Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    61
    Posts
    457
    Thanked: 64

    Default Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    I have been playing with the idea of adding a filtration system to my camping setup ... caravan with tank ... to manage water issues when on a trip, and now also have the need to set up one in my new kitchen at home.

    So, confusion is about stages required for either, with pressure tank or without, and what about booster pump? Plus there is sooooo many suppliers out there... just on Takelot you are bombarded with multiple offerings, and prices vary considerably.
    '20 Ford Ranger XLT, Bushtec Canopy
    '18 Compass offroad Caravan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lenasia
    Age
    45
    Posts
    202
    Thanked: 166

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    3 weeks ago I purchased a 5 stage wildberry RO system from take-a-lot. Easy to install and is working perfectly.
    2013 Infiniti QX70 3.0D S Premium
    2012 Lexus GS 350
    1998 BMW Z3

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ismail-VWTiguan For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    531
    Thanked: 2040

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    I have the same thing on the drawing board for camping and I am guided by this guy in terms of my thinking getting a 12v UV light might be the challenge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGO_yNmVKM&t=13s

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    61
    Posts
    457
    Thanked: 64

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I have the same thing on the drawing board for camping and I am guided by this guy in terms of my thinking getting a 12v UV light might be the challenge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGO_yNmVKM&t=13s
    What interesting here is the limited filtering? What happened to 5-stage filters?
    '20 Ford Ranger XLT, Bushtec Canopy
    '18 Compass offroad Caravan

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    531
    Thanked: 2040

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oupoot View Post
    What interesting here is the limited filtering? What happened to 5-stage filters?
    The issue in an urban setting is chemical and heavy metal contamination which is usually why you would need five stages, although I personally think this is a bit of overkill, but then again I paddle in the murky waters of the Umsinduzi and Umgeni rivers so maybe you can ignore my sentiments here . The assumption in a rural setting is that you are faced with a biological threat and the UV will deal with this, a single stage filtration might not be sufficient but then you simply run the water through multiple times until you are satisfied with the clarity after all you are only dealing with 50-200l. As an overlander with no trailer or caravan I would find a 5 stage filter far too bulky and impractical particularly if it requires a 230v power supply.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    531
    Thanked: 2040

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    An interesting option a R650, 800ml per minute and 30 000 in total https://water-genie.co.za/

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,480
    Thanked: 1073

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Something to note with RO systems or the one we have installed in the house anyway, is that it wastes water, this might be a problem in a overlanding application if you have limited water.

    The Little Luxury systems was discussed here on the forum before, they have different options, if I remember a 3, 4 and 5 stage and they are advertised specifically for travel if I remember.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    746
    Thanked: 423

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Something to note with RO systems or the one we have installed in the house anyway, is that it wastes water, this might be a problem in a overlanding application if you have limited water.

    The Little Luxury systems was discussed here on the forum before, they have different options, if I remember a 3, 4 and 5 stage and they are advertised specifically for travel if I remember.
    Jip, RO wastes 4 to 1... uses 4 litres to make 1 litre, plus removes almost all minerals, even the good ones from the water apparently.

    What you want is Nano Filter as the main element... 1 to 1.
    Last edited by Grumbles; 2021/03/03 at 08:19 PM.
    2021 Hilux Raider 2.8 GD-6 4x4 D/C Auto "​Luxy"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!



  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Simons Town
    Posts
    672
    Thanked: 1083

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Our RO system is 2 to 1...water is for hydration and your food intake should supply you with the relevant minerals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
    Jip, RO wastes 4 to 1... uses 4 litres to make 1 litre, plus removes almost all minerals, even the good ones from the water apparently.

    What you want is Nano Filter as the main element... 1 to 1.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    55
    Posts
    973
    Thanked: 707

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    An interesting option a R650, 800ml per minute and 30 000 in total https://water-genie.co.za/
    Thanks for sharing.

    Also https://www.o3water.co.za/thirst-aid-kit.html




    .
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2021/03/04 at 08:13 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,480
    Thanked: 1073

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Our RO system is 2 to 1...water is for hydration and your food intake should supply you with the relevant minerals.



    Agree with you but let me open a can of worms here.
    How many minerals do we really get in our food these days and is it really enough?
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,849
    Thanked: 2393

    Default Re: Water filtration... setup for house vs camping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Our RO system is 2 to 1...water is for hydration and your food intake should supply you with the relevant minerals.
    Yip, but they claim RO water leaches minerals from your body. But I would prefer RO water than none, or dirty water.

    I kept things simple in my camper - did not want complicated filtration systems which can go wrong. So I have 2 x 9" cartridge filters in line, a 10 micron followed by a 0.1 micron (could be 0.2?). The water is pumped through these before reaching the tanks - I don't believe in carting around unfiltered water. If the water is suspect, as in pumped from a dam or river, I add Miltons to nuke the bacteria.

    Then I have another 9" carbon filter in the kitchen to remove bad tastes for cooking and drinking water.
    Mike Lauterbach

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •