Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tip - printers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,325
    Thanked: 4613

    Default Tip - printers

    We have 2 Samsung lazer printers. Oldest was bought around 2012 and the other somewhat later. We use aftermarket toners. The older one started to reject aftermarket toners "Not compatible". I later tried the same in the other printer - works. In the mean time SWAMBO did buy one original and it worked.

    Solution was simple and cheap. Toner has a chip and the printer has a set of pins connecting to the cartridge connection points. Pres the pins few times in by hand and no complains. Basically bad connection inside mechanical pins.

    After market stuff is far cheaper and the quality is the same. We have saved thousands (SWAMBO prints - accounts) No other issues excluding those pins.

    This may not work on other makes but look for similar issue if a unit is rejected.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 495

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    In the short term it's cheaper yes.

    But using non genuine toner will damage your printer in the long run.
    And if using a non genuine toner cartridge in your printer and it's damaged, you will void any warranty you might have.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/02/25 at 08:54 AM.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,690
    Thanked: 736

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Much of what you're saying is correct, but I can assure you that the quality of the toner is not the same. While the print quality may look the same, generic toners will almost always have an effect on the internals of the machine, and fuser and drum drum yields will be reduced.

    On some machines your component yields can reduce to 30% of their designed lifespan.

    Good generics can minimise these losses, and we have a german generic that we use that averages the losses to around 10%. It's very model dependant though, and some models respond well to generics and others don't tolerate them at all.

    Generally on a machine that is printing volumes much lower than it is designed for, the component loss due to generics isn't noticeable, and most often the cost saving achieved by using generics way exceeds the loss due to having to replace components earlier.

    In a nutshell, you get good generics and you get bad generics.
    Andrew Beuster

    Amarok milk bottle


    "So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    276
    Thanked: 23

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Interesting. On small printers, can the savings on toner not justify the reduced lifetime?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,325
    Thanked: 4613

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    We have used generic on all of our printers and plotters. The cost of ink and toner plus image units far exceed the cost of the printer. If a lazer printer has lasted at least 8 years, is on its 3rd image unit, which have lasted expected life, I do not complain. If it breaks I buy new. Original toner over R800 and after market R200 to R300. Similar case with image units.

    Warranty periods are short. Generally printers come with a small volume ink or toner. Normally we buy one original if the printer is still under warranty. I have A3 Toshiba lazer. I bought it around 2007. Seller said that I cannot connect it to a network and it has BIG toner. It is on the network and it has the original toner. My A1 plotter has ink. When in use I have used after market ink. Ink is in touch with a separate cheap head. I have spare head. HP plotter. All new HP plotters have chips. That old plotter is like gold.

    At least for home office printers and plotters I will keep buying aftermarket. One of the HP original owners said: "Lets give printers free and sell the ink." This crooked policy was broken by one manufacturer who is selling inkjets with big bottles. Printer is more expensive but the ink is cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    In the short term it's cheaper yes.

    But using non genuine toner will damage your printer in the long run.
    And if using a non genuine toner cartridge in your printer and it's damaged, you will void any warranty you might have.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,690
    Thanked: 736

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanHaarhoff View Post
    Interesting. On small printers, can the savings on toner not justify the reduced lifetime?
    Generally with small printers, the printers are very cheap, but you pay big money for the toners. In these instances a generic toner makes far more sense from a cost saving perspective.

    Here's some numbers for interest sake:

    A 40 page per minute A4 mono office multifunction print / copy / scan device costs around R13k.
    Cost per page assuming 5% coverage using original toners is 23c.
    Cost per page with generic toner is 10c.
    Machine life is 200 000 pages, after which a maintenance kit is installed at R3,5k to give a further 200 000 pages.

    You can buy a "similar" machine off the shelf for R3k, but your cost per page with original toners would be way in excess of R1 per page, and with generics significantly cheaper.

    Essentially it's all about buying the right machine for the right application. Print speeds and print volumes are what determine the right machine.

    On lower end and mid level machines (up to 50 pages per minute, A3 mono) we support the use of quality generics. Any higher spec machine we don't bring in generics and will only supply originals. As the spec of the machine increases, the cost per copy with original toners decreases anyway, so there is less inclination to risk using generics.
    Andrew Beuster

    Amarok milk bottle


    "So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 495

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    We have used generic on all of our printers and plotters. The cost of ink and toner plus image units far exceed the cost of the printer. If a lazer printer has lasted at least 8 years, is on its 3rd image unit, which have lasted expected life, I do not complain. If it breaks I buy new. Original toner over R800 and after market R200 to R300. Similar case with image units.

    Warranty periods are short. Generally printers come with a small volume ink or toner. Normally we buy one original if the printer is still under warranty. I have A3 Toshiba lazer. I bought it around 2007. Seller said that I cannot connect it to a network and it has BIG toner. It is on the network and it has the original toner. My A1 plotter has ink. When in use I have used after market ink. Ink is in touch with a separate cheap head. I have spare head. HP plotter. All new HP plotters have chips. That old plotter is like gold.

    At least for home office printers and plotters I will keep buying aftermarket. One of the HP original owners said: "Lets give printers free and sell the ink." This crooked policy was broken by one manufacturer who is selling inkjets with big bottles. Printer is more expensive but the ink is cheaper.
    Ditch printers as far as you can and go digital. Save even more on ink.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Honeydew
    Age
    54
    Posts
    102
    Thanked: 105

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    In the short term it's cheaper yes.

    But using non genuine toner will damage your printer in the long run.
    I have been reselling compatible toner cartridges for the past 20 years using various suppliers and have never had a printer that was damaged.
    I use compatible toners in my own printers.
    Compatible ink cartridges are a different story. If they leak then there is a major problem.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,690
    Thanked: 736

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I have been reselling compatible toner cartridges for the past 20 years using various suppliers and have never had a printer that was damaged.
    I use compatible toners in my own printers.
    Compatible ink cartridges are a different story. If they leak then there is a major problem.
    We import multifunction machines and distribute through a national dealer network.(Thousands of machines pass through our warehouse to our dealers every year) Our direct sales operation has approximately 600 machines that it services currently.

    I can assure you that we regularly see drums and fusers and failing, and because of the volumes that we work with, the patterns soon emerge. On a particular model there will be a particular brand of toner that is the common denominator in that pattern. It varies across the models and across the brands, so it's not a dig at any one particular generic.

    It is an industry accepted concept that a machine run on compatibles will not give you the same yield on components that the originals will. That doesn't mean that it's not more cost effective to use compatibles on many machines, you just need to be aware of when to use them and when not to.

    For the record, although we are the OEM importer and subsequently also bring in the OEM toners, we also bring in a range of compatibles that we actively market for our machines. Just not all of our machines.
    Andrew Beuster

    Amarok milk bottle


    "So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,325
    Thanked: 4613

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Ditch printers as far as you can and go digital. Save even more on ink.
    I have cut down printing drastically. My stuff is digital. Years back I had to print more. My short term memory is not good. Taking value from calculation to modelling was a problem if I had to switch program on one screen. After having 2 computers or now two screens no more printing. Big saving. SWAMBO prints for the accounts. I print for the final checking reports that I have to sign. Checking on screen only works upto a point.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fish Hoek
    Age
    46
    Posts
    335
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Tip - printers

    Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I have been reselling compatible toner cartridges for the past 20 years using various suppliers and have never had a printer that was damaged.I use compatible toners in my own printers.Compatible ink cartridges are a different story. If they leak then there is a major problem.
    +1 we have x 4 HP1020 printers in my business, they are pretty old 15 years+. Been using the cheapest cartridges I can find on Takealot and never had any issues.
    2002 Hilux 2700i(facelift) 4x4 DC
    1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX(4x2)
    1985 Suzuki DR600S
    1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •