Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    I'd think the MFG is almost always going to come out on the losing end of these. How many sales will it cost, vice cost to MFG to solve and have a customer service win? If it costs 2 sales? 3 sales?

Certainly, not knowing the facts of the matter, make it impossible to comment meaningfully on the specifics of this case - my comment is more in general. I've only had one "big" issue with a vehicle where there was opportunity - a Jeep grand cherokee that had just gone out of warranty, had a major transmission issue. Jeep fixed it, no cost. They did not have to. I remember that.
    Disagree.

People on the street see this, read it and move on. Maybe take a cell phone pic to show a mate. But soon forgotten. And if a week from now the person that read the banner wants to buy a Ford, he will still buy a Ford, if its his brand of choice.

The banner says the vehicle is out of warranty.

This chap can quickly find himself in a world of trouble if Ford decides to react.
    Last edited by jaconell; 2021/03/02 at 05:41 PM.
    Jaco Nell

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

My Ranger is on 78 000 currently... Should I be worried? Nervous laugh...

1 month or 6 month out of warranty..Its out of warranty.Too many things can cause injector issues..Ask a guy like that where he fills up and his answer might be, that no name brand place that sells diesel cheap cheap..I would also be livered and probably try ll channels to see if the dealer will pay the damage but not as far as this oke went.

Well I can only speak from my own experience, I have owned 2 diesel Focuses, brilliant cars when they work but my word if something goes wrong you are on your own (one was in warranty and full history with Ford when I sold it and the other was bought from Ford directly with "full peace of mind certified second had car" guarantee). I tried MULTIPLE dealers in Gauteng and they were all pretty crap, I could go into details but that chapter is closed, so won't.

The point is 2 fold, I know how it feels when you treat your vehicle with care, it still breaks and then the manufacturer tells you to get stuffed, and secondly due to that fact I will never buy a Ford again, even though the actual vehicles are really quite nice. Thats my 2 cents

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Eish, I suspect this sort of owner sees the red mist descend if he feels he's been poorly treated by Ford. He then becomes irrational and acting on "principal" overcomes judgement (and money spent).

Ford are silly, it is very well known that if you treat your customer reasonably only the truly mad will go off like this. For me, the damage and Ford's behaviour to it (and the customer) is enough to make me steer clear of them. There is plenty of (good) competition.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Disagree.

People on the street see this, read it and move on. Maybe take a cell phone pic to show a mate. But soon forgotten. And if a week from now the person that read the banner wants to buy a Ford, he will still buy a Ford, if its his brand of choice.

The banner says the vehicle is out of warranty.

This chap can quickly find himself in a world of trouble if Ford decides to react.

Perhaps. I used to work for a luxury goods manufacturer. The products were expensive - $250,000 - $2m - but in their "class" of product, were a "Ford." This manufacturer had a similar choice to make with a customer - a grey area, and on a product out of warranty. The company chose to not provide support. This particular customer was very vocal - and weaponized social media.

The reputational damage was serious - and it was from a forum like this, but in that particular interest sector, and in the US. I had left the company several years prior, but still followed it had a number of friends there. There were def. two sides to the story, but the company could have fixed this guy's problem out of good will for far less than what was cost in reputational damage. Now, the market also had a big downturn (coming into the 2008 US financial crisis) so they were in for a rough time anyway, but in those conditions, the strong survive. They were not strong. And it was partly due to decisions like this, and the reputational damage suffered as a result.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Which brands will cover their vehicles out of warranty? Maybe warranty should not expire on any brand, then we don't have to buy the extended warranty crap?
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Which brands will cover their vehicles out of warranty? Maybe warranty should not expire on any brand, then we don't have to buy the extended warranty crap?
    Audi rebuilt my A4's motor on 137k km due to excessive oil consumption, this was done under goodwill as it was a known issue. I can tell you that I now have 2 Audi's parked in my garage, and I am not scared to tell the story. Perhaps money well spent?

I am also in the service space and I will be the first to admit that some customers are unreasonable, sometimes to the extent that one can't really even count them as customers, so there certainly is 2 sides to a story. I can also tell you that very rarely does it make sense to treat a customer like crap and a customer that has been serviced above and beyond usually stays a customer for a long time. Naturally there are exceptions, but these are exceptions in my experience.

Generally it is considered 6-10 times as expensive to source a new customer than it is to keep an existing customer, perhaps this doesn't hold true in the motoring industry, but it certainly is the case in most other industries.
    Last edited by Commander; 2021/03/02 at 06:42 PM.

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Perhaps. I used to work for a luxury goods manufacturer. The products were expensive - $250,000 - $2m - but in their "class" of product, were a "Ford." This manufacturer had a similar choice to make with a customer - a grey area, and on a product out of warranty. The company chose to not provide support. This particular customer was very vocal - and weaponized social media.

The reputational damage was serious - and it was from a forum like this, but in that particular interest sector, and in the US. I had left the company several years prior, but still followed it had a number of friends there. There were def. two sides to the story, but the company could have fixed this guy's problem out of good will for far less than what was cost in reputational damage. Now, the market also had a big downturn (coming into the 2008 US financial crisis) so they were in for a rough time anyway, but in those conditions, the strong survive. They were not strong. And it was partly due to decisions like this, and the reputational damage suffered as a result.
    Your view well noted.

I got involved in the mother of all punch-ups with Ford SA a couple of years ago. You can deliver a brand-new, free-of-charge Raptor to my doorstep with a nice bow across the bonnet and a bottle of Dom Perignon on the passenger seat - and my 1st instinct will probably be to put a match in its tank. So, I have had to display much restraint in my initial reply. And I very well understand that fundamentally the product(s) that caused my blow-out with Ford SA were not "bad", it was Ford SA's reaction that started the fight. BUT, these were vehicles well within warranty.

But the thing is - it is not about Ford in this case. It is about a chap not understanding the meaning of "WARRANTY". Most warranties have a very defined period. After expiry your on your own. If you desire a "Lifetime Warranty" - go and buy a Leupold Rifle Scope.

So, I am just perplexed as to why any manufacturer should be expected to honour out-of-warranty claims. Can you imagine the deluge if vehicles (across all manufacturers) pitching at service centres if this was the norm.

Anyhow, Ford SA is not at all unfamiliar to being blasted on social media, and their sales figures still looks great. And I am obviously no fan of the brand. And I won the fight.
    Jaco Nell

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    ...., this was done under goodwill as it was a known issue.
    I think the “hole burnt in the piston” is also a known issue with Ford. Surely if it’s a known problem, they should offer some goodwill. In this day and age, we all know an engine shouldn’t fail on 80 odd thousand km or 29000km. I’ll be rather naar if I buy a new vehicle and a major failure occurs on relative low mileage.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Show 1 manufacturer with a clean slate?
    HENK

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

A warranty is a contract.
    The terms of the contract are clear.
    You can ask nicely, but to stink it up like that will not bring the manufacturer over to your side.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2021/03/02 at 07:54 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

So, I see a lot people here stating the owner is being a bit harsh, and it is out of warranty anyway. Does anyone perhaps know the km's of the car?

If he bought this car new, I really feel for the oke. Not all of us have money to rebuild an engine. I understand it is out of warranty, but without context as to what exactly happened, I feel it's just not right for us to judge who is in the wrong.

I kinda actually think the guy is at least doing something about people selling crap and getting away with it, most of the times we all just accept poor service from providers.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

The difference is that if it was a toyota, you sell it with the damaged engine for double the price of the ford!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Frikstervx200 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    A warranty is a contract.
    The terms of the contract are clear.
    You can ask nicely, but to stink it up like that will not bring the manufacturer over to your side.

Indeed. But say the warranty expired at 50,000km.

A major structural failure requiring a complete engine rebuild occurs at 50,001km.

The vehicle has been maintained to the manufacturer's requirements.

You own from new.

Are you happy? No. Is the manufacturer/dealer in the right, to deny support? Yes.

SHOULD the manufacturer support? In my view yes.

We have no facts about the customer and dealer's interactions in this case, what was, what was not offered.

My point is just that, when running a business, you have to choose between what is legally correct, and what is business optimal. They are not always the same thing.

If the manufacturer chooses to not assist, its up to the customer how he reacts - maybe using publicity is the only tool the customer feels they have?

From the service/manufacturer side, I'd always err a bit towards the customer, on the hope that its rewarded with strong reputation and repeat business. Not because some customer wants to throw a tantrum. Some customers cannot be pleased no matter what --- but if you have a strong reputation for service, others when viewing that customer's tantrum are more likely to thing, humm, well, that's not characteristic of that manufacturer, so perhaps there is more to the story.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/03/02 at 10:12 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Strange thing. I never recall an issue with Toyota about these things. Yet Ford seem to have it constantly. Hell, including people burning in cars.

No thanks.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to natand For This Useful Post:

What does this guy want to achieve?

He is spending money on informing the world how bad Ford is, but really, the world does not care - strike 1.

He has alienated Ford with his actions, doubt his current actions will bring them back into play - strike 2.

The nett result - he is no closer to a mobile again Ford - strike 3.

Last question - has he really spoken very nicely with Ford? Really, really nicely? We do not know.

Not even thinking about what may happen if Ford starts packing muscle into the issue as well.

Irregardless, I feel sorry for him.
    Jaco Nell

Yes some manufacturers have much more issues then others.
    Johan Kriel

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    What does this guy want to achieve?

He is spending money on informing the world how bad Ford is, but really, the world does not care - strike 1.

He has alienated Ford with his actions, doubt his current actions will bring them back into play - strike 2.

The nett result - he is no closer to a mobile again Ford - strike 3.

Last question - has he really spoken very nicely with Ford? Really, really nicely? We do not know.

Not even thinking about what may happen if Ford starts packing muscle into the issue as well.

Irregardless, I feel sorry for him.
    I would say he is venting and acting out, he is backed into a corner and doing the only thing he can think off at this point. Is it the mature thing to do? I don't think so no. Will it be effective? Probably not. But it at least makes him feel like he is able to do SOMETHING.

We don't know the situation, so difficult to say, who is wrong and who is right, probably a bit of both is usually the answer.

And yes I also feel bad for the guy...

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Could a person like this not be sued for defamation of the brand or something?

Could Ford perhaps tangibly calculate how much reputational damage this could cause to them in lost sales ect?

I find this akin to the cancel culture where people are lynched mobbed without any concrete facts.
    They could, but Streisand Effect... and is the guy lying about anything or just stating facts?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast