Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Victron DC-DC in Amarok

I've been reading up a lot about running my auxiliary battery in the back of the Amarok, but obviously not enough as I'm still pretty confused as to what the heck is going on. Feel like a kid watching politics.

My setup at the moment is fairly simple. 1 x main battery in the engine bay, NL Intelligent solenoid fused running to the bin to an Anderson plug. Anderson plug into the battery box with a 75ah lead-acid, 12v socket running a small Waeco induction fridge.

I am planning on replacing the fridge with a proper fridge/freezer combo so in the process want to get my power sorted properly by replacing the NL Solenoid with a DC-DC charger, preferably Victron due to cost and availability. I want to add solar down the line, but this is not part of the short-term plan. Running 3 x canopy LEDS, a camp light and minimum 2 x USB sockets does form part of the plan though.

So my questions:

1. Will this be a suitable charger? If not, what from the Victron range would be suitable without breaking the bank
    2. Would something like an NL Green Battery Box be better suited (although much more expensive)
    3. What would be the best way to run power for USB and LED lights from a straight forward dual battery system
    4. Can a solar controller easily be added to the above system?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jeepman85; 2021/03/01 at 04:24 PM.
    My speelding: 2012 VW Amarok 2.0 TDI
    Vrou se speelding: Astra OuPC

Default Re: Victron DC-DC in Amarok

Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/03/01 at 04:28 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Thank you, but that's a considerable sum of money, although very nice

I would say that this is the minimum sized Victron you can get away with https://sunstore.co.za/products/vict...8aAk6vEALw_wcB
    It also sets you up should you want to go to a lifepo4 later on, I have the 30a version and added a WRND PWM solar charger (R500) to the system without a problem although I don't run the two chargers at the same time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I would say that this is the minimum sized Victron you can get away with https://sunstore.co.za/products/vict...8aAk6vEALw_wcB
    It also sets you up should you want to go to a lifepo4 later on, I have the 30a version and added a WRND PWM solar charger (R500) to the system without a problem although I don't run the two chargers at the same time.
    Thank you. I had a look at that specific model and quite like the remote monitoring and management. If I do not plan on going lifepo4, would you still recommend this specific version?
    What were to happen if you run both chargers at the same time? I will be adding solar to the roof (when I get there) which means charging from both solar and alt while driving

Get the Victron 12 v 30 amp charger, works a treat..
    And later get the Victron Solar charger75/15, connect it directly to your batts and solar panel, as easy as that.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaptein Jack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman85 View Post
    Thank you. I had a look at that specific model and quite like the remote monitoring and management. If I do not plan on going lifepo4, would you still recommend this specific version?
    What were to happen if you run both chargers at the same time? I will be adding solar to the roof (when I get there) which means charging from both solar and alt while driving
    I think you are going to find the 75ah a bit light when you change to a proper fridge, for example my 40l Engel uses about 20ah overnight so if you plan to stay over for 2 nights you will have to add solar or your battery will die. However, this version is compatible with both lead acid and lifepo4, but if you have no plans to go to lifepo4 you might as well look at a solenoid charging system which you can get for about R1k. I honestly have no idea if you can run them simultaneously but here's a link that might help. https://community.victronenergy.com/...-simultan.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post
    Get the Victron 12 v 30 amp charger, works a treat..
    And later get the Victron Solar charger75/15, connect it directly to your batts and solar panel, as easy as that.
    This one?

https://www.re.com.na/victron-orion-...html?cat=80176

I think you are going to find the 75ah a bit light when you change to a proper fridge, for example my 40l Engel uses about 20ah overnight so if you plan to stay over for 2 nights you will have to add solar or your battery will die. However, this version is compatible with both lead acid and lifepo4, but if you have no plans to go to lifepo4 you might as well look at a solenoid charging system which you can get for about R1k. I honestly have no idea if you can run them simultaneously but here's a link that might help. https://community.victronenergy.com/...-simultan.html
    eish, 20ah overnight? Eina

I do have the NL solenoid at the moment, but I don't trust it for some reason (perhaps TOO much reading up on the subject)

eish, 20ah overnight? Eina

I do have the NL solenoid at the moment, but I don't trust it for some reason (perhaps TOO much reading up on the subject)
    The 20ah is in a typical overlanding cycle - wheels down at 16h00 and on the road again by 8h00 so that's 16 hours. If you stop earlier or leave later you are going to need solar so my set up is the PWM charger and a 130w solid solar panel which keeps my fridge running and my battery charged as long as there's sunshine (all in for less than R2k). I don't have experience with the solenoid system but I do know that this has worked for years so perhaps you should rather invest in a larger battery and a solar set up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Yip this one. Nice Bluetooth app you can use to manage your battery.

But you would have to get yourself a 102 ah Hi Cycle auxiliary batt do be comfortable. Some may say a Lithium Iron batt, yes if you can afford it..

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Just please note that it is not the DC / DC Converter that you need but the DC/DC CHARGER, and specifically the ISOLATED model.

These are two different things, as a converter is just what the name suggest, to convert the voltage from e.g. 12 to 24v.

In above discussions references. / links are made to dc converters which are cheaper than equivalent dc chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thilo View Post
    Just please note that it is not the DC / DC Converter that you need but the DC/DC CHARGER, and specifically the ISOLATED model.

These are two different things, as a converter is just what the name suggest, to convert the voltage from e.g. 12 to 24v.

In above discussions references. / links are made to dc converters which are cheaper than equivalent dc chargers.
    Actually the Victron is both a charger and a power supply, you can set it on the app.

Actually the Victron is both a charger and a power supply, you can set it on the app.
    Post #12 does warn correctly as the converter has a fixed output of 12/24/48V. The charger is adjustable via the APP. This shows the models of converters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210302_002904.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	607875

Do I have this correctly -

Theoretically - for a full set up-

1. Charger to charge battery from shore power / mains
    2. DC to DC charger for alternator to aux battery
    3. Battery Monitor 712 or shunt?
    4. MPPT

Would this be what one looks at?

I am truly not keen on having to rely on an app - may I assume that I can get around that with the battery monitor 712 rather than the smart shunt?

And will this system be fully Lithium compatible - say with a 218ah Blue Nova?

This is also assuming someone is interested in buying my kidney.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 04.00.18.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	710.3 KB 
ID:	607876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 03.44.22.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	607877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 03.52.05.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	607878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 03.55.17.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	694.4 KB 
ID:	607879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 03.49.17.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	607880  
    ZS1ETphonehome

This one

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...dc-dc-charger/

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Dont think you need a smart shunt, but you will need a baterry protector if your fridge does not have it built in.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

I was wondering about that. Will have to check REs site again to make sure I get the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Post #12 does warn correctly as the converter has a fixed output of 12/24/48V. The charger is adjustable via the APP. This shows the models of converters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210302_002904.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	607875
    Ah yes the link the OP posted is indeed a converter only while the Orion TR Smart is a charger and converter.

Hi, please check the classifieds under vehicle asseccories, I have a Ctek d250SA available, if you are interested, make me an offer

Jaco 082*332*9455

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast