Thread: Nxai pans

Default Nxai pans

Hi

Would like some advice from the experienced.

Planning a trip to Botswana and Nxai pans is one of the intended stops and would like to know which is the better camp from the available options.

Secondly if you had to choose between Nxai pans and Central Kalahari which would be your preference.

Appreciate

Default Re: Nxai pans

I've only been to Nxai pan. I'd give my left $#%& to go back.

There was only South Camp when we were there, with North Camp abandoned (+- 10 years ago). South Camp was 4 camp sites only IIRC.

Beautiful place. Hope you have an awesome trip.

NB: the +- 40km sand road to Nxai takes much longer to travel than one might imagine. Plan accordingly.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

I am following this thread. We hope to do our 2020 Botswana trip this year (2021) and I want to stop over at Nxai Pan as well
    Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Imagine Comfortvan

Thanks Stuart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredp For This Useful Post:

I don't think one should choose. CKGR and Nxai pans are not comparable. They are not the same type of experience and each has an allure of their own making each worth a visit.

Time of year might play a role in choosing between the 2 of them for a single trip, but I would try to include both in one trip if you have enough time on your hands. With the bulk of the time spend in the CKGR and 3-4 nights in Nxai pan.

The only camp in Nxai pan is South camp and there are 10 sites. At Baines baobabs there are 3 (or maybe 4) sites with no facilities.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/02/26 at 10:23 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Between Baines and South camps I would take South Camp. One can very easily view the baobabs on the way in or out as you virtually go right past them. Yes one loses the sunrise / sunset over the baobabs but if you need to make sacrifices this isn't the worst one to make.

Between Nxai Pan and CKGR I would prefer to spend my time in CKGR. The purists will probably have my all terrains for this comment but I found Nxai Pan to be a bit one dimensional. The time of year we were there certainly played a role but for me the CKGR is simply in a class of its own.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Between Baines and South camps I would take South Camp. One can very easily view the baobabs on the way in or out as you virtually go right past them. Yes one loses the sunrise / sunset over the baobabs but if you need to make sacrifices this isn't the worst one to make.

Between Nxai Pan and CKGR I would prefer to spend my time in CKGR. The purists will probably have my all terrains for this comment but I found Nxai Pan to be a bit one dimensional. The time of year we were there certainly played a role but for me the CKGR is simply in a class of its own.
    In total agreement.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

The last time I was at Nxai Pan the overhanging thorn bushes on one of the internal roads destroyed the paintwork on my vehicle.
    Not sure if these roads have improved.
    Beautiful area.