Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Basecamp/Google Earth "Training"

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=269460
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadbiker View Post
    Thanks for the training, could you please give a link to the page you have on 4x4community that you showed last night?
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petzer View Post
    I think to split it after each Q&A would be good. Bite size chunks!
    Good idea
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Matchbox". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

I posted this on the T4A dedicated thread, but suspect that not many will read this. Sorry to repeat here:

I have bought a T4A version 2020 in March last year. Loaded on the 376Cx last week and correct version showed on machine.

I received an upgrade notice for 21.03.01 and downloaded it to my computer today. All good. The new version shows on Basecamp.

The 376cx was oonnected to the laptop when this download was done. When I try to install the maps to the 376cx it says that it has the latest. When I boot up the 376cx off line, it shows the old version of the T4A on the map setup page still. Rebooted laptop and 376cx but no change.

Not sure I did the right thing by having the 376cx connected when I downloaded. Tip or info would be appreciated. Otherwise I will contact T4A in the week.

Fiddled and found a way - opened M/S explorer, deleted the 2020 version and reloaded ok. Seems ok.

Thanks - sorted i think.

Another hassle I have is that I bought the mc from OW just as lockdown started and that mc had the Africa map loaded, i.e. it was regionalised with the TOPOACTIVE AFRICA MAP. The mc was defective - thre was a hardware fault as it did not read the Garmin battery - and OW and Garmin provided me a new mc after a time. I was taking time to get into Basecamp, now helped a lot by Danie, and will now beaver away at it. Just noticed that this replacement mc has world and euro maps loaded and not the Africa map - Worldwide DEM Basemap, Recreation Map of Europe, Digital Globe and some Europe Birdseye maps. Should I try to sort? Have not been using this mc as my cars have navigation and first overlanding trip in April 21 only. My fault I guess for not trying sooner! Tips on this?

Thank again.

I would split it - say one section covering the setting up of Base Camp and the second dealing with routing - tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    I was thinking of the recording. It will be a video of just over 2 hours. Should I keep it as one long video or split it into separate videos? Perhaps split it after each Q&A. What do you think?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Update: called Garmin today and provided them with both the unit ID'S and they mailed me very quickly acknowledged the matter and offered to sort by courier, via OW or via their walk in office in Rosebank which I will use. Very helpful on the phone. Plus will give unit a once over. Will post outcome. Great so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    I posted this on the T4A dedicated thread, but suspect that not many will read this. Sorry to repeat here:

I have bought a T4A version 2020 in March last year. Loaded on the 376Cx last week and correct version showed on machine.

I received an upgrade notice for 21.03.01 and downloaded it to my computer today. All good. The new version shows on Basecamp.

The 376cx was oonnected to the laptop when this download was done. When I try to install the maps to the 376cx it says that it has the latest. When I boot up the 376cx off line, it shows the old version of the T4A on the map setup page still. Rebooted laptop and 376cx but no change.

Not sure I did the right thing by having the 376cx connected when I downloaded. Tip or info would be appreciated. Otherwise I will contact T4A in the week.

Fiddled and found a way - opened M/S explorer, deleted the 2020 version and reloaded ok. Seems ok.

Thanks - sorted i think.

Another hassle I have is that I bought the mc from OW just as lockdown started and that mc had the Africa map loaded, i.e. it was regionalised with the TOPOACTIVE AFRICA MAP. The mc was defective - thre was a hardware fault as it did not read the Garmin battery - and OW and Garmin provided me a new mc after a time. I was taking time to get into Basecamp, now helped a lot by Danie, and will now beaver away at it. Just noticed that this replacement mc has world and euro maps loaded and not the Africa map - Worldwide DEM Basemap, Recreation Map of Europe, Digital Globe and some Europe Birdseye maps. Should I try to sort? Have not been using this mc as my cars have navigation and first overlanding trip in April 21 only. My fault I guess for not trying sooner! Tips on this?

Thank again.

I feel very comfortable with my Garmin and routing but would have loved to have joined. Never too wise to not learn.
    I hope to be able to access the videos of the session.

Ps: I'm not sure if Openmaps was discussed during the session. Just for info, they have a free service where certain Garmin products can download very detailed route and track maps and then have it installed of the units.

Bossies toe!!!

Work : Toyota LC HZJ76
    Home : Trailblazer 2.8 4X4 LTZ
    SWAMBO: Toyota Avanza - Gone
    Conqueror Commander

Google know too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry OpieTremspoor View Post
    I feel very comfortable with my Garmin and routing but would have loved to have joined. Never too wise to not learn.
    I hope to be able to access the videos of the session.

Ps: I'm not sure if Openmaps was discussed during the session. Just for info, they have a free service where certain Garmin products can download very detailed route and track maps and then have it installed of the units.
    I have a video of the session. Fortunately work is a bit hectic this week (I get paid by the hour ) and haven't gotten around to split it into smaller segments.

I have not played with OpenStreetmaps yet and it was therefor not discussed.

I have a video of the session. Fortunately work is a bit hectic this week (I get paid by the hour ) and haven't gotten around to split it into smaller segments.

I have not played with OpenStreetmaps yet and it was therefor not discussed.
    Can you post the link please?
    Hennie
    Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C Legend 45 4X4
    Challenger Wilderness 450 with Tentco TTT

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Play View Post
    Can you post the link please?
    I finished 2 of the 3 videos when the change from stage 1 to stage 2 loadshedding caught me unaware and the pc shut down while I was busy saving the 3rd....mad....mad. I'll wait for the power to come back on and redo video 3. Then I will upload them to YouTube.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

I finally managed to finish and upload the videos of the training session. I have split then into 3 videos.

The training session was split into 3 separate videos covering the items below. Each heading has a link to the YouTube video.

Video 1:
    * - Basic GPS/Garmin terminology
    * - Basic differences between street navigators and off road orientated navigators/GPS’s
    * - Differences between MapSource and BaseCamp
    * - Understand the "logic/structure" of Basecamp i.e. storing of info/data, folders, lists, etc.

Video 2:
    * - Creating waypoints
    * - Creating and working/changing routes

Video 3:
    * - Google Earth Basics
    * - Creating tracks in Google Earth
    * - Transfer to BaseCamp then to GPS
    Last edited by Daniek; 2021/03/17 at 11:00 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Thank you Danie. Done Module one today..
    Hennie
    Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C Legend 45 4X4
    Challenger Wilderness 450 with Tentco TTT

Hi Danie,
    ... also missed your first session as I was in place without internet...
    but doing my homework now, working through the 3 Videos ... many thanks .

Please send me a Teams Invite to your next session (this Sat?) ... will email you details.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/03/18 at 05:57 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    Please send me a Teams Invite to your next session (this Sat?) ... will email you details.
    Hahaha... There is no follow up session booked yet. At least not for this weekend. The grand children are coming to visit and there will therefor be other priorities.

Then if there is sufficient number of people wanting to do it again, we can start a new thread and decide what it shall cover.

Hahaha... There is no follow up session booked yet. At least not for this weekend. The grand children are coming to visit and there will therefor be other priorities.

Then if there is sufficient number of people wanting to do it again, we can start a new thread and decide what it shall cover.
    OK Thanks ! ... Im sure your videos will
    guide me through the right waypoints !
    Many Thanks.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/03/19 at 09:32 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

I can no longer transfer data between by Zumo 660 and Basecamp (using version 4.8.11) on a MacBook Pro. I could always do this in the past but after updating to the new Basecamp version the "transfer" tabs are faded and doesn't work. It doesn't seem to "see" the GPS because there is nothing listed under "My Garmin Devices" top left of Basecamp . Anyone else with the same challenge? How do one correct this?
    Last edited by lirritma; 2021/04/29 at 05:17 PM.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4