Thread: Old beer mugs

Default Old beer mugs

Quite appropriate that I can post this in the "pub" section.

My gran gave me a box of my grandfather's old bar stuff. Couple bottles of old scotch, some crystal glasses and some interesting mugs. He passed away 30 years ago, so it's all pretty old.

There are three interesting mugs which I want to try get more info on. I would appreciate it if you could share some light on the type of mugs, trends in the era etc. We're these common in the appropriate era?

Mug 1
    I think ceramic? Dated 1819.

Mug 2
    Silver (I think).
    Engraved with my grandfather's name and dob. To prove being "of drinking age"?

Mug 3
    Copper mug.
    Name engraved on bottom. No idea who it belonged to.

Appreciate the input.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigm For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Old beer mugs

It was common in the UK to give either a baby a small silver tankard with DOB or when a male reached the age of majority, which, given the size of the one with your Grandads name on, was probably the case.

The dated one with a lid is a typical German or probably Bavarian beer stein. The dat could either commemorate the year of manufacture or an event, possibly depicted on the sides.

The other you can search beer tankard Hallmarks. You might be lucky and the records are available on the web. A Silversmith would apply for and register a Hallmark so it likely that this info will be available. It was a guarantee of material and craftsmanship.

Cheers
    Last edited by Estee; 2021/02/28 at 08:15 PM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Mug 1: Google - Beer Stein 1819 marzi remy - which was the style of beer mug. You should find enough information along those lines.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

Apologies for the late response, been a little hecticv on my side.

Thanks very much for the info guys. I will do as proposed. Really appreciate your input.