Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Namakwa Ecotrail Part 2 plus West Coast Questions

Having done part 1 we are planning to do part 2 in the 2nd half of the year so I have a few questions.
    If I look at the route the distance and time from Vioolsdrift to Tierhoek Campsite is about 150km and around 6 hours which seems a quite a haul. Is there a recommended campsite or is it a case of finding a suitable spot en route? The alternative is Rooiberg Guesthouse but we would rather camp.

The trip from Tierhoek to Bakkranse seems like quite a short trip comfortable in a day, and similarly for the the section from Bakkranse to Brandkaros unless I have miscalculated this? After that we plan to tour down the coast overnight at Hondeklip then to the off grid "campsites" near Lepelsfontein any recommended spots here and do I have to book?

Default Re: Namakwa Ecotrail Part 2 plus West Coast Questions

We camped at Oewerbos River Rafters Camp for a few days and then went from there to Tierhoek in one day - comfortably.
    We were towing an XCAPE caravan.
    On the way there are several good spots that can easily be used for wild camping.
    Not sure what information you have but this may help.
    Enjoy.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Oooops - link problems.
    See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    We camped at Oewerbos River Rafters Camp for a few days and then went from there to Tierhoek in one day - comfortably.
    On the way there are several good spots that can easily be used for wild camping.
    Enjoy.
    Awesome reply thanks. My information is from the map supplied by Namakwa Ecotrail when we booked for part 1 , the coordinates provided from yours is great additional information. I see the route marked to Tierhoek did not take the viewpoint loop into account was this part of your route or was it excluded?

Below is our route on the whole Eco Trail.
    This was in August 2013 - one night we had snow - Springbok had lots.
    Bloody cold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Namaqua Eco Trail.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	521.9 KB 
ID:	607963

Nope - I do not think it included the viewpoint loop.
    Well .... not sure.
    Last edited by PRA; 2021/03/02 at 03:35 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Enjoy.
    I have heard that the river played havoc with those places along the river at Vioolsdrif.Any truth in that?
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 95 "Witblitz" Jeep XJ 99 "Goldi" Swambo's

Below is our route on the whole Eco Trail.
    This was in August 2013 - one night we had snow - Springbok had lots.
    Bloody cold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Namaqua Eco Trail.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	521.9 KB 
ID:	607963
    Nope - I do not think it included the viewpoint loop.
    Well .... not sure.
    I did a mountain bike race that started in Okiep September 4 years ago and it was freezing so I'm already organizing the 12v under blanket warmers . Looking at the route you definitely did not do the loop which is probably why Oewerbos to Tierhoek was an easy day for you. The loop adds about 2.5 hours, we aren't towing so we might be quicker but I'll either avoid the loop or wild camp.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    I have heard that the river played havoc with those places along the river at Vioolsdrif.Any truth in that?
    From some of the social media posts it seems like little damage now that the river is dropping.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Hi Guys,

We are doing the first part of the route in April. I just have a question small question regarding the second section. Attach is a picture, will it be possible to drive the track next to the river to go to Rooiberg Guest house or is the Stone Pile route a better option. We have a stay over in Vioolsdrif so we have the entire day.

My plan was to take a drive to the stone piles and stack a few stones of our own and then turn arouns and head back to take the road against the river to Rooiberg Guest house where our next stay over is.

I have seen on Youtube that there is also a few caves in the area which would be nice to stop and take pictures, or what do you think is a must see in that area.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sp1d3rW1r3 View Post
    Hi Guys,

We are doing the first part of the route in April. I just have a question small question regarding the second section. Attach is a picture, will it be possible to drive the track next to the river to go to Rooiberg Guest house or is the Stone Pile route a better option. We have a stay over in Vioolsdrif so we have the entire day.

My plan was to take a drive to the stone piles and stack a few stones of our own and then turn arouns and head back to take the road against the river to Rooiberg Guest house where our next stay over is.

I have seen on Youtube that there is also a few caves in the area which would be nice to stop and take pictures, or what do you think is a must see in that area.

Thanks
    I can't answer your question regarding which is the better route but I do know that the section to Rooiberg as well as the part you have marked next to the river falls under a different permit protocol to the Namakwa Ecotrail permit ( Stone pile route). If you want to take that route you need to apply for a permit from Nababeep Nature Reserve +27277188800 speak to Hanneke. There's no cost involved they just want to be notified as to who is in the reserve and you my be asked to present your permit if you come a cross conservation officials.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Should you not ask the owners of the Rooiberg Guest farm?

If you zoom in to that section on T4A they talk about an "Extreme rock Drive" next to the river.
    Last edited by BarnieH; 2021/03/04 at 04:10 PM.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 95 "Witblitz" Jeep XJ 99 "Goldi" Swambo's

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    Should you not ask the owners of the Rooiberg Guest farm?

If you zoom in to that section on T4A they talk about an "Extreme rock Drive" next to the river.

I did phone Rooiberg Guest House but unfortunately they could not give me information regarding that section.

Hi Guys,

Thanks
    When are you going, we'll be there also 3rd week April.
    2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 3.0 D-4D Melville and Moon seat covers, Gobi-X rock-sliders, Maniac4x4 front bumper, Safari snorkel, Rhinocab canopy, 2" Tough Dog Suspension with 40mm Adjustable shocks, Maxxis AT811s, Gobi-X rear bumper.
    2005 WJ JEEP Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD sold 2" Zone coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, 245/75/R16 Bighorn 764s, Rola cargo carrier, Escape Gear seat covers, Auto Technic "Bulli-Prop" DC propshaft, Maniac4x4 front bumper.
    BMW F30 320i M-Sport - daily drive

Enjoy.
    Our experience in Sep 2018 as well.
    Yes, there are other wild camping opportunities.
    Depends how much time you have available.
    Do NOT work on KM distances, work on conditions and travel time.
    Even more so if towing anything.

PM me with your email addy if you want my 2018 trip report which covered a very much longer and regionally wider trip but includes that section.

I am jealous !!!!

It was warm / hot at the time we were there.
    No rain, water levels low.
    Hope this helps.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

PM received, Email sent with attached PDF report(s).
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Camping at Tierhoek was an absolute privilege.
    A place of great serenity & solitude.

"What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
    Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
    You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
    A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
    And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
    And the dry stone no sound of water... "
    T.S. Eliot. The Wasteland.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/03/06 at 03:42 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Hi Guys,

Thanks
    That section that you've enquired about is not that difficult. I'm not sure I'd do it with a caravan though. There is a small section just before you come to the riverbed that you turn up that needs a little spotting just to get around the sharp dark rocks in sand.

The river was in flood recently and it is possible that sections of the trail would have been under water and might be muddy. That campsite has grass and is very pretty. It is a favoured one for the river companies.

The riverbed back to Eksteenfontein is stunning and you should take it slowly early in the morning, not because there's anything difficult, which there isn't, but because it's very beautiful and feels very remote.

The stone pile road section is doable in polo.
    Andrew to all.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kamanya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wtrlan View Post
    When are you going, we'll be there also 3rd week April.
    Our road trip starts on the 2de of April and we will be starting the Eco trail on the 4th of April.

Hi Guys,

Thanks

UPDATE: the old jeep track along the river (circled in the map in a previous post) from the entrance of the conservancy along the river to Kanikaip has been completely washed away by the floods and is now not passable at all.
    Dave Lehr
    Richtersveld Wilderness Camp
    Lexus LX470 (OMG did that camelthorn just scratch the pearl duco!?)
    Toyota Landcruiser 80GXP (aaaagh why did I sell it!!?)
    2 x Landrover SIII Shorties (still my favorites - and they keep the tools oiled)
    Plus a couple of Range Rover HSE's and Disco's in my time...but please don't remind me.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast