Default New fuel and engine misfire. Possibility or coincidence?

Hi all,

Could there possibly be a link between new fuel and a cylinder misfire by any chance? My tank was reaaaallllly empty (and I mean way below the red line, and then still some haha) when I filled up yesterday. I almost always fill up at Sasol but had to use Total yesterday. After driving about 20km, engine light came on and threw an error of P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) in conjunction with p2305 (ignition coil 'B' secondary circuit insufficient iodization), with the engine running very rough and a loss of power. Now this is very coincidental to me and I honestly hope it has something to do with the fuel.

Whatcha guys think? I would obviously have to work through all possibilities (spark plug, coils etc.) but something about my stop at Total tells me it might be related.

*Disclaimer: a similar issue happened to me last year. This turned out to be the cylinder head that had to be replaced by the Dealership under warranty (entirely new model head). It's possible (but highly unlikely) that this is the same issue after a mere 4000km.

Thanks!
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Default Re: New fuel and engine misfire. Possibility or coincidence?

I would say it is more likely to be dirt in the tank picked up when it was close to empty and slowly making it's way through the system and getting stuck in the injector?
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I would say it is more likely to be dirt in the tank picked up when it was close to empty and slowly making it's way through the system and getting stuck in the injector?
    Would it make it past the filters?

I agree on dirt in the tank, but I would first replace the fuel filters before doing any major work.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Would it make it past the filters?

I agree on dirt in the tank, but I would first replace the fuel filters before doing any major work.
    I have experienced several instances of dirt getting through fuel filters and jamming pumps, so I think it is possible.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Well in the last week in Bloemfontein alone i know of 5 stations that have got water in the 95 and diesel.Most stations get from the kroonstad depo that runs on a 60year old pipeline from durban that gets sabotaged often and surely water must get in during these events.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

My 2cw. Running empty empty often results in sludge (silt) being picked up. This can be more problematic in diesels than petrols.

The second issue could be the state of the tanks as Mr G says. If they are low or have had water contamination either at the forecourt or in the supply chain, issues can arise.

One would expect the issue to run across all injectors but it doesnt always happen that way, it can affect 1 or a couple of them. A test you could do is syphon off some fuel into a glass jar and wait for 20 minutes and see if there is a separation of fuel (on top) and water below. Easier in old cars to get a sample than modern ones.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Great, thanks guys! So this could then actually be the fuel (honestly hope so), and not only a coincidence.
    Will see what I can do to determine if this is sediment or water.

On a side note, if sludge is the culprit, what would be the easiest to check and remove this? And water? Drain the tank?
    Last edited by Alwyn777; 2021/02/19 at 11:34 AM.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn777 View Post
    Great, thanks guys! So this could then actually be the fuel (honestly hope so), and not only a coincidence.Will see what I can do to determine if this is sediment or water.
    Can also be a coilpack. They do fail randomly. Swop No. 2 injector with another one, and see if the missfire move to that cylinder. Or before you swop the injectors, swop 2 coilpacks to rule out spark problem.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDisco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDisco View Post
    Can also be a coilpack. They do fail randomly. Swop No. 2 injector with another one, and see if the missfire move to that cylinder. Or before you swop the injectors, swop 2 coilpacks to rule out spark problem.
    Yup, this is the other possibility. I guess I'll have to open up and do some testing.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Fiddle fiddle fu..ked...
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn777 View Post
    Great, thanks guys! So this could then actually be the fuel (honestly hope so), and not only a coincidence.
    Will see what I can do to determine if this is sediment or water.

On a side note, if sludge is the culprit, what would be the easiest to check and remove this? And water? Drain the tank?
    I am not familiar with your set up. Draining the tank would be required. You dont have to discard the fuel, the water and sediment will settle under the fuel so you can siphon off the good fuel and use again. Replace fuel filter(s). Again, not familiar with your set up but some vehicles have 2, a larger one near the tank and a smaller one before the fuel injection system.

Crank the engine a couple of times with injectors out to ''bleed'' the fuel lines. Not sure if possible with modern systems.

But do check the coil packs. They dont all fail at the same time and can give the type of issues you describe. Maybe confirm or eliminate that before draining tank.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I am not familiar with your set up. Draining the tank would be required. You dont have to discard the fuel, the water and sediment will settle under the fuel so you can siphon off the good fuel and use again. Replace fuel filter(s). Again, not familiar with your set up but some vehicles have 2, a larger one near the tank and a smaller one before the fuel injection system.

Crank the engine a couple of times with injectors out to ''bleed'' the fuel lines. Not sure if possible with modern systems.

But do check the coil packs. They dont all fail at the same time and can give the type of issues you describe. Maybe confirm or eliminate that before draining tank.
    Sure, will check the spark plugs and coil packs first. Will then try to determine if water or sediment is causing ####.
    Thanks Estee
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Did you not put wrong fuel into tank ie petrol into diesel or visa versaor garage fuel is dirty or has water in it.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son