Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default My 105 'build' thread

So as promised here is the beginning of the thread on the 105 GX I purchased from Petri. As with all older vehicles there are things that need attending to and smaller issues that needed attention. It has got good bones but it needs lots of love!

I probably did myself a disservice by going through the vehicle and highlighting all the issues and problems I would have to attend to. I have made two lists of things I am going to tackle, firstly mechanical issues and secondly cosmetic and trim issues.

As with all land cruisers they crawl under your skin. They all have their own identity and character. Here is to hoping I get ti back to it's former glory.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok BiTDi 4Motion
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My 105 'build' thread

Firstly, the mechanical stuff:

1. Replace radiator pipes and flush cooling system. Leak on overflow pipe from radiator cap to overflow bottle.
    2. Steering damper bushes are perished with a bit too much play in the steering
    3. Oil leak on front crank seal
    4. Idler pulley on its way out
    5. Slight oil leak at rear of motor. Need to ascertain whether it is the upper oil pan seal or the rear main seal. Neither of which will be fun to sort out.
    6. Engine mounts and transfer case mount seem to be getting tired.
    7. Front wheel bearings completely shot.
    8. Spark plugs to be changed (two have water damage)
    9. Leak at join of gearbox and transfer case.
    10. Center and rear exhaust silencers have slight rattles to. Still original
    11. Surge and no power on rear tank under 2300RPM
    12. Windscreen is a mess with chips and cracks.
    13. Front diff lock not engaging.
    14. Rear diff lock engaging very slowly.
    15. “Clunk” when changing gears (nonexistent on slow gear changes and when center diff locked)
    16. Windscreen wipers due replacement
    17. Brakes ‘bite”.
    18. Front disks warped.
    19. Tyres need immediate replacement. The newest tyre on the vehicle was manufactured in the third week of 2010 and the oldest two were from 2002. The roadworthy department had a good laugh at me when I first took it there.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Cosmetic and Trim issues

1. Front bumper to be secured correctly or just replaced with something more solid.
    2. Grill mount point on passenger side broken.
    3. Paintwork on bonnet, and fenders leave a lot to be desired. Not original, however I am convinced they are the original parts on the vehicle.
    4. Driver’s side door handle is broken and needs to be replaced.
    5. Steel rims have been painted poorly.
    6. General body has a lot of bumps and bruises.
    7. Rear bottom tailgate paint job is HORRIFIC. It looks like body filler was given a quick once over with 80 grit sandpaper and painted as is.
    8. Spare wheel mounts need their rubbers replaced as there is a bit off play when clamped closed or like the front, just replaced the whole bumper.
    9. Replacement key as one of the spares is cracked and replace all remote batteries.
    10. Main window switch was cracked and front window not functioning due to crack.
    11. Front passenger window switch broken.
    12. Window channels need a good clean, especially front passenger window.
    13. Rear door catches need to be cleaned and adjusted.
    14. Small rattle in front left dash.
    15. Change trim piece on center console where holes have been drilled to previously mount something.
    16. Change trim piece on front right switch panel, hella plug mounted in it currently.
    17. Replace number plate light globes.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

So after the first week of ownership I took the vehicle in for a full compression and leak down test. Cylinders 1,2,3,5,6 were all very happy and are in good condition. Cylinder 4 however was not such a happy camper. Failed it's leak down test and would in all likelihood be attributed to valve stem seals. YAY

I then tried to take it to our roadworthy center and have roadworthy done as Petri hadn't managed to do it, as with a lot of businesses, COVID was blamed and they sent Petri packing . If anyone gets a sniffle these days things are locked quicker than you can say "good morning".

Upon arrival at the testing center I was told to save my money as they wouldn't look at the vehicle with its current tyres. Far to old! Oh well, at least I didn't pay my R500 ripoff fee before this

As much as Petri doesn't like BF's, I do, haha. So I then set about sourcing a set of new KO2's. NOT an easy thing to do these days. I decided to go up a size and fit 285/75R16's. I thought, if I am going all in we may as well do it properly and replace all 6 tyres. Oooooooo, it hurt so bad!

First photo was about 20 minutes before I almost threw up paying for them. Second one is old man Harry sitting happily on his new rubber.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Sitting Pretty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lc4.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	608182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lc5.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	608183  
    Mike

Out in the bush!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

With the brakes that were extremely sharp, I did a full system flush, new brake fluid and re-set the handbrake for it's big day back at the roadworthy

I arrived at the testing station full of nerves. Don't ask me why though. After paying my exorbitant roadworthy fee Harry was pulled in for his test. It was almost over before it started , rear number plate not visible! I had to remove both spare wheels. Removing one wasn't good enough. Both had to come off. Even with begging and pleading showing them the number plate holder that fits on the rear spare wheel carrier was not goods enough (I didn't have it on as it still has it's original CA plate on it.

Other than that mishap, the handbrake worked flawlessly for the 5 minutes I needed it and the vehicle flew through the test with his fresh rubber an all.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

.... and back to reality.

So what I have managed to accomplish so far:

I have replaced all 6 spark plugs, the tips of the previous set from Petri all had perfect burns on them, however with the two with water damage and corrosion I wasn't prepared to take the chance, rather replace them all and not worry about them. I now have 4 perfectly good spares though

I noticed the vehicle had been using a bit of coolant, hence why we did all the tests. Checked all the coolant pipes etc. Found some perished and old pipes so we changed them all, did a full coolant flush and filled the old man up with some fresh coolant.

