Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Best RTT for 2021?

What I don't understand is what happened to the good old 1.4m RTTs going for around R12k. The ones that are very quick to open/close and take minimal roof space.

Practically, what makes these R50k jobbies so much better apart from probably 30 seconds less open/close time? A R35k+ difference must surely justify something absolutely extraordinary given even the big con of taking up the whole roof.

What am I missing here?
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

What am I missing here?
    A lot.
    ZS1ETphonehome

What I don't understand is what happened to the good old 1.4m RTTs going for around R12k. The ones that are very quick to open/close and take minimal roof space.

Practically, what makes these R50k jobbies so much better apart from probably 30 seconds less open/close time? A R35k+ difference must surely justify something absolutely extraordinary given even the big con of taking up the whole roof.

What am I missing here?
    Well for one not all RTTs cost R50k. Mine was R16k ish

For me the integral cover and not needing to wrestle a wet dusty cover on each morning was worth R4k

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    For me the integral cover and not needing to wrestle a wet dusty cover on each morning was worth R4k
    That makes sense and I'd also pay R5k odd more for that benefit.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

That makes sense and I'd also pay R5k odd more for that benefit.
    When you are short (like me) and getting old (like me) it is really nice not to have to climb up on top or up the side of the vehicle to tuck things in and zip covers on. It’s also nice to make the bed once - and when it’s time to go to bed just climb in. When it’s time to leave, bush a button and drive away. This is particularly true for early morning game drives.

also in weather, a taught tent as is the case with hard shells a d particularly the bundutop, you don’t have any canvas flapping.

Yes- it takes up most of the roof rack. On most vehicles the rack plus the tent will be near the roof load limit anyway. You also have the ability to mount some (light) things like solar on the hard shell.

Lastly - there is a very big difference in mattress comfort.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/04/20 at 07:53 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3