Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Little bugger tried to interrupt a conference call

Name:  IMG_20210303_101110.jpg
Views: 3711
Size:  218.1 KB

This guy decided to literally come out of the wood work during a conference call in the boss's office.
    He came out about 20cm from my colleague's foot and then decided to reverse back into the woodwork.

I grabbed him with the leatherman and, while the rest sat wide eyed, continued with the call.

I don't know if the person on the other side of the phone suspected anything.
    This one is pretty poisonous.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Little bugger tried to interrupt a conference call

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Name:  IMG_20210303_101110.jpg
Views: 3711
Size:  218.1 KB

This one is pretty poisonous.
    Don't eat it then .
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

I forgot, sorry.
    Venomous.
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Yip - thick-tailed Parabuthus Granulatus by the looks of it, ranked 7th most venomous scorpion in the world.

You don't want to get stung by one of these but if you do soak some paraffin into a cloth wad of sorts and pack that on the sting area keeping it in place for a day or two. Repeat if need be.
    Prado VX 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Yip - thick-tailed Parabuthus Granulatus by the looks of it, ranked 7th most venomous scorpion in the world.

You don't want to get stung by one of these but if you do soak some paraffin into a cloth wad of sorts and pack that on the sting area keeping it in place for a day or two. Repeat if need be.
    HUH

And this is works? Please provide a link or some sort of evidence for this...
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

I agree looks like Parabuthus granulatus. Can be very painful but not deadly for teens and adults under 75. Never heard of the paraffin treatment. A friend once got stung in the Kaokoveld and we tried diesel which did not work. He was in considerable pain so my boss took him to a mission station as we had no strong pain killers with us. It was quite a drive, about 75 K about 11:30 at night and no moon.
    When they got there and woke up the missionary there was a great reunion. Brian and the guy at the mission had been teachers at the same school in Cape Town in their younger days!
    Petrol on the other hand does help. Wet a cloth and place over the sting for a few minutes then remove and wait till the wound is dry and the repeat until the pain subsides.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    HUH

And this is works? Please provide a link or some sort of evidence for this...
    I cannot speak for Del. But I've seen various (old) papers dealing with rubbing paraffin or vinegar on sting sites. Not sure if this was in the belief that it would destroy the proteins in the venom or not. However, perhaps it is merely because paraffin may assist in taking the sting away a little.

For example: I was zapped on the foot by a scorpion in Kokerboomkloof during my trip to the Richtersveld in November. I could never identify the thing as it got into my sandal as I was walking and I sort of obliterated the creature in my surprise when I was stung. I totally squashed it... That sting was something else, and the burning and itching sensation returned every couple of hours over the following two or three days. I treated it with anthisan whenever the burning flamed up again. Considering that is a anti-hystamine, it sort of makes sense.
    However, considering the use of paraffin tratements for folk with arthritis and similar, perhaps using it for scorpion stings is not as far-fetched as your HUH deems it to be.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Actually I'd say that's a ​Parabuthus capensis​ but as with all buthidae, avoid that stinger. See: http://www.biodiversityexplorer.info...s_capensis.htm.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Actually I'd say that's a ​Parabuthus capensis​ but as with all buthidae, avoid that stinger. See: http://www.biodiversityexplorer.info...s_capensis.htm.
    I am pretty convinced you are 100% right here.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

My neighbour ended up in the ICU because of a thick tail, so I treat all thick tails here as deadly.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I cannot speak for Del. But I've seen various (old) papers dealing with rubbing paraffin or vinegar on sting sites. Not sure if this was in the belief that it would destroy the proteins in the venom or not. However, perhaps it is merely because paraffin may assist in taking the sting away a little.

For example: I was zapped on the foot by a scorpion in Kokerboomkloof during my trip to the Richtersveld in November. I could never identify the thing as it got into my sandal as I was walking and I sort of obliterated the creature in my surprise when I was stung. I totally squashed it... That sting was something else, and the burning and itching sensation returned every couple of hours over the following two or three days. I treated it with anthisan whenever the burning flamed up again. Considering that is a anti-hystamine, it sort of makes sense.
    However, considering the use of paraffin tratements for folk with arthritis and similar, perhaps using it for scorpion stings is not as far-fetched as your HUH deems it to be.
    My HUH wasn't meant in a negative way. I just have never heard of this form of treatment before and therefore asked for a link and especially for potential life threatening stings from the type the poster mentioned... We live and learn and that was the thrust of my post.

I would say that if it is indeed a treatment I would personally use it as a last resort for highly venomous scorpion stings.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

The size is important to assist identity

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirtBasher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBasher View Post

The size is important to assist identity
    Only if you are sure that you are dealing with a mature scorpion. Scorpions are soft when born and only get their exoskeleton after the first molt, this happens 4 - 7 times before adulthood
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Would very very hot water help.?

Not Granulatus but Capensis.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Would very very hot water help.?
    No - actually Not sure , but I remember a guy that plunged his hand into boiling water after he was zapped by a stone fish in vetch's pier and they had a picture of his hand on the front page of the sunday tribune. It was totally covered in blisters and boils and looked really bad.

Then someone said that warm water would have been fine. I think they mentioned around 50-60 degrees, but please don't quote me on this. I know very little about biology, but don't want people shoving their bodies into boiling water because of something they heard.

Hot not boiling water is recommended as it denatures the proteins.

Much like Covid and lockdowns there is no point in boiling water as the treatment does more damage than the disease

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

I'm not an expert, but this has been discussed at various places before - including somewhere on this forum. I think the gist of the last discussion was that whilst hot water can breakdown the proteins that make up venom, the issue with scorpion stings, snake bites and similar is that the venom is too deep. In these cases, applying heat at the temperature and depth required in order to break down the proteins would result in far more tissue damage.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Once on a first aid course, we were told that meat tenderizer (like Robertson's) will break down the protein of any poison. Since then I always carried a little holder in my car (never had a chance to test it though).
    Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 4x4 Auto
    Mercedes A class (Platkar)
    BushLapa Boskriek "Boskewer" B599
    Fluid Synergy

Here's a review paper on hot water treatment for marine stings. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2579537/

Not necessarily the same for scorpion venom(s) as they will have different enzymes. But interesting all the same.

My first reaction was to think that heat that would denature proteins in venom would probably denature your own proteins as well. Also that hot water would not heat very far under the skin. But, empirical evidence seems to show otherwise.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend_Warrior For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast