Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 199
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,215
    Thanked: 1224

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I think any manufacturer can have a dud, and I don't think any reasonable person, would hold that against them. What the mothership does when they have a dud, does however make a huge difference.

    Going against Ford in this case. When they had explorers falling over in the US, they threw bridgestone under the bus, even though bridgestone supplied a tyre to ford's specification.
    When ECO sports were bursting into flames all over the world they were digging their heads in the sand.

    If a bad public perception of something exists, then it is really up to marketing to change that perception. That's their job! I think I have mentioned elsewhere, I don't trust mitsubishi to carry spares, but hear they are otherwise great vehicles. I don't trust Nissan's parts pricing, but being Japanese, I assume they are also good vehicles. I have not driven either, so my perception may be totally unwarranted, but that perception must be changed by them as it clearly exists in many peoples minds.

    THe greatest example I know of this, was when Debeers went into one of the asian markets and something like 3% of people getting engaged would have a diamond wedding ring. After a few years of Debeers marketing this number was in the mid 90's. Thats marketing success!

    I am sure that many recall the case where a Qantas A380 lost an engine and had to make an emergency landing. Roll Royce refused to comment and Qantas was all over the news. I recall someone at the time saying that RR had allowed quants to become their defacto spokesperson by saying nothing.

    Ford clearly need to figure out how to improve their brand perception.

    Toyota has spent a huge amount on marketing and advertising in publications, and this has given them the reputation they have.
    I think VW are pretty good at marketing and BMW also seem to have a fair handle on it.
    Been trying to say little in this thread and just reading with amusement (HaKa is going to have a Kadenza again when he gets here)..........but I could not disagree more with your last statement!
    In a nutshell Toyota are where they are because they spend more on R&D and extensive testing, they are generally conservative and very astute in their approach to development.

    Guys also need to chill, this gets posted in the pub why can't guys respond?? Without a response/debate the forum will turn very sterile pronto!! If you want to blame anyone then blame the OP
    It's almost as bad as when a certain Ranger owning member pleaded with other owners to stop posting their bad experiences as it drives down the resale values(I kid you not)
    FJC - Just Cruising

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,324
    Thanked: 859

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Die Uwe View Post
    Jip you get them everywhere

    Normally they are a vegan, ride mountain bike on the road and use only apple products

    Oops.
    I am a steak eater , Dont ride a Mt Bike and use Windows PC's etc But have hassle Free Experiences with my Hiluxes, Corollas , Cressidas over the decades>> just a warm fuzzy feeling seeing that Badge on the Steering Wheel on a long trip something I never had on my only Non Toyota IBM Company Car a 2.0 l Sierra SW which conked out outside Steynsburg on a Sunday afternoon , Co Scrapped it and removed the Brand from the list as there were others who had Probs on the staff

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Boksburg
    Posts
    169
    Thanked: 294

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I am a steak eater , Dont ride a Mt Bike and use Windows PC's etc But have hassle Free Experiences with my Hiluxes, Corollas , Cressidas over the decades>> just a warm fuzzy feeling seeing that Badge on the Steering Wheel on a long trip something.
    I can say the same about all the Fords i have had and still have.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,264
    Thanked: 1581

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Been trying to say little in this thread and just reading with amusement (HaKa is going to have a Kadenza again when he gets here)..........but I could not disagree more with your last statement!
    In a nutshell Toyota are where they are because they spend more on R&D and extensive testing, they are generally conservative and very astute in their approach to development.

    Guys also need to chill, this gets posted in the pub why can't guys respond?? Without a response/debate the forum will turn very sterile pronto!! If you want to blame anyone then blame the OP
    It's almost as bad as when a certain Ranger owning member pleaded with other owners to stop posting their bad experiences as it drives down the resale values(I kid you not)

    I am not saying the product is ###. I have been testing with them (Toyota) in Uppington. We were dragging a trailer with a truck retarder that holds the vehicle at a selected speed. 2nd Gear max power, in that case was around 5200rpm. Drive 20mins in 40Deg ambient, and then turn around, and drive 20mins back, all foot buried in the floor and all in 2nd gear. I was in the back of the DC controlling the towing dyno and cringing with the abuse the poor motor was under.

    Then it was full up with fuel as it had all been sucked dry by that little test, and repeat the same test at max torque which is less torturous. Then simulate full GVM up van Reenens and then max speed also 20mins each way. If any of the temps get within 10Deg of boiling they fail the vehicle. (This is a lot earlier than many of the other Oems by the way.)

    So I am not saying they have a crap product and good marketing, but they do have very good marketing. Nissan on the other hand, I suspect also make a very good product, but have abysmal marketing and always seem to lag them in the sales charts by a long way. Isuzu and Mitsu are also really good products IMHO, but their marketing is ### and so they don't have the perception that they probably deserve.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:


  6. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    43
    Posts
    952
    Thanked: 1329

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    The only vehicle out of 30 that has left me with a major failure was my 2005 Golf 1.9 Tdi. The turbo packed up within 2000km of the warranty expiring, dodged a bullet but at the time VW had major issues with those engines, in our company at the time I knew of 5 other failures of 1.9 Tdi's in different vehicles. VW apparently later changed their turbo supplier and it solved the issue.

    I owned two more VW's after the Golf.

    I have a client who had endless issues with a Landrover Disco 4, he got tired and bought a Fortuner because of Toyota's STELLAR reliability reputation. After a month the Fortuner was leaking oil on his garage floor the vehicle had not yet covered 5000km. After a fight Toyota gave him a new one, not long after that the new one had developed the exact same problem!

    Apparently a diff or prop-shaft issue with that particular batch. He eventually threatened legal action and Toyota gave up the fight and refunded his money.

    He is now driving a new Landrover Discovery Sport and is happy not having any issues......... so far.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  7. #126
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,521
    Thanked: 2111

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    I can say the same about all the Fords i have had and still have.

    Yepp. Had a ford platkar. It was a good car. Have a another ford platkar now. I really like it. My own father been driving a 3.2 BT50 (essentially a ford) for years now and includes several trips into Africa.

    My Father in law on his second Ranger. Initially and reluctantly he traded in his Prado on his first one. (Was a Nissan and Toyota fan). He is a Ford convert now. (Also many offroad trips with a heavy trailer/offroad caravan to boast about) Sweartjie (his son) just bought a Ranger as well.

    None of us had any problems with our Fords.

    But I fear uncle Betts is maybe an extreme example. He is of the "everything else other than what I have, is utter rubbish" conviction...
    Last edited by New; 2021/03/03 at 04:46 PM.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:


  9. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    31
    Posts
    302
    Thanked: 1273

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Yepp. Had a ford platkar. It was a good car. Have a another ford platkar now. I really like it. My own father been driving a 3.2 BT50 (essentially a ford) for years now and includes several trips into Africa.

    My Father in law on his second Ranger. Initially and reluctantly he traded in his Prado on his first one. (Was a Nissan and Toyota fan). He is a Ford convert now. (Also many offroad trips with a heavy trailer/offroad caravan to boast about) Sweartjie (his son) just bought a Ranger as well.

    None of us had any problems with our Fords.

    But I fear uncle Betts is maybe an extreme example. He is of the "everything else other than what I have, is utter rubbish" conviction...
    Uncle Pete knows everything, in fact even Google goes to him for answers

  10. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,859
    Thanked: 5331

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    I really find those pics of the Ford on the truck hilarious.........seriously.

    Wonder what that signage of his confession cost him........
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

  11. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oasis
    Posts
    659
    Thanked: 3030

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Uncle Pete knows everything, in fact even Google goes to him for answers
    Jelo should be out on parole soon.

    Uncle Pete is usurping his throne
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

    "When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

    New

  13. #130
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,264
    Thanked: 1581

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    The only vehicle out of 30 that has left me with a major failure was my 2005 Golf 1.9 Tdi. The turbo packed up within 2000km of the warranty expiring, dodged a bullet but at the time VW had major issues with those engines, in our company at the time I knew of 5 other failures of 1.9 Tdi's in different vehicles. VW apparently later changed their turbo supplier and it solved the issue.
    The early Tdi's turbo went through a resonant frequency at the reef that was not picked up in early testing and was not an issue closer to sea level. The early BMWs 320ds also had a habit of eating turbos.

    We are actually quite unique globally in terms of our centre of mass of vehicle ownership being at high altitude. We also have a predilection for speed that is not seen in other countries and so SA tends to expose faults that are not seen in other markets. Luckily the guys are quite quick to pick up on these and fix them.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:


  15. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    48
    Posts
    187
    Thanked: 234

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Good morning guys, i had a great restful sleep last night, no worries.......

    How are you ford guys doing this morning?
    Barry Hall

    Land Cruiser 105

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to BarryCH For This Useful Post:


  17. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,823
    Thanked: 6475

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryCH View Post
    Good morning guys, i had a great restful sleep last night, no worries.......

    How are you ford guys doing this morning?
    Me too, And this morning I could drive my Ford to work, afford the fuel, and actually overtake other vehicles.
    Did you get your oxen hooked up?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  19. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    44
    Posts
    364
    Thanked: 474

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryCH View Post
    Good morning guys, i had a great restful sleep last night, no worries.......

    How are you ford guys doing this morning?
    Phoned my BIL this morning, he did not answer, probably only feel asleep in the early hours of the morning - he is still waiting for feedback from Ford regarding his R850k Raptor that left him stranded in Kuruman...

  20. #134
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,823
    Thanked: 6475

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Phoned my BIL this morning, he did not answer, probably only feel asleep in the early hours of the morning - he is still waiting for feedback from Ford regarding his R850k Raptor that left him stranded in Kuruman...
    Or, he is just gatvol of you smirking over the phone
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  21. #135
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    48
    Posts
    187
    Thanked: 234

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    I feel as strong as my oxen this morning, firing on all pistons.


    For the ford guys, the piston bit was aimed at you, just in case you were wondering.
    Barry Hall

    Land Cruiser 105

  22. #136
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,075
    Thanked: 1547

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    I find it amusing. I always thought the rabid Toyota owner thing and the complete disdain for anything which was not appliance white, was restricted to a single individual who used to type all in blue. However, the smirkiness seems to affect many Toyota owners. I presume the smirkiness is probably just their unhappiness on their bland and miserable choices being thrown into sharp relief. It's like witnessing a kindergarten fight...




    PS: The smileys are for the really grumpy, militant Toyota people to get the fact that this is a joke.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  23. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    48
    Posts
    187
    Thanked: 234

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Naa we just like revving the ford okes early in the morning, the only thing you can rev is the driver as the vehicle can not handle it.
    Barry Hall

    Land Cruiser 105

  24. #138
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    34
    Posts
    987
    Thanked: 1353

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    I don't get the rivalry between Ford and Toyota.

    I mean, they are completely different vehicles.

    The one is a boring but usually reliable vehicle that will at some point be stolen or hijacked, leaving you stranded.

    The other is a little less boring, tupperware vehicle that may or may not have a piston issue, with a slightly smaller chance of being hijacked or stolen.

    The one has to call itself a Legend, the other thinks its a bird of prey.

    If you want a real bakkie, buy an Isuzu.

    (Guys, this is completely TIC, I really don't care what bakkie you drive)
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:


  26. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    31
    Posts
    302
    Thanked: 1273

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I don't get the rivalry between Ford and Toyota.

    I mean, they are completely different vehicles.

    The one is a boring but usually reliable vehicle that will at some point be stolen or hijacked, leaving you stranded.

    The other is a little less boring, tupperware vehicle that may or may not have a piston issue, with a slightly smaller chance of being hijacked or stolen.

    The one has to call itself a Legend, the other thinks its a bird of prey.

    If you want a real bakkie, buy an Isuzu.

    (Guys, this is completely TIC, I really don't care what bakkie you drive)
    Isuzu .... combining all the worst aspects of Ford and Toyota into one package

  27. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Askham
    Age
    63
    Posts
    38
    Thanked: 49

    Default Re: Ford owner not impressed.

    Eish Barry carefull now with the pistons.
    You seem to forget the piston saga on the Toyota Prado D4D where Toyota issued a Technical Bulletin etc...pistons cracking and burning holes etc.
    For the record I drive a Toyota HiLux..

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to moxy dunn For This Useful Post:


Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •