Default Power Socket in new Ranger load bin

Hi All

This topic might have been covered somewhere....?

I traded my 2017 Ranger Super cab in for the new Super cab. This model has a power socket in the load bin (rear left side).

Now my question is this: The NL dual battery system in the previous ranger required me to install a 16mm2 set of cables running from the main battery to the rear battery box.

Can I discard this (I actually took it out of the 2017 Ranger) and tap off this power outlet? I will then connect to the NL unit directly to the power socket.

My concern is whether the power socket will suffice in supplying power for charging the NL box.

Thank you!

Default Re: Power Socket in new Ranger load bin

It will work perfectly, but you'll probably have a fair amount of voltage drop. Best to have a dedicated battery pack in the back with its own charging solution.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    It will work....
    No it will not....
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/02/18 at 06:08 AM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km, almost.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 160 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted + 265/75/R16 rubber on Patrol Rims!
    Ewiks Caravan Movers now fitted to trailer, lekkerrrr - I should have done that long ago. AND 2.6kW lifepo4 in trailer, 3.1kW lifepo4 in NL box with WRN MPPT/DCtiDF in Patrol, 2x1kW in small packs with MPPC/ DCtoDC as backup in case , all self built, 480W panels Victron MPPT and 220V 25A IP67 charger
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 158 000 km

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

If it is the same as the new navara's one. I was advised against it because of wire thickness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fatbike For This Useful Post:

I would plug a DC-DC charger into the plug and your NL to that.

The plug is rated at 20A,
    Ranger Wildtrak
    Ex Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamtheman For This Useful Post:

Just remember your 12V supply is not constant, and only works when your truck is idling and a short time thereafter.
    2021 Ford Ranger Raptor
    Rhino 4x4 Rocksliders
    RSI SmartCap
    Rhino 4x4 Evo front bumper
    Terrain Tamer replacement coil springs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisBlatherwick For This Useful Post:

I am using mine to run my NL , works perfectly. As Chris pointed out only power while ignition on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basterbrak For This Useful Post:

Correct, as a short term solution it's fine - I run my fridge off it while driving and then over to 220v at a campsite, but I wouldn't run all my meat etc for a long trip from that plug. Then you'd need a dedicated battery with charging solution.

I still want to modify the source to be permanently live. Then you can run a dc-dc charger off it to charge a isolated battery in the back. (or just charge the battery via a solar panel and avoid all vehicle cabling)
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Correct, as a short term solution it's fine - I run my fridge off it while driving and then over to 220v at a campsite, but I wouldn't run all my meat etc for a long trip from that plug. Then you'd need a dedicated battery with charging solution.

I still want to modify the source to be permanently live. Then you can run a dc-dc charger off it to charge a isolated battery in the back. (or just charge the battery via a solar panel and avoid all vehicle cabling)
    My question is how thick is those wires running from the front.
    Running a fridge while driving yes but charging a battery🤔

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fatbike For This Useful Post:

The Auto manufacturers use max 4mm^2 wire for hose 20Amp outlets in the back

Use that for battery charging ? Me ? not a chance...
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/02/18 at 01:05 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km, almost.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 160 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted + 265/75/R16 rubber on Patrol Rims!
    Ewiks Caravan Movers now fitted to trailer, lekkerrrr - I should have done that long ago. AND 2.6kW lifepo4 in trailer, 3.1kW lifepo4 in NL box with WRN MPPT/DCtiDF in Patrol, 2x1kW in small packs with MPPC/ DCtoDC as backup in case , all self built, 480W panels Victron MPPT and 220V 25A IP67 charger
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 158 000 km

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    The Auto manufacturers use max 4mm^2 wire for hose 20Amp outlets in the back

Use that for battery charging ? Me ? not a chance...
    I tested my navara back lighter socket on my grey nl box with build in solenoid.
    It worked but the what if factor played around in my head when I looked at the wires.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fatbike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    My question is how thick is those wires running from the front.
    Running a fridge while driving yes but charging a battery��
    Probably 4mm. I wouldn't charge via that cable (Ac-dc). Use it to power a dc-dc charger
    Last edited by George; 2021/02/18 at 01:53 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for the replies.

So the NL has its own built in solenoid, etc. So if the power switches off with ignition off then that will also be ok.

I did not think that Ford would install oversize wiring - so I was also thinking about the voltage drop and the requirement of a DC to DC booster charger such as the C-Tek DS250. But at more than R5k, I believe the re-installation of my old 16mm2 cable and fuse setup would suffice as it worked perfectly in the previous Ranger.

I can spend the R5k on something else needed.....

Thanks for the attention!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelblooms View Post
    Thanks all for the replies.

So the NL has its own built in solenoid, etc. So if the power switches off with ignition off then that will also be ok.

I did not think that Ford would install oversize wiring - so I was also thinking about the voltage drop and the requirement of a DC to DC booster charger such as the C-Tek DS250. But at more than R5k, I believe the re-installation of my old 16mm2 cable and fuse setup would suffice as it worked perfectly in the previous Ranger.

I can spend the R5k on something else needed.....

Thanks for the attention!!!
    Agreed. It works and you have it allready.
    Last edited by George; 2021/02/19 at 06:30 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Appoligies for highjacking your thread, but I'm new to the Ranger family and need some expert advice. I acquired a used 2019 model Ford Ranger Fx4 D/c P/u, basically a XLT with a few additional extras. I read your ranger has a 12v plug in the load bin on the leftside. I noticed mine has a hole there, and some sort of missing plug or cover. I do need a 12v outlet to run my camper freezer from the bin. My question is do my model have a port or do i need to lay cable for a 12v plug in the bin. Nothing about extra aux 12v in the bin area in the manual. I do have 2 front and 1 at the back inside the cab. I've attached some pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220309_071813.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	650144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220309_071821.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	650145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220309_071838.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	650146  
    Last edited by L0n3i200n; 2022/03/09 at 07:32 AM.

Last edited by stephenplumb; 2022/05/27 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L0n3i200n View Post
    Appoligies for highjacking your thread, but I'm new to the Ranger family and need some expert advice. I acquired a used 2019 model Ford Ranger Fx4 D/c P/u, basically a XLT with a few additional extras. I read your ranger has a 12v plug in the load bin on the leftside. I noticed mine has a hole there, and some sort of missing plug or cover. I do need a 12v outlet to run my camper freezer from the bin. My question is do my model have a port or do i need to lay cable for a 12v plug in the bin. Nothing about extra aux 12v in the bin area in the manual. I do have 2 front and 1 at the back inside the cab. I've attached some pic.
    You have the tub liner that comes with the Wildtrak but without the power connection.

You will need 2 parts from Ford, 1) the harness (the plug for the harness is behind your left rear wheel) and then the outlet which connects in the hole of the tub liner.

The part number from Ford for the harness is: AB39 19B966 AD , since i don't have the tub liner i used a regular 12v cigarette outlet instead of the square ford outlet, you will be able to get that part number from them.

i attach 2 pictures for you, 1) the outlet, Ford can use this to get the part number for you, 2) picture of the harness i took
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harnass.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	650276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outlet.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	650277  

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rambo7 For This Useful Post:

In my new Raptor the 12V and 230V outlets are good for 15 amp for the 12 V and 1.7 amp for the 230. If I calculate correctly.

Angry Re: Power Socket in new Ranger load bin

Quote Originally Posted by CarlGrobler View Post
    In my new Raptor the 12V and 230V outlets are good for 15 amp for the 12 V and 1.7 amp for the 230. If I calculate correctly.
    Trying to find out when the 230v is active. With the stupid uk point I find myself that I could only start playing with it while camping now and can not get power at the point