Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: My new lathe - Need some advise please?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    congrats on your purchase SinWolf, that is a very nice lathe.

Never use grease in the chuck, ever.. Strip it if you want to, they are not complex affairs, give it a good cleaning and then a light oil on the moving parts, not too much as as with Plungerís statement, too much stuff eventually builds into a grinding paste.

I am rather anal about cleaning my machines, probably to my detriment, but I work better that way, so the chucks I have often get stripped for a deep cleaning, in fact my 3 jaw is starting to bind a little, so here we go again...

If I may suggest next on your list is a quick change toolpost which you can purchase from Adendorff which includes 4 lathe cutting tool holders, and if you need more, which you eventually will, you can purchase the individual holders from banggood.com..
    Marco I dont think you have enough tool holders. Thats a nice option to be able to buy cheap holders.
    The dickson type tool holders I have are very expensive. Like R1600 each so its important to choose wisely.
    Looks like you have a dro on your tailstock. Cant quite make the picture out.

congrats on your purchase SinWolf, that is a very nice lathe.

Never use grease in the chuck, ever.. Strip it if you want to, they are not complex affairs, give it a good cleaning and then a light oil on the moving parts, not too much as as with Plungerís statement, too much stuff eventually builds into a grinding paste.

I am rather anal about cleaning my machines, probably to my detriment, but I work better that way, so the chucks I have often get stripped for a deep cleaning, in fact my 3 jaw is starting to bind a little, so here we go again...

If I may suggest next on your list is a quick change toolpost which you can purchase from Adendorff which includes 4 lathe cutting tool holders, and if you need more, which you eventually will, you can purchase the individual holders from banggood.com..

This upsets me every time I see it
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    This upsets me every time I see it
    What lathe did you land up getting.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    What lathe did you land up getting.
    Took over the one from Woolf, the Myford ML7.
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

Marco I dont think you have enough tool holders. Thats a nice option to be able to buy cheap holders.
    The dickson type tool holders I have are very expensive. Like R1600 each so its important to choose wisely.
    Looks like you have a dro on your tailstock. Cant quite make the picture out.
    Yep, but the Dickson type are worth every penny, I just truly cannot afford that high end, nor can the poor quality of my work justify that..

Some time back I made a new tailstock quill as the original had a ton of slop, also wanted MT3 taper as all my milling fixtures are MT3 and I thought that would be good for interchangeability, pretty pointless, but it is what it is.. Since I had no means to engrave measurement markings on the new quill it was easier and cheaper to employ the use of an old digital caliper, not exactly accurate, but works just fine for my needs..

And, yes, contrary to my previous statement, the tailstock is filthy....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2021/02/25 at 08:07 AM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:

Yep, but the Dickson type are worth every penny, I just truly cannot afford that high end, nor can the poor quality of my work justify that..

Some time back I made a new tailstock quill as the original had a ton of slop, also wanted MT3 taper as all my milling fixtures are MT3 and I thought that would be good for interchangeability, pretty pointless, but it is what it is.. Since I had no means to engrave measurement markings on the new quill it was easier and cheaper to employ the use of an old digital caliper, not exactly accurate, but works just fine for my needs..

And, yes, contrary to my previous statement, the tailstock is filthy....
    I need to make a quill for a southbend but have been procrastinating as its a bit of a daunting task. What material did you use . Theres so much taper in my lathe it would be hard to hit the quill dead nuts on. Thats nice your tailstock.

Thanks everyone for the advise!
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

I need to make a quill for a southbend but have been procrastinating as its a bit of a daunting task. What material did you use . Theres so much taper in my lathe it would be hard to hit the quill dead nuts on. Thats nice your tailstock.
    Plunger it was some time back so I honestly cannot remember, I think it might well have been EN8.

Truthfully its not perfect by a long shot, but much better than the original.. I turned the quill between centers first slowly adjusting the tailstock until I had no taper, but in truth I now have gotten to the stage of wanting to redo the exercise, first by line boring the tailstock housing, and then manufacture another quill, but the line bore thing has me sweaty with anxiety..
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

I recently got my first lathe (a 1980's Taiwanese clone), and despite trying to hammer into my brain to not leave the key in the chuck...

This was my first "upgrade" to the lathe (but I see your lathe has the chuck cover which I think acts as a safety switch to ensure the key is not left in the chuck):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210225_081021.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	607356

@Marcochezzi, awesome idea with the old vernier caliper!
    Last edited by kevin4x4; 2021/02/25 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin4x4 View Post

@Marcochezzi, awesome idea with the old vernier caliper!
    Thank you, but I cannot take ownership of the idea, stole it off youtube...
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

Quote Originally Posted by kevin4x4 View Post
    I recent got my first lathe (a 1980's Taiwanese clone), and despite trying to hammer into my brain to not leave the key in the chuck...

This was my first "upgrade" to the lathe (but I see your lathe has the chuck cover which I think acts as a safety switch to ensure the key is not left in the chuck):

I'm sure my chuck cover will be one of the first things to go

I need to re-do the wiring anyway (well the terminations that is), as it is a 3-phase machine and I need to install a VFD. Then I can just disconnect the chuck cover micro switch...

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

SinWolf is the lathe leadscrew metric or imperial?
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

Marco, what size toolpost holder do you have?
    I have the 12mm one from Adendorff and would like to buy some extra toolholders.
    Please can you share where you bought them from.

Thanks

Nice lathe Sinwolf, congrats. I wouldn't sweat the gearbox oil too much - heat and contamination are what break down lube oil. If it's clean and never been overheated it should be just fine despite having been there for a few years. Light oil in the chuck. I use the Spindle oil from Adendorff to lube my lathe and mill, seems to work just fine.

Quick change toolpost is pretty much essential if you are doing some serious work on the lathe.

For quills, EN8 is good and you can get it nitrided if you need it hardened - should not be necessary.
    Jeep Cherokee 2006 KJ CRD
    2" OME Lift

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    Marco, what size toolpost holder do you have?
    I have the 12mm one from Adendorff and would like to buy some extra toolholders.
    Please can you share where you bought them from.

Thanks
    Woolf I think its 16mm, I'll confirm a little later with pics for you, all purchases through Banggood, its exactly what Adendorff sells, I will send you a link image as well for your holders, please bear with me, busy billing + year end...
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:

Please do not remove the chuck cover, you will need it when using coolant. As for cleaning a chuck just wind out the jaws, clean them with a tooth brush and paraffin then do the same by winding the scroll and applying the brush.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alansut For This Useful Post:

SinWolf is the lathe leadscrew metric or imperial?
    To be honest, I do not have a clue... But there is a lot of threading options...

One thing that is a first for me... The thread dial indicator... All sources I have read on the internet recons that this is to be used for IMPERIAL threading only... For metric, you have to keep half nut engaged. This lathe is the first lathe I've seen where the dial indicator is actually used for METRIC threads... The dial indicator even comes with 2 additional "change gears"...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

Just some more pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121504.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	607364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121508.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	607365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121513.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	607366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121516.jpg 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	607367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121519.jpg 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	607368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121522.jpg 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	607369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121532.jpg 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	607370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121536.jpg 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	607371  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121611.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	607372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121616.jpg 
Size:	377.6 KB 
ID:	607373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121732.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	607374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210208_121627.jpg 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	607375  

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    To be honest, I do not have a clue... But there is a lot of threading options...

One thing that is a first for me... The thread dial indicator... All sources I have read on the internet recons that this is to be used for IMPERIAL threading only... For metric, you have to keep half nut engaged. This lathe is the first lathe I've seen where the dial indicator is actually used for METRIC threads... The dial indicator even comes with 2 additional "change gears"...
    If your lathe is imperial, then the above applies, if the lathe is metric, then the opposite applies, where the half nut can be disengaged for metric threading, but remains engaged for imperial..

So I am led to believe, mine is imperial, and I honestly wish I had a metric solution, because the functionality of engaging / disengaging the half nut when cutting threads is very practical, well for me anyway..

Either way, both imperial and metric threads are very doable, no stress..
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

With regards to the half nut disingagement. It doesnt matter if its imperial or metric but sometimes you just have to leave it engaged. Im dumb with maths and machining but on my lathe I dont think I can use the thread dial on imperial. But my lathe is metric so if you have a metric leadscrew of 6mm you can disengage the half nut on anything that can be divided by 6mm So take 6divided by 1,25mm it doesnt go so then you need to keep the half nut engaged otherwise you loose your thread sequence. i havent bothered to see what happens if I try using the thread dial because modt threads are less than 15mm and honestly its so quick to just put the lathe in reverse to travel 15mm its no skin off my back.

I have a thread dial but dont need it in reality.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast