Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Reality of Rhino Dehorning

Hi guys,

This was a real labour of love, I probably spent far too long putting it together, but if it opens a couple of peoples eyes, then job done!

https://youtu.be/LawljdaJvIU

Would love to hear what you guys think? We are planning a 4 month trip up Mozambique telling conservation stories like this, so any feedback is helpful!

Kind regards,

Tim Hulme
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/c/timhulme for my latest overlanding vlog!

2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tim Hulme For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Reality of Rhino Dehorning

How do poachers know the animal is dehorned in the dark ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    They can see it.

Jokes aside, for dehorning to be effective you need to do all your animals and spread the word. That disincentives the poaching gangs from even entering the property as itís not worth the risk of being caught.

You still need to do the patrols etc, dehorning is only part of your anti-poaching plan.

Thanks Tim, good message about one aspect of the realities of having rhino on your property.

And I can even do a bit of name dropping, two of the owners are mates of mine (the camera shy ones).

One interesting aspect for me was you dehorning the females with young calves. Do they have lions on the property? Normally one would wait a bit longer so that the mother can protect the calf against lions, but it also boils down to how long you are prepared to wait. Every day her horn gets long she becomes more of a target.

I assume they try and do the whole herd over a weekend and the only dehorn 18-24 months later, and probably took that into consideration when dehorning the cows.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Thanks Tim, good message about one aspect of the realities of having rhino on your property.

And I can even do a bit of name dropping, two of the owners are mates of mine (the camera shy ones).

One interesting aspect for me was you dehorning the females with young calves. Do they have lions on the property? Normally one would wait a bit longer so that the mother can protect the calf against lions, but it also boils down to how long you are prepared to wait. Every day her horn gets long she becomes more of a target.

I assume they try and do the whole herd over a weekend and the only dehorn 18-24 months later, and probably took that into consideration when dehorning the cows.
    Thanks Rob, there are no Lions on the main section of the property. Oh and what a small world!

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    They can see it.

Jokes aside, for dehorning to be effective you need to do all your animals and spread the word. That disincentives the poaching gangs from even entering the property as itís not worth the risk of being caught.

You still need to do the patrols etc, dehorning is only part of your anti-poaching plan.
    Exactly.

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Ok first of all, I am not an expert and don't try to be, but from my time up there and on other reserves that both dehorn and don't...

There's no simple answer to that, but basically they don't. The reality is that if poachers are in the reserve and they find a dehorned rhino, they will probably still shoot it.

BUT, and it's a big but.

There is less reward for the risk. So reserves like this that do maintain a massive anti poaching presence, then have more chance of dissuading would be poachers, and less chance of being targeted. That's also why all the Rhino were dehorned within a 2 week period, and also why there's no secret that they have been dehorned.

It's not a permanent solution, and if the numbers keep decreasing in the national parks, the focus may well shift back onto these private reserves, but there has been a big decrease in incidents since dehorning. From weekly incursions to one every few months. Long may that continue.

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Hulme For This Useful Post: