Default Painting Inside Of Boat Hull And Other Questions

Hi,

I have just bought a cheap little boat to use for some bass fishing.

The outside of the hull is in good condition, but the inside needs cleaning up. I would like to repaint it, but I am not sure what paint to use on the fiberglass. Could somebody please suggest a suitable paint and, if necessary a primer, I could use. It will be applied by brush or roller and not sprayed on.

The second question is the legalities of it. I have a yachting day skippers qualification, which I think should cover me for operating it on local dams and rivers? The boat comes with a buoyancy certificate. As far as I know I will need to do a COF on it and register it somewhere. Can somebody please advise on this also.

Thanks in advance,

John
    Last edited by John Allan; 2021/02/16 at 11:06 AM.

Default Re: Painting Inside Of Boat Hull And Other Questions

I'm not really an expert on this but given the lack of responses I'll share my thoughts.

I bought a small 3m fibre glass boat in December and first thing was a repaint. I roughed up the existing paint with sand paper (just lightly) and used a good enamel (sponge roller and brush). It looks neat and should last quite some time which is fine for such a "cheap" little boat. I read that two-step polyurethane is very strong and glossy but expensive and not easy to work with. I guess it comes down to the value of the boat and how important the finish is.

Yachting skippers tickets cover motor vessels as well so you're good there.

Unfortunately I can't help with the COF question.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Thanks for the feedback.

Two things with fibre glass.

1. Prep the painting surface area properly, that means cleaning off especially any waxy and/or oily surface treatments it might have had.
    2. Second part of prepping is a fine grit sand all over the paint area and then make sure to get rid of the sanded powder residue.

Lastly, type of paint:
    Taken from a guide online - A basic spray paint or latex-acrylic paint will do just fine on a decorative piece or a door. Polyurethane or epoxy paint are better suited to surfaces that will see a lot of heavy use, such as boats, bathtubs, and sinks.

You should get in contact with your local fibreglass supply shop and ask them to mix (pigment / colour of your choice) you a batch of gelcoat.

This is what boats are usually "painted" with .
    The gelcoat is usually applied as the outside layer or first coat in the molding process.

I've painted canoes with automotive paint before (2K) and it also held up without any issue, but you need to prep it - as stated - sand and clean.

Depending on the size of the craft and motor (HP) you could be covered, but might need a Category R Skippers ticket.
    The boat also needs to be surveyed and certified in the specific category, it will need all safety gear as per SAMSA regulations.
    Contact SAMSA to find a local surveyor , or boat club in your area.

I used https://indianoceanskippers.co.za/ for the Buoyancy and COF for my boat, but they are in Pretoria...

tight lines.
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

You should be able to go here

http://www.samsa.org.za/Pages/PageNo...%20ver%206.pdf

Sadly the link does not work. You are looking for a category R form. I am assuming that your vessel is powered by a biggish outboard. I think below 5 or 15hp you don't need to have a skippers. Above that you will need a cat R for inland waters, bays, and inlets etc.

The forum will have all the safety gear you will need and then any boat shop should have a surveyor that will actually issue the certificate. You will also need a number from SAMA that will have to be put on the boat, usually stickers.

You will probably need a bouyancy certificate, and if your boat does not have one, you will need to have it foam filled or otherwise equipped with buoyancy.

You will also need to budget to do this every year and accommodate whatever silly rules sama add, that are very relevant to off shore boating, but usually completely stupid for inshore. This of course because sama is populated by cadres of dubious maritime standing.

http://www.samsa.org.za/Pages/Board-of-Directors.aspx

Many years ago I got the tip from older boating folks in Knysna to paint the deck of my old boat with Textured Dulux Weatherguard after cleaning it properly. It was inexpensive and I sold the boat many years later still looking good. The textured finish also served the purpose of making it less slippery.
    Danie Gerryts

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab
    Gypsey 5
    Jurgens Xplorer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DanieG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    You should be able to go here.
    ......dubious maritime standing. http://www.samsa.org.za/Pages/Board-of-Directors.aspx
    Everything the Steven has said is spot on - everything.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Glatex 8 is probably the best easily available product but there are some very good 2k paints around these days.
    FJC - Just Cruising