Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I want to get the takealot packaging tender

Who do I talk to about becoming a box supplier to takealot because they seem to have money to burn.

Bought a PC screen for work and while I was at it I ordered a screen protector for swambo's apple watch. So the item that measures maybe 50mm corner to corner arrives in a box 250x170x80

Still fantastic service, ordered yesterday morning with normal shipping at it was on my desk lunchtime today.

Name:  IMG_1237.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  326.3 KB
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Default Re: I want to get the takealot packaging tender

It is that size for packing and stacking purposes. But does seem to be a bit of a waste.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

Got an order delivered today. Three different boxes used. Also thought it was a terrible waste! (One of the boxes had three car wash sponges in it only, and there were a lot of space in the others for the sponges!)
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Brainless and insane packaging indeed.

Got a cellphone with protection screen and purse delivered. Clearly the very same order.

It came in 3 different boxes about 1/4 m3 together.

After unpacking all items fitted neatly into my trousers' pocket
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

In my case the 6 cases of Tafel 500 ml just fitted the boxes.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 95 "Witblitz" Jeep XJ 99 "Goldi" Swambo's

And the last time I ordered beer they just wrapped the cases of 6pack bottles with that plastic tape, not even in a closed box.
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Yesterday my two cases of 500ml Tafel cans arrived half heartedly wrapped in pallet wrap. Still great service. Perhaps they took note of wasted packaging and saved two boxes on my delivery?
    Mark Prutton

From a logistics perspective, its a balance to get a stable, safe, unitary handling load which can also maximise both storage and transport cube.

Add complexity in width and depth of products from diverse sources and which are not related (a tent and a case of beer although some will point out that these are definitely related) to the diverse ''size'' and quantity of any individual order amongst all of the possible permutations of possible orders, it becomes a difficult and costly challenge to fix.

However, shipping 3 items from one order in different sized boxes to the same recipient can be managed so that the best size box can be selected.

Stocking 150 box sizes isnt practical and if attempted, it can lead to stock outs of that box size, given the randomness of order volume, quantity and products that they handle daily.

Various picking rules might be employed, such as pick by item all orders for one item and then consolidate by individual orders. Picking by destination (Regional) and then consolidation into individual orders at destination might be employed, which often leaves the destination sorting to recycle ''bulk'' boxes that consolidated items were received in.

Not condoning the incident mentioned by Anton, but its a lot more complex than it appears initially, especially if you are intimate with that operation
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    From a logistics perspective, its a balance to get a stable, safe, unitary handling load which can also maximise both storage and transport cube.

Add complexity in width and depth of products from diverse sources and which are not related (a tent and a case of beer although some will point out that these are definitely related) to the diverse ''size'' and quantity of any individual order amongst all of the possible permutations of possible orders, it becomes a difficult and costly challenge to fix.

However, shipping 3 items from one order in different sized boxes to the same recipient can be managed so that the best size box can be selected.

Stocking 150 box sizes isnt practical and if attempted, it can lead to stock outs of that box size, given the randomness of order volume, quantity and products that they handle daily.

Various picking rules might be employed, such as pick by item all orders for one item and then consolidate by individual orders. Picking by destination (Regional) and then consolidation into individual orders at destination might be employed, which often leaves the destination sorting to recycle ''bulk'' boxes that consolidated items were received in.

Not condoning the incident mentioned by Anton, but its a lot more complex than it appears initially, especially if you are intimate with that operation
    I appreciate the complexity of managing their order volume in such a manner to get the items to me by the next day, hence my compliment.

This is the most severe case I've had, but it happens one just about every order, often my stuff would have fitted in this size box, but it gets shipped in the next side up box. Amazon seems a lot more efficient at matching items to box size (or maybe they apply more care with international orders due to volumetric weight).

I have 2 or 3 more orders in the pipeline, curious to see what packaging that arrives in.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Remember, Takealot sells items from various other sellers.

So you place an order for a phone, screen protector and some other bits for your lawnmower. The 3 items will probably come from 3 different suppliers.

They instruct the three different sellers to please send over the items from their warehouse. It gets to the Takealot warehouse and they just collect the boxes and courier it to you.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Bought 12 boxes of fireballs fire lighters and gas lighter.Three separate boxes very oversize.All could fit in the smallest box....same supplier.

My thought also,who decides what packaging size to use??
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Maybe a box manufacturer can chip in. There might be an economic or optimal size from a manufacturing perspective where it is cheaper to buy the next size up.

Just guessing but not uncommon with some items.

Sometimes sizing parameters play apart. Products 1 to 1 000 will fit in box size 3. From 1 001 to 2 000 box size 6 will accomodate the range.

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Not just Takealot. We get many parcells from China. Item can be 1x1x60cm but packed in a 15x10x70cm box. Here I think it is a matter of using standard sized boxes. At times getting 120 of these items in the same box. In this case tubes with IC's.

They clearly pay the couriers a flat rate no matter size or weight because with big boxes volume comes in to play not only weight.

It happened to me as well in the past, think it was a couple of flash drives and I got it in a box bigger than 20x20, stuffed with paper and bubble wrap.

I doubt they use a couple of standard box sizes, I got them in all shapes and sizes before.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Maybe a box manufacturer can chip in. There might be an economic or optimal size from a manufacturing perspective where it is cheaper to buy the next size up.

Just guessing but not uncommon with some items.

Sometimes sizing parameters play apart. Products 1 to 1 000 will fit in box size 3. From 1 001 to 2 000 box size 6 will accomodate the range.
    Im in the packaging industry. We make cutting dies and printing stereos for corrugated board (boxes)

You must understand that every box starts off as a sheet of cardboard. It requires a cutting die to be made to transform the board into something that can be folded into a box. Being made from a fixed die the slightest size difference requires a whole new die. And dies are expensive!! The special cutting and creasing rule for the board has to be able to stay sharp for a few thousand runs of boxes and then it must be re-ruled with new blades. It cannot be sharpened.

Bearing the costs in mind of the tooling needed for a box to be made you cannot charge an awful lot for a box. So the economical thing to do is to get a few average sized boxes for all your products instead of a dedicated one for each.

One thing I didnt mention is the printing of these boxes. You need a printing plate for each box size as well as the artwork cant be too small or too large for the box. These also add a lot to the cost and also need to be replaced regularly as its done using the flexographic process.

If anyones interested I can post a few pics tomorrow of what these dies and plates look like and you might just appreciate the humble box a bit more.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    They clearly pay the couriers a flat rate no matter size or weight because with big boxes volume comes in to play not only weight.

It happened to me as well in the past, think it was a couple of flash drives and I got it in a box bigger than 20x20, stuffed with paper and bubble wrap.

I doubt they use a couple of standard box sizes, I got them in all shapes and sizes before.
    I agree. Dimensional pricing was introduced by Fedex and UPS a couple of years ago. This entails charging for the space taken up in transport vs the weight. The SA logistics industry has been using vilumetrics for awhile. You can get charged more for a 100kg of feathers than 100kg of lead which takes up less space.

The waste and environmental impact aside, its possible that a flat rate per box doesnt involve any financial pain for TA so no incentive to get the right box matched to the product. Couple that with what Sheldon says and the economic and management impact of having the right boxes available its easier and "cheaper" to just ship a common sized albeit incorrect and wasteful box.

Maybe someone should take it up with TA as it has a negative brand impact. They arent unique in doing this.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    They clearly pay the couriers a flat rate no matter size or weight because with big boxes volume comes in to play not only weight..
    Yes they do. When you open a commercial account with a courier company you are giving a standard rate. This is also within reason.

For example we use The Courier Guy, they charge us R80 ex Vat for a parcel as long as it fits in their van. If its too big for the van you then get quoted truck prices.

Now I know takealot use the courier guy as well as a lot of the notices and emails are for the attention of takealot vendors. They also use Fastway. Fastway has the standard pricing albeit a bit cheaper and a bit slower than the courier guy.

Thats why you can get three boxes for one order. Or an oversize box.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

When you transport large volumes of same or similar item boxes/packing has to be such that standard pallets and containers are filled up to the maximum. You take a Container. It has specifies size. You use pellets that fit exactly. Pellet size dictates the box size... How important are the dimensions? On its peak Nokia shipped millions of phones. Somebody did get an idea. Nokia changed the thickness of the cardboard for their packaging to save transport. Saving was hundreds of truck loads per year.

When shipping odds and ends packing cannot be packed effectively on transport pellets by humans. Wait until they start using robots to do this. The first big courier company that can pack pellets and those airplane containers full will be able to cut costs. Transporting air is expensive.

I go regular to Takealot collection point and I see how inefficient the transport system is now.

Swedish and Finnish post offices charge extra cost from the parcel receiver if the parcel is not a box but is funny shaped wrapped packet. Chinese on line retailers use these wrapped packets. Automated sorting lines cannot handle those = humans have to be used = expensive.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Just a couple of points on Takealot. They own Mr D couriers. Also as a third party that sold through Takealot, you ship to them, they repackage and send out.
    Wicus Diedericks

Takealot has lost the plot. I received a delivery today from Takealot and the items came without packaging, only labels. There was one big box which was mostly empty! The box was big enough the contain all the items received. Of course some of a non-packed item (the glass lid from a frying pan set) was damaged in delivery and now I have to return it.

According to the delivery guy, he is getting a lot of similar complains. The delivery guy was not interested in raising this to Takealot, he said that it is not his problem as he only works for Takelot for deliveries and does not do the packing and recommended that I return the items and complain to Takealot. He was wearing a Takealot uniform but according to him he does not represent Takealot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast