Default Converting a Go Kart trailer into a camping trailer

I bought a specially designed Go Kart trailer with the intention to convert it into a camping trailer. With a growing family the double cab with hard shell RTT no longer suffices.

I am not keen on heavy trailers and have no intention to go 4x4 ing with the trailer. We will do heavy corrugated dirt roads though and minor off roading.

In 2003 we did a three week trip to Pemba in northern Mozambique on a mission trip towing a light luggage trailer. I was impressed with how well the trailer handled it. On arrival in Pemba, the driver took it to her brother in law who turned the axle 180 degrees. He explained that the thinner, lighter axles just tended to bend while the thicker, heavier ones break. I have towed many types of trailers over the years and prefer lighter, smaller trailers. I am not keen on a lid that open to the top with the RTT on top so kept looking at luggage type trailer with doors at the back and on the side. And then this trailer popped up on Gumtree.

It has a Tare of 200 kg. The square box is 1,7 x 1,2 x 1,27m. The bottom of the box extends another 0,57m with the top part meshed in creating a triangular compartment in front of the box. The total height is 1,57m. I like the doors on the sides, the storage compartments in the front of the trailer and the way that the sides drop down to form counter spaces. I am going to mount the hard shell RTT on top.

Open to ideas and input to make it into a neat little camping trailer. We like to keep things basic so I won't put a battery system, plug point etc in the trailer. The bakkie is all set up with that. We are also beginning to visit more mainstream places and staying in one spot for longer. Kayaks, surf boards etc will go on top of the RTT and the bakkie while bicycles and smaller toys will go inside the trailer.

- Am toying with the idea of fitting a storage space at the top of the inside of the trailer for a quality mattress and making a bed inside at the bottom or midway where the ramps for the Go Kart is now.

- Fitting 316 stainless to the counter tops that drop down to the sides.

Does anybody have anything similar that they camp with or good ideas for this one?

Sorry that there is no photo showing the complete trailer. The trailer is in JHB and I am in Cape Town. Will add one when I get a photo.

Thanks,

Ian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch side view.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	607201

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 9.26.05 PM (3).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	607196

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 9.26.05 PM (8).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	607197

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 9.26.05 PM (11).jpg 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	607198

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 9.26.05 PM (15).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	607199

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-19 at 9.26.05 PM (20).jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	607200
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Converting a Go Kart trailer into a camping trailer

You seem to have a good base to start your project off with.
    My only comment at this point is think carefully before you use stainless steel plate anywhere in your build. Even the thin gauge stuff is heavy and covering the inside of those doors with S/Steel will add weight that could be useful in other places.
    I have made a shelf/table that attaches to the side of me Xplorer with an aluminium top that works very well and is quite light. Rather look for a good marine grade aluminium for that application. The aircraft and marine grades of aluminium are harder than the normal soft commercial grade aluminium and you don't get the black deposit coming off the surface all the time. Aircraft grades like 2025 and 7076 are very expensive but a good aluminium supplier will be able to advise you on whet to use.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Converting a Go Kart trailer into a camping trailer

Here is some proper photos of the trailer from the outside.

The main box is 1700 x 1200 x 1200 and the total height is 1600 mm.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 9.13.52 AM.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	607549

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 9.13.53 AM (1).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	607550

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 9.13.54 AM.jpg