Question Slide on canopies

Apologies if this has been discussed before but what is the general consensus on slide-on campers, good idea / bad idea, major disadvantages and advantages.

Best offerings out there and best vehicle choice. Thinking extra or single cab, don't need double cab.

Thanks in advance
    2010 Defender Puma (Toolbox)
    2018 BMW F800GS

Default Re: Slide on canopies

I have seen two slide on Campers. One camper slides into back of bakkie and if owner wants to go site seeing, they drop down the sturdy jacks, jack camper off bakkie and utilise bakkie. It's basically a caravan on a bakkie with all inside. Clever idea.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Max , ek het n kamper wat ek agter op my bakkie op skuif en afhaal en doen dit alleen.
    Sarel van Blinkgat produkte het my kamper gebou en ek is baie tevrede met die kamper.
    Was al in n paar buurlande gewees en self in die woestyn met hom en ek ry baie lekker met hom agter op my bakkie en hy is nogal lig ook.
    En as jy wil gaan rond ry slaan jy baie vinnag op en ry.
    Dit hang maar net af hoe groot jy hom soek dan kan jy besluit op n d/c of s/c bakkie en wat is jou behoeftes.
    En ek kan enige plek gaan kamp waar my voertuig ry want ek het als in my kamper.
    Daar is ook ander kamper op die mark ek het na van hulle gaan kyk maar is nie vir my nie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon Venter For This Useful Post:

We got an AHA camper with the bakkie when we bought it. We weren't sure if we would like it, especially since we have a very good ground camping setup, but we do like it a lot.

It sets up as fast as a normal folding rooftop tent, but has the kitchen, fridge, water tank, dualbattery and sleeping area all included. Ours sleeps 3 or 2 with a big shelf and has cupboards for clothes. If you're good about keeping it neat, packing up takes 5 minutes. There's also enough space to pack chairs, the table, ground sheets etc inside as well as tool storage.

Getting it on and off takes around 15 minutes either way, with 3 bolts holding it. Once it's loose, you slide it onto a trolley that you can move around. It can be done by one person but 2 is much easier. The newer versions have a boat winch that makes it simple for one person.
    All that's left in the bakkie is a square tube frame flat against the bottom.

My dad had one. At first the mechanism for taking it off was useless as it relied on legs with wheels on, and you slid the camper off the vehicle. This only worked on flat concrete.

We re-designed the process such that we pulled the vehicle out from under the camper. This also made the legs much lighter and more compact, and in this guise it worked very well.

However it only has room for two, the centre of gravity was pretty far back and it was pretty heavy, such that on really bad roads the single-cab Hilux showed a lot of chassis flex. Worrying amounts. For that reason, if I did something like that it would be on one of the bigger bakkies. Patrol, Cruiser, F150 or similar.

But if you are two people and like spending a couple of days in a campsite, I think it is conceptually the best of all solutions.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

I think you are on the right track. The Klipspringer by Roro campers must be one of the most popular ones that is available. Good to hear that Blinkgat also makes these, worth investigating.Most people use a Cruiser as a platform. To me the 5km/ L is a bit rough. I was wondering how the Amarok would take the load, with the right suspension, e.g more springs or an air suspension. At.least the fuel consumption would be better and you would have a nice comfy ride. In Australia the Rok seems popular, with a camper loaded. Just not here in SA...

watse voertuig gaan jy he om die camper op te sit

moet nie dink jy gaan die camper afhak as jy wil gou rond ry nie

ek het 'n blinkgat en het by 2 persone gaan kyk en dan my eie voorstelle gedoen

gaan by die verskillende campers en kyk wat hulle bied .

as jy wil ,kan jy by my 'n draai maak om myne te sien ,ek is so 'n uur en 'n half van jou af .

soos LEON VENTER genoem ,het jy stop en sommer gou camp jy ,as jy nie van die bure hou nie gou gou skuif jy na 'n ander plek .

dan is dit prys en as jy weet hoe 'n 13mm spanner se agterkant lyk nog beter .maar dis nou ek .

alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Have a look at the Obiqua slide on camper

Quote Originally Posted by Max Lange View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed before but what is the general consensus on slide-on campers, good idea / bad idea, major disadvantages and advantages.

Best offerings out there and best vehicle choice. Thinking extra or single cab, don't need double cab.

Thanks in advance
    Think the concept is very sound, we looked at the Palomino https://www.palominorv.co.za/product.htm and Northstar camper http://www.northstarsa.co.za/ and preferred the Northstar from a construction perspective. These campers offer a lot of space for 2 adults, headroom is awesome and one has an indoor kitchen with outside shower. These are designed for single, extended and double cab vehicles as well as heavier trucks like the Iveco.

I initially thought it was a simply matter to just raise the camper off the load bed with 4 electric/manual jacks - It is easy enough to get it off BUT if the ground is not level, it is not easy to put on again as the vehicle bak is not level to the camper and one little bump will damage the jacks. This would be made a lot simpler if one used a flat load bed vehicle like a VW t6 double cab with Flat load bin. In this scenario one would be able to add an outdoor kitchen and additional fridge/freezer space.is get off But not that easy to put on again.

costs of these 2 campers are similar to a Bush Lapa Slip Bosluis 2 https://www.bushlapagautengnorth.co....leeper-slip-on

one of my concerns with these campers is they all weigh in the region of 650kg and would be better suited to the heavier bakkies that can carry a full 1000kg as the Bulbar, wheel carriers, extra fuel, water, fridge, batteries, tools, wood, etc all chew up the load difference between camper and bakkie very quickly.
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

Thanks for all the valuable input.
    2010 Defender Puma (Toolbox)
    2018 BMW F800GS

Camper on a ldv works fine. We have one that you fix temporarily on your bakkie. Don't know those that you can drop off at the camp.

When not in use, you take it off and have the bakkie for other uses. Also a bit cheaper option than a off road caravan and as comfortable , I would say. We have both.

Not much to unfold in the evening or to pack in the morning. It takes a only few minutes to get ready. Quit nice for overlanding, where you travel to various places, and not having the hassles with towing.

If you go to one place for a holiday then a trailer/caravan is much more convenient.
    Johan Kriel

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

funny you should ask about slide on. The manufacturer of my alu canopy, posted on his FB page his latest project.
    canopy camper concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    funny you should ask about slide on. The manufacturer of my alu canopy, posted on his FB page his latest project.
    canopy camper concept.
    Hi Dwayne, could you tell me more about the manufacturer please?