Default Nissan x trail recommendations

Hi

Im interested in getting the wife an xtrail that is off plan. Gonna look around for a tekna spec. Must be an auto and would like 4x4 capability even though I would hardly use it.looking for a 2018+ spec.

Im not familiar with Nissans. Advice im looking for: Which models would you guys recommend?
    how is the maintenance costs on these vehicles?
    Common problems i should look out for before purchasing?
    Good non dealer mechs/service shops that are well recommended.

Regards.

Default Re: Nissan x trail recommendations

I have a 2015 Tekna auto I am looking for a new home for. 48000km. Pm if interested
    2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX AT (Kinetic Yellow)
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

I have had the 2.5 a few times as a rental, seems well put together and I got fuel under 10l per hundred on all times. For the fun I did use the 4x4 function and it felt decent.

Best soft roader/ able to do some stuff offroad imo.

I reckon just search Nissan dealership sites, you will get a good deal

The CVT on the Xtrails is not so great. Common failure point unfortunately. With regular oil changes you can extend the life. The newer CVT gearboxes seem to be holding up better than the previous versions. As far as I know the last automatic gearbox was in the 2.0 DCi T31, thereafter only CVT.
    My Life Loving It

If you take a look around there isnt much that beats an Xrail in terms of value for money.
    The newer T32 shape is great, have rented and used them a couple of times. No issues, solid and good all round.
    Personally own a T31 2.5 4x4 CVT. We tow an Offroad trailer, drive it wherever we need to. Obviously keeping in mind you got to look after it and be mindful of limitations but as of yet, no issues, no regrets.
    There is a lot of people who complain about a CVT and all the issues, but like I said, we tow with ours, drive it offroad and havent had a day of trouble.
    CVT does take a bit of getting used to in terms of the feel of the drive as opposed to a standard auto.
    If you look around there are 100s being used all over by rental companies, if the dreaded CVTs were so bad I reckon they wouldnt be using them and we would hear a lot more about actual problems etc.
    Look after it and it will look after you.
    Great all round vehicle and as mentioned exceptional value for money.
    Just keep in mind the Tekna has the larger mags and lower profile tyres should you want to take it offroad, something to keep in mind.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
    If you take a look around there isnt much that beats an Xrail in terms of value for money.
    The newer T32 shape is great, have rented and used them a couple of times. No issues, solid and good all round.
    Personally own a T31 2.5 4x4 CVT. We tow an Offroad trailer, drive it wherever we need to. Obviously keeping in mind you got to look after it and be mindful of limitations but as of yet, no issues, no regrets.
    There is a lot of people who complain about a CVT and all the issues, but like I said, we tow with ours, drive it offroad and havent had a day of trouble.
    CVT does take a bit of getting used to in terms of the feel of the drive as opposed to a standard auto.
    If you look around there are 100s being used all over by rental companies, if the dreaded CVTs were so bad I reckon they wouldnt be using them and we would hear a lot more about actual problems etc.
    Look after it and it will look after you.
    Great all round vehicle and as mentioned exceptional value for money.
    Just keep in mind the Tekna has the larger mags and lower profile tyres should you want to take it offroad, something to keep in mind.

Cheers
    I agree with WayneG
    n' profeet word nie in sy eie land geken nie!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pottie1 For This Useful Post:

I must say Im very undecided on the CVT, seems everyone split in two camps. Don't touch the CVT, Too expensive, too many issues.
    And rhe smaller camp seems very happy with the cvt

Quote Originally Posted by eboo View Post
    I must say Im very undecided on the CVT, seems everyone split in two camps. Don't touch the CVT, Too expensive, too many issues.
    And rhe smaller camp seems very happy with the cvt
    Hey Eboo.
    Agree and understand, again it may not be properly objective as I have a CVT.
    But looking back on this forum, in the Nissan Problems section, I could only find two Nissan Xtrail problems mentioned. Neither were from a CVT.
    Looking at the huge number of Avis etc fleet vehicles I am sure we would have actual numbers in front of us if the CVT was really a problem.
    Is it a bulletproof heavy duty gearbox, NO. If you want one of those buy a bigger proper 4x4.
    Looking around at the other manufacturers and how many now use CVT boxes again it cant be all that bad.
    My decision was based on research in RSA and on this forum where people "heard" about CVT problems on the Xtrail but I cant exactly pinpoint where these issues are.
    Reading here in the Nissan Problems section, on the forum dating back to 2008, there seems to be only 2 mentions of Xtrail problems, neither to do with a CVT. I might have missed other posts but that was going through it.

If you want the strongest gearbox on an Xtrail then get the older 2.5 Petrol in a Manual, dont know if the 2.0 diesel came out in SA in Manual, if it did it should also be great. If you want Auto well then unless its an older model they are all going to be CVT.

A problem that does seem to surface with current Xtrails and other Nissans using the 1,6 Diesel is the DPF or something along those lines.
    Hope this helps, again I am sure I am being subjective here and will get some backlash, but the "dreaded"CVT in the Nissan Xtrail seems to be more of an urban legend in my books.
    Last edited by WayneG; 2021/02/23 at 12:11 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Nissan x trail recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
    dont know if the 2.0 diesel came out in SA in Manual
    It did yes. I have the T31 2.0 dCi Manual.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Nothing wrong with the 2.5 4x4 cvt X-trails, I've spoken to plenty owner's over the last 2 years and haven't heard one complaint, wish I'd bought a 2.5 instead of the 1.6 when I bought mine.
    Now: 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 GLS Exceed
    Previous: 2015 T32 Nissan X-trail 1.6 dCi SE 4x4 Tech
    Previous: 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 GLS

Thanks for all the feedback, it really is appreciated. My purchase been pushed at least till the end of March. The X trail does seem like really good value in the second hand market.

I see that both the CRV and RAV4 also have CVTs. At the moment im still leaning towards the Xtrail.

My FIL has the 2.4 CVT AWD. Not a single issue since 2016.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"