Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hartbeespoortdam
    Age
    53
    Posts
    265
    Thanked: 22

    Default Best RTT for 2021?

    What according to you is the best RTT for 2021?

    1. Features
    2. Weight
    3. Ease to use
    4. Available in South Africa

    Rhs
    Land Cruiser 100 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser 200 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser FJ45
    KTM 990S

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare & Brisbane
    Age
    61
    Posts
    507
    Thanked: 728

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Have you read through this recent thread, it has plenty of information about the Bundutop and Alucab and will answer plenty of your questions.

    Comments on Bundutop rooftop tent on a 2003 Prado VX (4x4community.co.za)
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

    Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    1,444
    Thanked: 1222

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    pretty much the Bundutop imo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    718
    Thanked: 1897

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Bundutop. 100%. Main disadvantage is it takes most of your roof rack, relative to others that fold.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    47
    Posts
    748
    Thanked: 67

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    This is always such an open question as everyone's requirements and budget differs.

    I have had the normal (Tentco eg) rooftop tent on my vehicle, then I fitted two of them, then I fitted the howling moon family rooftop.

    After this I tried the clamshell and decided after one trip it is not my cup of tea so had to look for something else.

    Budutop looked nice but was just out of my budget so I did not consider it as an option for myself.

    At the last 4x4 show at Swartkops I came across the Moremi sport ... https://customcanopies4all.co.za/mor...-rooftop-tent/

    I fitted one of these, and I am not looking back, best tent for myself ever fitted and used.

    Jan, the owner is willing to make changes should you require any and also fitted 2 solar panels on mine as per my requirements as well as usb points and hella plug inside.

    So for me it is the Best RTT - for yourself......
    Last edited by offroadbiker; 2021/02/14 at 10:10 AM.
    Dirk
    Member - 4x4 Community
    Member - 4x4 Action Group (0044)
    Member - V Owners Group (VOG 081)
    Member - patrol4x4 forum

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to offroadbiker For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    460
    Thanked: 264

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    This depends what you want. Full hard shell type RTT that covers the whole rack? or a more traditional RTT that leaves space for Jerry cans, wood, ammo boxes etc?

    I don't think one can go wrong with Alucab, Bundu, Skycamper, or Eezi Awn for the hard shell full RTT option. There are a few others.

    For a traditional RTT Frontrunner, Echo4x4 and Eezi Awn have great options and so does Howling moon.

    To decide what is best you need to be more specific regarding criteria. Is money an issue?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    718
    Thanked: 1897

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    This depends what you want. Full hard shell type RTT that covers the whole rack? or a more traditional RTT that leaves space for Jerry cans, wood, ammo boxes etc?

    I don't think one can go wrong with Alucab, Bundu, Skycamper, or Eezi Awn for the hard shell full RTT option. There are a few others.

    For a traditional RTT Frontrunner, Echo4x4 and Eezi Awn have great options and so does Howling moon.


    To decide what is best you need to be more specific regarding criteria. Is money an issue?

    A friend has skycamper /ikamper and I used it for a while. Ridiculously expensive prices, and the mattress is terrible. Yet, not enough room inside to leave a topper in. But the big one is huge - so an option for family with small kids. But that price. Nuts.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/02/14 at 12:18 PM.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    I have the AluCab Gen 3 and I love it ... I am a big guy (66) and sleep super well in it. Paired with the shadow awn and camp set up is literally minutes which is a big thing for me! The build quality is second to none on all the Alucab products!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Gen 3.1. also addresses a few niggly issues, including a condensation mat, side rain cover, and biggie telescopic ladder. All can be retrofitted to the Gen 3 though.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessed For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,077
    Thanked: 1564

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Since everyone will just recommend what they use as being the "best" - you might as well have just added a poll and counted votes.
    Alucab quality is superior to all the other RTT's on the market.
    ZS1ETphonehome

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bushveld
    Posts
    242
    Thanked: 32

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    For hardshell iKamper. Easy setup, about 80kg and large inside compared to others.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Choppie81 For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Quote Originally Posted by offroadbiker View Post
    This is always such an open question as everyone's requirements and budget differs.

    I have had the normal (Tentco eg) rooftop tent on my vehicle, then I fitted two of them, then I fitted the howling moon family rooftop.

    After this I tried the clamshell and decided after one trip it is not my cup of tea so had to look for something else.

    Budutop looked nice but was just out of my budget so I did not consider it as an option for myself.

    At the last 4x4 show at Swartkops I came across the Moremi sport ... https://customcanopies4all.co.za/mor...-rooftop-tent/

    I fitted one of these, and I am not looking back, best tent for myself ever fitted and used.

    Jan, the owner is willing to make changes should you require any and also fitted 2 solar panels on mine as per my requirements as well as usb points and hella plug inside.

    So for me it is the Best RTT - for yourself......
    Hi Dirk, I'm in the same boat as you, the Bundutop looks great, but it's a bit out my price range (and also you can't carry much on the roof, basically just a single solar panel).
    I have been looking at the Moremi Sport as the you could carry solar and surfboards on top, but there isn't many real world reviews of them online.
    How do they handle in bad weather? Especially around the front and rear windows, was wondering if rain would get in there as there doesn't seem to be a rain cover like there is on the side.

    Also which size did you go for? the standard size or the bigger one? I see the standard one is 1.35m wide by 2m long and was wondering if it might feel cramped or not?

    Cheers

  17. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    47
    Posts
    748
    Thanked: 67

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Quote Originally Posted by woogs View Post
    Hi Dirk, I'm in the same boat as you, the Bundutop looks great, but it's a bit out my price range (and also you can't carry much on the roof, basically just a single solar panel).
    I have been looking at the Moremi Sport as the you could carry solar and surfboards on top, but there isn't many real world reviews of them online.
    How do they handle in bad weather? Especially around the front and rear windows, was wondering if rain would get in there as there doesn't seem to be a rain cover like there is on the side.

    Also which size did you go for? the standard size or the bigger one? I see the standard one is 1.35m wide by 2m long and was wondering if it might feel cramped or not?

    Cheers
    I was in Bots and Kgalagadi Last year Feb and March, we had some rain on a few occasions, but I did not detect any water coming in anywhere.

    I must however say, I always get these cans which you seal canvas with and seal any canvas products that I acquire just to be sure.

    Mine is 1.35 x 1.9m (Custom size) and there was more than enough space in there and definitely more than double that of a clamshell.

    We were 2 adults in the tent and space was not a problem for me at all. What is nice is that you can open all 4 windows as well when hot at it lets through a nice breeze.
    Dirk
    Member - 4x4 Community
    Member - 4x4 Action Group (0044)
    Member - V Owners Group (VOG 081)
    Member - patrol4x4 forum

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to offroadbiker For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hartbeespoortdam
    Age
    53
    Posts
    265
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Must say the Budutop looks great...waiting for pricing from them..
    Land Cruiser 100 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser 200 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser FJ45
    KTM 990S

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Potgietersrus
    Age
    32
    Posts
    64
    Thanked: 342

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Have a look at the moremi sport.

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Age
    47
    Posts
    242
    Thanked: 75

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Many Vehicle Models arent designed for a lot of weight above. And the Roof-Racks often arent rated better.. This Video helps I guess

    I STUFFED UP!! Overloaded my Roof

    https://youtu.be/r32xd9z4SZ4

    Found this helpful Video at the German Buschtaxi Forum

    Many are overloaded with just the RTT itself.

    Save weight where you can!

    I did wrote about the general overweight Topic of our modded rigs in german and english language




    4x4tripping
    Last edited by 4x4tripping; 2021/02/17 at 09:12 PM.
    ___________________________________________
    Transafrica with a well equipped Land Cruiser 200
    http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4tripping For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Hi all,

    I found this thread and saw the mention of the Moremi Sport. I currently own a Suzuki Jimny Gen 3 and have been interested in a Moremi Sport for some time now. Originally it showed a weight of 38kg on all the pages but now it's 75kg - 85kg. Is this potentially to heavy for a Jimny, Especially when off-roading? I would probably have it mounted to my Front Runner Roof Rack.

    Kind Regards,
    Davin Hansen

  24. #18
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,077
    Thanked: 1564

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kradenko View Post
    Hi all,

    I found this thread and saw the mention of the Moremi Sport. I currently own a Suzuki Jimny Gen 3 and have been interested in a Moremi Sport for some time now. Originally it showed a weight of 38kg on all the pages but now it's 75kg - 85kg. Is this potentially to heavy for a Jimny, Especially when off-roading? I would probably have it mounted to my Front Runner Roof Rack.

    Kind Regards,
    Davin Hansen
    According to this page, it can go on a Jimny and the standard one weighs 48kg (sleeps 2)

    Edit: I also see other sites list it as 84 / 85 etc. Perhaps a good idea to contact a distributor direct.
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2021/02/18 at 06:06 AM.
    ZS1ETphonehome

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    14
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    The Bush Company Gen 2 Alpha.
    Quality construction, fantastic side extrusions for accessories.

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

    Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    According to this page, it can go on a Jimny and the standard one weighs 48kg (sleeps 2)

    Edit: I also see other sites list it as 84 / 85 etc. Perhaps a good idea to contact a distributor direct.
    I see what you say. Interesting

    Saw it here on their site at the bottom https://customcanopies4all.co.za/mor...-rooftop-tent/
    Last edited by Kradenko; 2021/02/18 at 08:41 AM.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kradenko For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •