Default Long range tank problems LC 76 wagon

Hi all
    I was not too happy with the mounting of the long range tank which came with the vehicle fitted by PO. I'll get the fitting right ( It's only metal, we can out think it) but I would like to ask the manufactures a few questions? The filler rubber is hard and brittle and I want to replace it, and the breather system looks a bit mickey mouse. (perhaps why she ocasionally airlocks when filling).
    Anyway does anyone recognise the make.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forht...attach/jpg.gif

Default Re: Long range tank problems LC 76 wagon

Sorry, I had a few finger problems.

The main problem is that the tank is too high for the fittings, which look like the Toyota OEM hangers. Be nice to know if the tank manufacturer provided lonbger hangers which the arcehole first owner did not fit. With the habgers in the pics, the tank gets pushed into the underside of the body ( Where I. have sprayed with red oxide).
    Yes I could fit spacers but would really like to do it properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6419.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	614244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6423.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	614245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6424.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	614246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6431.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	614247  

The OEM tank is attached by two steel straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You could well be right about the straps, but interesting where the black brackets come from. They are definately OEM, too good a quality for a aftermarket tank manufacture. It's possible that the straps bolt into these brackets.

Anyway, the tank is solid enough, just badly finnshed so a bit of fileing and grinding and spacers to make it all fit properly. Now just to find a new hose to connect it to the filler, this one is a bit brittle, making me think it was origionaly a water hose.

Still don't know who made this tank, its similar to the Iron Man, so maybe a local knockoff. I downloaded the Iron Man manual, and got some usefull hints and tips, many of which had not been addressed by the installer of my tank. I have seals for the sender and pickup on order, in case they did not mod the sender and tubes properly for the larger tank.

I love my 76 so much, but every so called addition which the OP was so proud of, and charged for, has had to be reworked. hoo boy.

G

The last long range tank I saw installed, they removed the upper rails (77133 & 77134 in the diagram above) as well as the straps. The tank was then mounted using the same holes as the upper rails, but with new mounts.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2021/05/03 at 05:12 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Those brackets of yours must be aftermarket.
    The OEM brackets are like in the diagram.

V8 and straight 6 difference??

No matter really, I'll use what I have , and do what I seem to do a lot of, Finishing off someone elses work.
    I checked the fuel pipe, and it's actually correct, it goes all the way to the bottom of the tank with a Toyota pre filter nog al. Does not seem to have been modified so i really am suprised. The sender however did not have the mod suggested in the Iron Man manual. You need to straighten two of the bends to make it reach deeper.
    Which I will do. Before pulling the tank I tried to use as much fuel as possible and the guage had been on E with the light on for quite a few kays, and I still had close to one Jerry full when I drained it.
    My last problem is that Toyota do not have the 45mm filler rubber in stock and the one I have is not lekker, i think its a modified radiator hose. I'll pop down to the auto rubber place in Boksburg and see if they can help.

G

The reality is very few fitment shops do proper installations. There is a very good reason why I do everything myself.

there you go
    77631 on the front of the tank, they boltinto the body e very close to the chassis bar which holds the shocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    V8 and straight 6 difference??

My last problem is that Toyota do not have the 45mm filler rubber in stock and the one I have is not lekker, i think its a modified radiator hose. I'll pop down to the auto rubber place in Boksburg and see if they can help.

G
    George, when I did my troopy LRT I went through much the same.Diesel is way more corrosive on rubber, than petrol so you need a special "diesel safe" type rubber.Most places will have hose that is rated as "fuel safe" but not necessarily "diesel safe".I ended up finding the correct size and quality rubber for the filler hose from a marine hydraulics place that makes up hoses to do diesel and other fuel transfers.

As for the sender you need to bend it untill the float just touches the bottom of the tank when the sender is at its lowest point.

2c
    Last edited by TheoM; 2021/05/04 at 08:30 AM.
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold and bought her Back !)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

Hey Theo, long time no chat.
    Got most of it sorted thanks.
    Just waiting for sender and fuel outlet seals and we are done. Still curious about the tank supplier. No ways this tank fit properly
    On those hangers without a spacer. Otherwise the top hits the body with all the regular long term results. Need a good 10mm of spacing and filing to align properly.
    G