Need help finding a solution

Default Need help finding a solution

Hi all,

So I just got my first camping trailer today and I noticed my driveway up to the garage has a small steep slope. I cannot reverse the trailer into the garage since it is a complex with very little space to maneuver.

So here is the problem, how can I safely get the trailer up the incline into the garage, and how can I safely lower it out if I dont have a few sets of hands available?

Thanks!

Default Re: Need help finding a solution

Quote Originally Posted by Kwagga32 View Post
    Hi all,

So I just got my first camping trailer today and I noticed my driveway up to the garage has a small steep slope. I cannot reverse the trailer into the garage since it is a complex with very little space to maneuver.

So here is the problem, how can I safely get the trailer up the incline into the garage, and how can I safely lower it out if I dont have a few sets of hands available?

Thanks!
    difficult to advise without physically seeing your problem. Is there no space to reverse? What vehicle do you have? Can you fit a front towball?

Maybe look at a old man Africa mover.
    Bruce Hunter. 2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

A winch on the back of the trailer will safely pull it up a drive way.

Might not be the most elegant but can work.
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    A winch on the back of the trailer will safely pull it up a drive way.

Might not be the most elegant but can work.
    ...or a winch in the garage and a hook on the trailer ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Default Need help finding a solution

One of my friends had the same issue with his trailer. He installed an Adendorff winch in the front of the garage to pull the trailer in. His driveway is about 6meters long, and steep. If it rains, he cant even get his wife’s rav into the garage.
    Last edited by Bassfisher; 2021/02/17 at 06:38 AM.

Last edited by PRA; 2021/02/17 at 06:45 AM.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

The expensive option is to fit caravan movers like Ewiks or Quatro Purple Movers. Then you simply use the remote and drive it in.
    2016 V8 D/Cab Cruiser
    Land Cruiser VDJ 71
    2020 LC 200 GXR
    2020 LC FJ

10. The Following User Says Thank You to geoff norton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    One of my friends had the same issue with his trailer. He installed an Adendorff winch in the front of the garage to pull the trailer in. His driveway is about 6meters long, and steep. If it rains, he cant even get his wife’s rav into the garage.

Just went and picked up a 1.3 ton adendorf winch. Now to mount it and try it out.

Just went and picked up a 1.3 ton adendorf winch. Now to mount it and try it out.
    1.3 ton is plenty, but I just hope you went for a worm gear winch, this makes it so much safer and easier. Also get Super 12 synthetic winch rope if you can and get rid of the steel cable, steel cable is horrible to work with vs synthetic and for this application you don't even need very thick Super 12.

This will probably still be a 2 person job depending on your driveway, one person to work the winch and the other to steer the trailer.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Depending on incline and weight of trailer, you could do it with 2 bricks and anybody who can carry one brick at a time.
    Place one brick in front of each wheel. Go to the nose of the trailer and swing it left. The left wheel will now climb up the slope while pivoting on the right wheel (ensuring that the process does not dislodge the right wheel from its brick). Get your assist to move the brick up to where the left wheel now is. Once in place swing the nose to the right and do the same process on the right hand wheel with the brick. You probably will have moved the trailer about a meter by now.
    May be slow and tedious but it's cheap and works.

At my previous home I had a similar problem reversing my Jurgens caravan up the incline into tha garage resulting in a clutch replacement. I then got a Macho Mule and the exercise became a breeze. The incline was steep enough to leave Macho Mule tyre thread marks on the concrete.

I suggest you Gumtree a wanted request.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Put a y type yoke attached to 2 points on trailer and the end on the winch. This might help getting it into garage. My 2 cents worth.

Way to go, why complicate you life with other things ?
    And for your needs the supplied steel cable is more than good enough.
    I have one of those winches on my Jimny, every month or so, I just roll the cable out, clean it, roll it back in.
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

As long as it is not too steep, get a desent rope and a snatch block. Fit a eye in your garage on the floor or wall (wall is better as it does not pull the trailer downwards) attach snatch block, then use 4x4 to reverse down your drive way, pulling your trailer under control into the garage. once it the garage it's flat and you can move safely and easily.

I have used this method to get my big galvanised flat trailer into the shed, it's far too heavy to man handle. I fitted a tow-ball onto the back of the trailer so it is towed straight backwards into the shed, right up to the wall in the perfect spot each time, with the normal tow hitch pointing out ready to be towed out again.

As long as it is not too steep and camping trailer not too big and heavy!
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor