Default Campsites & Road Conditions Somerset West to Crocodile Bridge

We are visiting Kruger NP in April. Need to find campsites (one night stay over) and 'best' route ('best' route = safe to tow caravan at +-100km/h, avoiding hotspots etc).

Garmin suggests the following (I have never been in some of these areas)

Somerset West to Winburg on N1, then Bethlehem on N5, Warden on R714, Vrede on R103 & R34, Standerton on R546, Bethal on R39 & R38, Hendrina, Carolina, Badplaas, Barberton all on R38 up to N4.

I am familiar with the N1 and have travelled from Winburg to Bethlehem once 20 years ago. Totally unknown is from Bethlehem to Barberton / where the R38 joins the N4.

Any suggestions regarding the route will be appreciated.

We have 3 days to get there and need campsite for daily sleep over. Have been to Forever resort Gariep once and wasn't impressed. Probably flooded now anyway. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Campsites & Road Conditions Somerset West to Crocodile Bridge

I dont know the route and it depend how far you can travel in a day. Also how far from Komati you want to camp. Between Baberton and Kaapmuiden you have hot spot where they jive for equal, rights lectric lights and nik naks and what ever ,just outside Baberton, Sheba, Lilly mine, revolver creek -louws creek regularly. You never know when and to turn back will frustrate you. Think and give more pointers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bertus For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Campsites & Road Conditions Somerset West to Crocodile Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    I dont know the route and it depend how far you can travel in a day. Also how far from Komati you want to camp. Between Baberton and Kaapmuiden you have hot spot where they jive for equal, rights lectric lights and nik naks and what ever ,just outside Baberton, Sheba, Lilly mine, revolver creek -louws creek regularly. You never know when and to turn back will frustrate you. Think and give more pointers.

We are staying over in Harrismith day 2.
    From there I was thinking, Warden, Vrede, Standerton, Ermelo, Breyten, Carolina, R38, Baberton, R38, Kaapmuiden & then N4 to Malelane or Croc Bridge.

Now you have me worried