Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Default Re: Upington to CKGR route - accommodation tips

Quote Originally Posted by trooper View Post
    Hope your trip is going well!
    An alternate in the Lobatse area is with Heather, from Cornwall Lodge. She has just started a guest house in the hills above Lobatse.
    https://maps.google.com/?q=-25.259014,25.701822 .
    Contact her on +27727985051 (also whatsapp) or +26773520433. No camping facilities but 4 rooms and self catering kitchen.
    From Kang to CKGR (Xade), my preference is still the cut-line. Cuts off a huge distance and you have to negotiate about the same amount of thick sand as coming from Ghanzi. If you are going to Tsau - then Ghanzi makes sense.
    Question of my own - all my contacts and knowledgeable forum members are saying you require Interzonal Permits to travel around in Botswana. You can apply online - but this does not seem to work for SA phone numbers (permits are sent to your phone). Any feedback on what is happening? Botswana immigration official said we only needed PCR negative report and sufficient funds for our trip, but maybe they are in a different government department!
    Check my seperate post about the Inter-zonal travel permits here https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...Travel-Permits

We previously entered CKGR via Xade, we did the trips through Khutse up North and we entered via Mataswere.

With our offroad caravan we wouldn't dare the 70 odd deep sand track, especially not in theses extreme rainy times.

We also wanted to enter at Tsau gate, we've never been there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/04/02 at 12:00 PM.

Hi guys,
    speaking of Ghanzi...what can you say about the Palm Afrique Lodge (which offers campsites as well)?
    It seems not bad and well located since it is on the way to Xade gate.
    Thanks for any feedbacks.

Probably the best kept secret in Ghanzi .

Incredibly neat , clean and safe .

Great overnight spot with camping and chalets .

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Check my seperate post about the Inter-zonal travel permits here https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...Travel-Permits

We previously entered CKGR via Xade, we did the trips through Khutse up North and we entered via Mataswere.

With our offroad caravan we wouldn't dare the 70 odd deep sand track, especially not in theses extreme rainy times.

We also wanted to enter at Tsau gate, we've never been there.
    hi there , the cut line you mention above , where is that snd if we are coming from Kaa gate to xade which route would this be ? Or should we go via ghanzi ?
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by rossmacg View Post
    hi there , the cut line you mention above , where is that snd if we are coming from Kaa gate to xade which route would this be ? Or should we go via ghanzi ?
    Regards
    Metres before the vet fence control post at Kuku village you turn RIGHT towards Tsau gate. There's a big sign, you can't miss it.
    From there the route follows the fence until you reach Tsau. You check in and just travel southwards, no other option given.

Further on you can keep the direction to Piper and Xade gate or turn East, depending which campsite you've booked.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/05/11 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Metres before the vet fence control post at Kuku village you turn left towards Tsau gate. There's a big sign, you can't miss it.
    From there the route follows the fence until you reach Tsau. You check in and just travel southwards, no other option given.

Further on you can keep the direction to Piper and Xade gate or turn East, depending which campsite you've booked.
    I should think you turn "RIGHT" if coming from Ghanzi (KAA area). The village is "KUKE".
    Rossmacg, From KAA why do you want to go to Ghanzi. Why not overnight in Kang Rest and then do the cutline to Xade, since you mentioned going to Xade.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2021/05/11 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    I should think you turn "RIGHT" if coming from Ghanzi (KAA area). The village is "KUKE".
    Rossmacg, From KAA why do you want to go to Ghanzi. Why not overnight in Kang Rest and then do the cutline to Xade, since you mentioned going to Xade.
    Oups 😰😜😌

Pat

I thought "we" were keeping that cutline info close to one's chest

That last bit of uphill deep sand after the rangers camp should keep people away

and the old roots from trees in the vee of the track that rips sidewalls to pieces should do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Pat

I thought "we" were keeping that cutline info close to one's chest

That last bit of uphill deep sand after the rangers camp should keep people away

and the old roots from trees in the vee of the track that rips sidewalls to pieces should do the trick
    Hahah Sorry Ross, will keep the secret. Talking about sand, I just drove Khumaga-Phuduhudu 30 kms road. Eish, its soo sandy, I wouldnt even try it with a trailer. The military truck has destroyed that route and i wonder how it will be during September heat....
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2021/05/11 at 10:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2