Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rooftop Tent advice

Hi there

New to the forum.
    My wife and i want to start touring Southern Africa and i am in the market for a rooftop tent.
    I have a 2015 Toyota D/C Toyota Hilux 3 D4D with cattle rails on the back.
    Ideally i don't want to fit the tent to the cab but want to fit it to the cattle rails and open it up to the side or back. Is this possible?
    I want a tent that is quick and easy to pitch, and light enough that 2 people can easily remove it from the bakkie to store.
    Only 2 people will use the tent at a time so i was thinking the smaller it is the better. Thoughts on this?
    I am considering a hard top tent
    What tents on the market is the best value for your money?
    Where is the best place to look for 2nd hand Rooftop Tents

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4D.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	607290
    Last edited by CastAway; 2021/02/24 at 05:59 PM.

Default Re: Rooftop Tent advice

Wamkelekile

Sjoe how long is a piece of string You can do a search on the forum - there are a lot of threads on the topic of RTTs (rooftop tents), but I do think those threads might make more sense to you once you have physically seen some RTTs in real life. I think there is a 4x4 Megaworld in Somerset West. Ask them to show you the canvass type RTT (that flips open and has a soft cover), as well as a clam shell (their own brand / Alu Cab) Find a place that sells Bundutop and have a look at those too (not my choice though). Once you know what they look like - and cost - it will be easier to browse for different types of soft RTTs, clams or Bundu style ones.
    Second hand hard shells are scares. I have a clam shell (coffin )- and swear by it.
    ZS1ETphonehome

Search the junkmail and gum tree for second hand flip tents with soft tops. New they cost an arm and a leg. Then make rails that fit across your rails and mount on that. Had mine on top of land cruiser when I worked away from home. Was good for 2 people to sleep in.

Check perhaps with Peter Wilson zero83 556 five15three
    Based in Plett if I am not mistaken - he has / had a Hannibal Impi available over the weekend for R 9k.

You can mention that Martin from LCCSA referred his ad.

Good luck with the hunting - sure you will have your ideal set-up in no time.
    Martin Pienaar

Quote Originally Posted by CastAway View Post
    Hi there

..... fit it to the cattle rails and open it up to the side or back. Is this possible?

Hard top is not going to work. They are in the region of 2m long so opening to the side and hard-shell do not go together. Fitting normal RTT on the cattle rails would be no problem but I do not get cattle rails....rather fit a half height cattle rail type so that your RTT is lower or same height as your vehicle roof
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

My preferance for a bakkie like yours would be a canvas RTT flipping open to the passenger or drivers side and mounted on the cab.
    This way the rear loading bay does not loose it's functionality and the vehicle can still be used as a "bakkie", even with the RTT on.

If you fit something like an Alucab at the back, then consider other tent options and different mountings.
    I have the Hannibal tent (1.4 m wide) and am happy with my setup.

and light enough that 2 people can easily remove it from the bakkie to store.
    This is always an issue with a rooftent. The majority of them are heavy, and awkward to lift or remove. Ive had to develop some clever techniques (and muscles) to get my tent on and off by myself. Its just impossible for my wife to try and assist.

If it is only you and your wife, maybe have a look at FrontRunner's Featherlight tent, apparently the lightest of the tents.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

If you have a roof available - Fredlin Hoist is the best since sliced ....

http://www.fredlin.co.za/Our-Product...Rooftop-tents/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Many possibilities.

Easiest fitment and tent cost will be a normal "fold-style" (Eezi-awn, echo, tentco)mounted on crossbars on your existing rails. These tents are more available 2cnd hand and still good quality

With the fold-style you have 2 options.

Crossbars on top of the rails:
    • Can open to either side or the back
    • More storage space underneath
    • More wind resistance = highr fuel economy

Crossbars one rail from the top:
    • Only opens to the back of the bakkie
    • Less storage underneath, but you don't lose much
    • Less wind resistance as the top of the tent is closer to the height of the roof

On the clamshell/hardtop tents, fitment is more intricate as the tent will protrude over the cab because of the length of the tent itself. You also have to have enough height so the tent and the cab does not connect and damage one or the other on rough roads

Hope this helps

11. The Following User Says Thank You to coetzer94 For This Useful Post:

Did a trip to Botswana end 2018 like the pictures below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	607388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	607389  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to coetzer94 For This Useful Post:

I have a secondhand Impi for sale - R 9000.00 - I am sure you could fit it onto the canopy.
    SMS me your number and I will send you some pics.

If you are new to 4x4 things think 10 times what to buy. Roof top has benefits, off road trailer has benefits, 4x4 caravan has benefits, road van has benefits, road van with roof top on vehicle has benefits... Make sure what you want and make sure SWAMBO agrees. If not it will be one trip, many fights and never again.

Roof top is handy if you go to bush. No towing. Useless if you camp in caravan parks. Is SWAMBO prepared to get up to the tent - ladders? Pack up every time she needs milk? Is she happy to dress up in open? With Trailer you still have to get up but you have privacy and you do not need to pack for the milk. 4x4 caravans tend to be heavy and expensive but no ladders... If it is windy or rain where do you shelter?

To go around for longer time I would take 2nd hand road van plus either ground tent or roof tent. Park the van and relax. To go to bush ask the camp to keep the van and use the tent.

Considering the age of OP, possibly new to camping I would buy second had 4x4 trailer or even better rent one for one trip of one week minimum. 4x4 trailer is something between. It gives fair idea.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

I have an Iron Man roof top tent, sides etc whole package.. has been used once and we now have a little one. Was unexpected, so im looking at a different by set up now.in JHb area if you would like to have a look

Hi there

New to the forum.
    My wife and i want to start touring Southern Africa and i am in the market for a rooftop tent.
    Ideally i don't want to fit the tent to the cab but want to fit it to the cattle rails and open it up to the side or back. Is this possible?
    I want a tent that is quick and easy to pitch, and light enough that 2 people can easily remove it from the bakkie to store.
    Only 2 people will use the tent at a time so i was thinking the smaller it is the better. Thoughts on this?

2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID 4x4 DC (sold )

Hi there

New to the forum.

Mudpie Gear have an amazing Clamshell Hard Top Roof Top Tent....

Name:	Hardtop5.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	607701

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	607702

Name:	IMG_3612.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	427.1 KB 
ID:	607703

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	460.4 KB 
ID:	607704
    www.mudpiegear.co.za or 021 9453938
    They make soft tops as well !

Hi there

New to the forum.

Eazy Awn Stealth gaan loer op hulle web puik hard top tent

I have a Fredlin Hoist type rig hanging in my garage, which I used for years to lift my Wild Earth Hardshell tent off solo, and store it hard up against the roof trusses. I have a camper now, so the hoist is surplus.
    I haven't thought about a price yet, but I am in Somerset West, so you can come and have a look at it if you wish.

You have to consider that All the hardshell tents are much heavier than the soft shell tents.

The soft shell Eezi Awn tent that we have is around 45 / 50 kg it is also a much thicker canvas fabric that of the new ones.
    Lifting it onto the roofrack is an issue for the two of us so we do a few things to make it easier.
    After we lowered it from the garage roof where it is suspended on a Fredlin hoist we take the cover off and open the tent on the garage floor.
    While it is getting some fresh air we remove the mattress so that we can fit a fresh matress cover.
    We then close it without the matress and remove the ladder that is on top. I made the ladder fully removable.
    Now with out the top protective cover, matress and the ladder it is a lot lighter and much easier to lift onto the rack.
    With out the matress or the ladder it is also a lot easier to reach inside to secure it to the roof rack.
    Once secure we slide the ladder back on top, open the tent, slide in the matress and bedding, zip all the covers up and fold it so that we can put the protective cover back on.
    We fit it so that it opens towards the back of our vehicle over the back door, it provides shade over the fridge when there are no trees around and offers a bit of rain protection while the car door is open.
    It was for this reason that the ladder was redesigned a little.
    We did not go the new tent route because considering all things camping with the rooftop tent was only required once or twice a year to suit specific trips.
    We also have a Echo 4 off road trailer and ground tents which allowed us to select our camping equipment to suit the trip conditions.

We have just come back from the Kalaghadi and on the way back we decided to sell the Roof TT and the Echo 4 because we would like to do longer overland trips without it.
    It is currently advertised on Gumtree
    You are welcome to call me if would like more information about this type of tent or if you are interested in it.

I have a Howling Moon 1.2m tent fitted on to the cab of my Triton using Frontrunner Load Bars (Fitted by Safari Centre in Goodwood). This is the smallest Howling Moon RTT you get, and yet it is still too heavy and awkward to lift off and on with 2 people.

I have a Fredlin Hoist fitted to my carport, and this makes it easy for me alone to fit and remove the tent when I go camping. It takes me all of 5 minutes to lower the tent onto the loadbars and tighten the nuts/bolts.

I suggest maybe doing the same if you're keen on a RTT and don't want to leave it permanently fitted (Provided you have a carport or garage).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1870.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	608037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1872.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	608038  
    2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2Di-D 4x4
    Burnco bumper, rock sliders
    MitsuCare Bashplate
    Rear air-suspension
    Frontrunner Loadbars
    Howling Moon RTT
    NL Dual Battery Kit

Default Re: Rooftop Tent advice Contact me, I have a rooftop which I do not use any more, I a

Hi there

New to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast