Booking for licence renewal

Default Booking for licence renewal

I believe that one has to now make a online booking to renew ones drivers licence . I have also heard stories of people waiting up to a year to get a booking abds then has to travel some distance to get to the town with the open spot . I have also read that some people has had no problems. So what is the best option to get this done?
    My licence expires in october next year , I used to go to the Randburg office about a month before expiry, arrive early , stand in the Q, complete the application , get eyes tested , go pay and out in about 2 hours , now i am not sure how its going to work , I cant take off time from my shop to travel to another town to go do the licence and then again to go collect , just craze .
    Or do you think things will change in the next 18 odd months ?
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Default Re: Booking for licence renewal

I looked on line every few days a couple of times a day until I found a suitable station. I went to midrand, my closest. About 2 weeks from booking to appointment date and time. Had to use their forms. Took about an hour. 5 weeks later, walked straight in an collected.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markd For This Useful Post:

Just did a online check, for info , Vereeniging has 30 slots open , Fochville 40 open , and the rest 0 slots for the rest of Gauteng. As I have time I will keep looking and try to find a slot closer to the time .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

I didnt have a licence card for nearly 3 years due to having 3 IDs with different numbers and my actual licence being registered under one of them only. They wouldnt issue me with a new card against my last ID

Anyhoo, my son was due to renew his and the First Wife, who incidentally has the patience of a Saint, held out until slots at KDP came up, booked for both of us (I thought it would be a pointless exercise for me) and then booked for us to do the eye test at Specsavers before the renewal process. Armed with the tests and the myriad other info (copies in quadruples) off we went. We arrived 45 minutes before our time slot (09h15 and 09h30 respectively) for Justin Case. The security chap checked our booking against his control sheet, told us to go in, took out temps, and directed each of us to sit outside an office. Two Afrikaans ladies saw us individually at the same time, I explained my predicament with the IDs, she altered my application to reflect my drivers licence ID number, explained why there is a problem (keeping in mind this was previously shrugged off as not their problem), told me how to rectify it and gave me the docs required to pay. Both of us were in the payment queue before 09h15.

The payment queue took longer than the renewal process.

6 weeks later, we went down to collect. 2 queues, one for licence collections and the other for vehicle related payments and papers etc. 2 people ahead of us and we collected the cards and were on our way again in under 30 minutes.

Both times (renewal and collection) we thought we were in for a long wait but in fairness, it was quick (except the payment queue where there were 5 tellers and each would process one person and disappear to the back with the cell phone before coming back to serve the next person. The effect of this was there were only 2 tellers actually processing someone at any given time)

So apart from the booking process, it was quite quick. Leading up to December, you could only do the renewal on one or two days. This in conjunction with the C19 delays was obviously creating a back log. The First Wife battled to get a slot, she watched the availables drop from say 20 to 0 within minutes. Then it was decided to open renewals to all days and then it was quick to get the slots.
    Last edited by Estee; 2021/02/22 at 07:42 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    Just did a online check, for info , Vereeniging has 30 slots open , Fochville 40 open , and the rest 0 slots for the rest of Gauteng. As I have time I will keep looking and try to find a slot closer to the time .

Vereeniging now has 23
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.