DIY Canopy Kitchen Unit. What material? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: DIY Canopy Kitchen Unit. What material?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    party keer is dit maar beter om maar net te betaal en dit reg te laat doen. Dit is rede hoekom ek alu boks laat maak het.
    Ja jong, lyk my ek gaan maar 'n metaal werker moet nader om pryse te kry. Ek weier alhoewel om R6000-R10000 vir n brand name boksie te betaal as hy nie outomaties koffie gaan maak ook nie
    My speelding: 2012 VW Amarok 2.0 TDI
    Vrou se speelding: Astra OuPC

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepman85 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    Its time you expand your circle of friends
    My buurman is n metaalwerker, maar sou gelike het om self die projek te tackel. Ek weet darm nou my gedagte was n poef een.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepman85 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman85 View Post
    Unfortunately at the west coast of Namibia, this is not an option (that I've heard of)
    Oh bugger......

Ja jong, lyk my ek gaan maar 'n metaal werker moet nader om pryse te kry. Ek weier alhoewel om R6000-R10000 vir n brand name boksie te betaal as hy nie outomaties koffie gaan maak ook nie

kaal kombuis/utility boks. Ek het onder R1000 betaal vir die boks en insit. Ek het wel self die backing bord, mat en al die ander goed installeer. Alu 2mm dink ek. 450mm breed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210223_140152.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	607155

While aluminium would ideally be the best overall, I just don't possess the skills to make it work like it should
    You were prepared to do it in heavy wood other than the material wat has changed?

As I mentioned before alu checker plate works well with normal wood working tools. You will need a jigsaw, drill with a 5mm drill bit, pop riveter and a square. Materials you will need rivets(5mm), 1 sheet of alu and a while zoo of rivets with their washers as well as a tube of sika and a length of 25mm alu angle.
    Cut the alu sheet in to the panels you need and assemble with angle and rivets with a good smear of sika.

Bending the sides and top and bottom panels is first prize but if push comes to shove cutting the bend panels off and fixing with angle can also work. A rattle can of rustoleum will make it look professional. For increased strength you can use a 32mm angle and put it inside and out and space the rivets 100 - 150mm apart, stronger than any heavy timber and less than half the weight.

Do not be intimidated with aluminium it is a great medium to work with, granted it can be a devil to weld but there are ways to overcome that obstacle.

Jy moet bang maak nie bang word
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

kaal kombuis/utility boks. Ek het onder R1000 betaal vir die boks en insit. Ek het wel self die backing bord, mat en al die ander goed installeer. Alu 2mm dink ek. 450mm breed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210223_140152.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	607155
    Van waar? Lyk baie netjies!

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    You were prepared to do it in heavy wood other than the material wat has changed?

As I mentioned before alu checker plate works well with normal wood working tools. You will need a jigsaw, drill with a 5mm drill bit, pop riveter and a square. Materials you will need rivets(5mm), 1 sheet of alu and a while zoo of rivets with their washers as well as a tube of sika and a length of 25mm alu angle.
    Cut the alu sheet in to the panels you need and assemble with angle and rivets with a good smear of sika.

Bending the sides and top and bottom panels is first prize but if push comes to shove cutting the bend panels off and fixing with angle can also work. A rattle can of rustoleum will make it look professional. For increased strength you can use a 32mm angle and put it inside and out and space the rivets 100 - 150mm apart, stronger than any heavy timber and less than half the weight.

Do not be intimidated with aluminium it is a great medium to work with, granted it can be a devil to weld but there are ways to overcome that obstacle.

Jy moet bang maak nie bang word
    Met n groot genoeg hammer kan ek enige iets reg kry, maar ongelukkig is my tyd so klein bietjie beperk. Houtwerk is ek handig mee, metaal, nie so baie nie.

Van waar? Lyk baie netjies!
    Riaan van Rugged Design het my kappie gebou en boks. Ek het die res diy gedoen.

Riaan van Rugged Design het my kappie gebou en boks. Ek het die res diy gedoen.
    Baie dankie

Thanks Robbie.
    If I'm building an alu frame, I may as well do the entire thing out of alu, so aluminium angle is what I'm thinking to support to canopy

Sorry, I was not thinking about a kitchen in a canopy side door aperture.
    Im sure your neighbor will explain how to bend aluminium sheeting and glue it together as per Henks post.

its basically an angled box with bend on the front for attachment to the canopy.

good luck, make a template out of cardboard.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

I just got back from pricing 1.4mm aluminum sheets, I now have a doctors bill to pay as well.
    At R790 for a 1200x690 sheet, I'd need 2 which puts the price only R400 below a Rhinoman Utility box (which can apparently be made to work with the Alucab) installed, so looks like that's the route I'm taking. Thanks all for the helpful info

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeepman85 For This Useful Post:

Perhaps this video might give you some ideas -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXwURQuFAkc

The square aluminium and corner pieces are available from Maizeys.

For my campervan build I used 9mm Birch ply joined with light aluminum angles - Sikaflexed to the ply and bolted with small 4mm bolts.

Very easy home construction, light, strong and flexible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200809_115815.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	607751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200818_145134.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	607752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201026_135654.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	607753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210205_081945.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	607754  

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregjohnson For This Useful Post:

Hey guys. We've got a trip coming up in 2 weeks and I'd like to get a more permanent solution than ammo boxes mounted to my Alucab.

I browsed the brick and mortar stores, but I refuse to pay 6-10k for a piece of sheet metal/wood, so will try knocking up my own unit.

What's the prefered material for these? 13mm MDF? Chipboard? Alu? Something else?

I'd like it to be as light as possible, but not too much hassle (Alu will need to go to an engineering shop) and not fall apart in a year

Then, what's the best way to mount to the Alucab? Drill out the rivets holding the door frame and attaching the cabinet with brackets to these holes?

Thanks in advance

Hi Jeepman85.

I am in the process of converting my recently acquired VW T4 Caravelle into a camper. There's loads of info on You Tube on how everybody does it. Mine will be different, in that it must be able to convert back to an 8 seater minibus every time I get home. I am therefore obsessed with lightness and would not even consider wood.

I decided on Aluminium, as I love the stuff and it's dead easy to work with. No welding, no bolts, no rivets. Just stick it all together.
    I have been using a supplier, who cuts, bends and laser cuts to any dimensions I give them drawings for. Nice bunch of guys to deal with too.

Simplicity was my second consideration, after lightness, so I made sketches of my Camp Kitchen, then broke it down to individual panels, which I emailed my supplier. 4 Days later I had all my panels and I bonded it all together. It was not quite as simple as I have described and if I was to do it again it would be neater second time around.
    I enclose some pics of the almost complete kitchen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp Kitchen 001.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	607797
    Struggling with the others, which are on my tablet. Will keep trying.
    The unit is 90cm wide, 33cm deep and 50cm high.
    It has handles on the ends and I can lift it, empty with one finger.

When making Aluminium boxes for motor vehicles, remember they resonate like a snare drum when driving, which I dampened with self-adhesive pads. It's inside the van, where I can hear it.
    The kitchen unit will be secured to the floor with straps and can pull out of the rear door and rest on the bumper and it's own fold out legs. Can cook outside, or inside if the weather is iffy.
    Will send more pics when I figure out how.

Pete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp Kitchen 002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	607813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp Kitchen 003.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	607814  

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeep Cherokee For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2