great to hear.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2021/03/07 at 03:54 PM.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

Hallo Spook,

I've not read all the answers so your problem may already be solved.

What we find most often happens, is that because Garmin stopped producing updates for Mapsource in 2012, it does not recognise newer GPS's produced after this. E.g. I bought my Montana in 2013, and I have to use Basecamp/Mapinstall to transfer maps and data from computer to GPS. I still use Mapsource though to do all my planning.

We have also had a few cases where just changing the cable that you are using, or changing the USB port, makes a difference - Garmin sometimes "complains" if you do not use the original Garmin cable with it, this has happened with me with a DriveSmart. If Basecamp picks up your GPS with the existing cable and port, but Mapsource does not, then your problem may just be that Mapsource does not recognise the newer GPS.

You can also open Windows Explorer and see if you can see your GPS listed there while connected to the PC - if you do then the cable is working fine.

I hope that helps!

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2