The front wheel bearings have been changed (one less noise to listen for)

All windscreen wipers have been changed (I don't know if any of you get the satisfaction like I do of fitting new wipers, it almost feels like a new car)

New steering damper is on order, will be keeping it as OME in keeping what is currently on the vehicle

I have managed to change out and replace the main window switch and passenger switch, all is working as it should. Definitely need to give the window runners a good clean out, however that is something I will attend to when I change and update the speakers on the vehicle.

I have found why the front difflock was not engaging....the cables have broken off the actuator on the diff. New plug is on order. Rear difflock has had a good clean and is working as it should.

Two keys replaced and fitted with fresh batteries.

And now for the big one which is going to be my project over next weekend. The transfer case is getting a full rebuild and refresh of bearings and seals along with the rear gearbox oil seal. All parts bought from Toyota. Not as expensive as I had thought initially but still not much fun to do. While I am at that I will fit the new belt idler pulley which has also arrived at Toyota and is read for collection.

One of the most pleasant things about this vehicle and working on it, is the parts availability from Toyota. I have yet to find something I cannot get my hands on. Granted, a lot of the electrical stuff (read main window switch) is exorbitant but the mechanicals, I find are all fairly priced and I am not prepared to skimp on pirate parts. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a very long time, so if I'm going to spend money on it, we are going to do it properly!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike

Out in the bush!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

following with interest. Looking great.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jds For This Useful Post:

Mike this is such a nice project! It will cost money but will be very satisfying and you will end up with a very nice vehicle. Almost wish I could help you!

PS. What trees are in the background behind the dam? The "orchard".
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2021/03/04 at 01:01 PM.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Mike this is such a nice project! It will cost money but will be very satisfying and you will end up with a very nice vehicle. Almost wish I could help you!

PS. What trees are in the background behind the dam? The "orchard".
    Thanks Francois.

It is going to be a lot of fun and yes it is going to cost lots of money, but the fun will definitely outweigh the negatives at the end of the day. A lot to do but I only want it ready for the end of the year when (fingers crossed) we head up into Namibia.

IF you come to White River you can come spin a spanner

They are macadamias. Full up in this part of the world.

Edit: the larger trees are gumtrees, and the smaller ones are the macadamias.
    Last edited by AfricainHD; 2021/03/04 at 01:26 PM.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Self Edit.
    Last edited by Shorty.; 2021/03/04 at 01:25 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorty. For This Useful Post:

Klipkopjie ?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Geoffth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    .... and back to reality.

So what I have managed to accomplish so far:

I noticed the vehicle had been using a bit of coolant, hence why we did all the tests. Checked all the coolant pipes etc. Found some perished and old pipes so we changed them all, did a full coolant flush and filled the old man up with some fresh coolant.
    My type of thread. Keep up the good work Mike. With the EFI engines it is important to use the Toyota spec antifreez.
    Their aluminium heads are prone to corrosion damage if filled with the wrong coolant.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Awesome stuff!! Wish I could work on my vehicles myself but my motto is “do what you are good at and outsource the rest”

Interesting on the front diff lock. Mine also does not engage. Will have it looked at during next service
    Last edited by Nys; 2021/03/05 at 07:35 AM.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    My type of thread. Keep up the good work Mike. With the EFI engines it is important to use the Toyota spec antifreeze.
    Their aluminium heads are prone to corrosion damage if filled with the wrong coolant.

I've read that everywhere and so when I went to the local stealer, they only had 1lt in stock the salesman was rather perplexed when i had to ask for 13 x 1lt
    Mike

Out in the bush!

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Awesome stuff!! Wish I could work on my vehicles myself but my motto is “do what you are food at and outsource the rest”

Interesting on the front diff lock. Mine also does not engage. Will have it looked at during next service

100% agree with you. It's why I outsource my ironing

Jokes aside, I had the privilege of growing up on a farm and working in remote areas for years. You learn things quickly then.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

This is good to read through and keep me looking out for things on mine.

I inherited mine from my dad when he passed away late 2019, so I know most of the history behind it.

I recently had the front axle serviced and replaced all bearings and seals - the pivot bearings were not in good shape...

On the sharp braking, I had the same, where it brakes as usual and then all of a sudden the front bites- is this your experience?
    Bled the bakes, removed and refitted etc, would help for a bit and then happen again.
    Then I changed the flexible hoses (just the last ones to the calipers) and no problem since .

That is a loooong list !

I salute you !
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold and bought her Back !)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TheoM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    This is good to read through and keep me looking out for things on mine.

I inherited mine from my dad when he passed away late 2019, so I know most of the history behind it.

I recently had the front axle serviced and replaced all bearings and seals - the pivot bearings were not in good shape...

On the sharp braking, I had the same, where it brakes as usual and then all of a sudden the front bites- is this your experience?
    Bled the bakes, removed and refitted etc, would help for a bit and then happen again.
    Then I changed the flexible hoses (just the last ones to the calipers) and no problem since .
    They were sharp from when I picked up the vehicle. Petri had let me know about about so I thought I’d start with a system flush as I had no history of when the last flush and brake fluid change was done. It is something I’m going to watch. And I will have to change the front disks sometime due to them being slightly warped.

I’ll just keep on checking and will post here if there are any changes
    Mike

Out in the bush!

Quote Originally Posted by TheoM View Post
    That is a loooong list !

I salute you !

It is a long list but when it is completed and added to what Petri had already done on the vehicle this cruiser is going to be almost perfect. I am slightly OCD when it comes to vehicle maintenance.

ooo and I will be replacing all bushes on the vehicle as well.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast