Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl




Results 1 to 20 of 21

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Riebeek Kasteel
    Posts
    92
    Thanked: 46

    Default Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32xd9z4SZ4

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMx232haRyo


    Interesting about roof racks - I am only starting my overlanding journey now so I found this rather interesting so thought I would share, probably common knowledge to most but hey, you never know...I kinda just find it weird that a Hilux can legally only carry 75kg on its roof (purely going by this vid, I did not look it up myself) ... this includes the weight of the rack ... seems a bit low but hey-ho ...I learnt something new today ...
    Last edited by flyfisherman; 2021/02/10 at 11:20 AM.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flyfisherman For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    1,416
    Thanked: 1471

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Very important factor in any vehicle build and setup choices, but guess most ignore this, or are oblivious to the actual weight on their roof. I for one has never weighed all the stuff on the RR to compare to vehicle specific roof load rating. I did two trips, Bots and Moz with possibly exceeding the LC 80's roof load rating?

    You see some seriously overloaded RR's, 80L of fuel, 40L water, RTT, HLJ, big axe, lights, solar panel(s), etc etc. This may be +250Kg.

    So it opens the argument of towing an offroad trailer, even a small Genie or whatever purely to share the load and bring you back into the vehicle safety ratings.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    Current: 2018 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play , 2019 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    Past Cruisers: 2013 200 4.6 Petrol V8. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst , 2014 79 V8 DC - The tow king. 2001 105 4.5 EFI. 2013 FJ Cruiser. 1996 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto. 1989 Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto (UK).
    Past Jeeps: 2001 Jeep TJ 4L - modified to the extreme, 2006 Jeep Cherokee - platkar
    First 4x4: 1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - we had endless fun!

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,648
    Thanked: 4883

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    .
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2021/02/10 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Fascetious comment
    Ettienne de Kock

    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith


    2000 Disco Td5
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,985
    Thanked: 2006

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    I only watched one of the two.

    However, 75kg is not far below average, and very few vehicles have a roof load limit over 100kg. I have certainly significantly overloaded my roof many times (and gone off-road like that), and I suspect most people with roof racks are in the same boat.

    Frankly, it's almost impossible to put anything worth while on a car's roof without exceeding the load limit. Even the on-road load limit.

    But take it one step further: do you know what your vehicle ways? By the time I have filled my fuel tanks and loaded (empty) fridge and my family aboard, my car is at it's GVM. That's no food, no camping equipment. And despite my signature, there really isn't all that much on my car. Just some bash plates, rock sliders, larger fuel tanks, a very light bull bar, a light drawer system and a roof rack with awning and jack.

    I am not condoning it, just stating a fact. It is impossible to overland with a typical SUV and a family of 4 without overloading it, unless you have everything in a trailer. And I think most overlanding-prepped bakkies are probably overloaded too.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/02/10 at 12:19 PM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Riebeek Kasteel
    Posts
    92
    Thanked: 46

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I only watched one of the two.

    However, 75kg is not far below average, and very few vehicles have a roof load limit over 100kg. I have certainly significantly overloaded my roof many times (and gone off-road like that), and I suspect most people with roof racks are in the same boat.

    Frankly, it's almost impossible to put anything worth while on a car's roof without exceeding the load limit. Even the on-road load limit.

    But take it one step further: do you know what your vehicle ways? By the time I have filled my fuel tanks and loaded (empty) fridge and my family aboard, my car is at it's GVM. That's no food, no camping equipment. And despite my signature, there really isn't all that much on my car. Just some bash plates, rock sliders, larger fuel tanks, a very light bull bar, a light drawer system and a roof rack with awning and jack.

    I am not condoning it, just stating a fact. It is impossible to overland with a typical SUV and a family of 4 without overloading it, unless you have everything in a trailer. And I think most overlanding-prepped bakkies are probably overloaded too.
    Looking at some of them on the road I can completely agree that some of them must be overloaded - curious I wonder what would happen if an overloaded vehicle is in an accident and, worst case scenario there are fatalities etc etc - could an overloaded vehicle affect being help responsible or affect an insurance payout if for example you are cruising along on a road and you somehow crash or your vehicle is written off?
    Last edited by flyfisherman; 2021/02/10 at 12:59 PM.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to flyfisherman For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,648
    Thanked: 4883

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post
    Looking at some of them on the road I can completely agree that some of them must be overloaded - curious I wonder what would happen if an overloaded vehicle is in an accident and, worst case scenario there are fatalities etc etc - could an overloaded vehicle affect being help responsible or affect an insurance payout if for example you are cruising along on a road and you somehow crash or your vehicle is written off?
    Short answer - yes. I've been there.

    EDIT: Not the fatalities bit. Just the bit where Insurance Company gave me the finger.
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2021/02/10 at 06:18 PM.
    Ettienne de Kock

    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith


    2000 Disco Td5
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  11. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    56
    Posts
    431
    Thanked: 1150

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    I have a LC 100 series and the max roof rack carrying capacity is 200 kg. (Including the weight of the roof rack itself.
    With RTT, extra spare tyre, gas bottle, Jerry can, Hi-Lift Jack, awning, etc. I am at about full capacity.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    4,331
    Thanked: 2651

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    I'll be seriously ticked off if I only find out afterwards that the weight rating drops even more if going off road, I never even thought of something like this.

    A thought though do the vehicle manufacturers give both a static and dynamic load rating? Say for argument sake you get a rack and RTT which fits in the 75 kg limit of the Hilux so all legal, but now you add a static load, 2 adult bodies say 160 kg to that. Now something happens to your roof a side pillar cracks or whatever, will the manufacturer honor the warranty?
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    62
    Posts
    559
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Interesting thing, at Land Rover Experience they tell you that for example, an old Defender's roll-over angle is 35°, and with a roofrack alone it comes down to 18°. This was tested on the tilting table at Girotech. One cannot underestimate the effect it has on handling, safety and offroad ability.

    "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mufie For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,443
    Thanked: 638

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Ronnie only made this video due to comment about fellow Aussie tuber Tyler Thompson. He actually had first hand experience. Traveling off road his dislodged from his Navara. Ripped out of the roof with rooftop tent and all. Minor damage other than holes in roof. Did investigation and found about off road. Credit to Ronnie for crediting Tyler who is newish to yet and fellow aussie

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    31
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    Ronnie only made this video due to comment about fellow Aussie tuber Tyler Thompson. He actually had first hand experience. Traveling off road his dislodged from his Navara. Ripped out of the roof with rooftop tent and all. Minor damage other than holes in roof. Did investigation and found about off road. Credit to Ronnie for crediting Tyler who is newish to yet and fellow aussie
    here are the relevant videos showing Tyler Thompson’s Rhino Rack that tore off his bakkie roof:

    everything tore off my roof...
    https://youtu.be/0np7vkn87J8

    is it worth getting a tray and canopy?
    https://youtu.be/IfwgtQYtBnE

    is your roof rack a Disaster waiting to happen ?
    https://youtu.be/eMx232haRyo
    Last edited by ceres01; 2021/02/14 at 07:46 PM. Reason: the spelling gremlin emerged

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    31
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    Ronnie only made this video due to comment about fellow Aussie tuber Tyler Thompson. He actually had first hand experience. Traveling off road his dislodged from his Navara. Ripped out of the roof with rooftop tent and all. Minor damage other than holes in roof. Did investigation and found about off road. Credit to Ronnie for crediting Tyler who is newish to yet and fellow aussie
    Hindsight is always 20/20 and listening to what ASPW says in his 2019 video “ROOF RACKS - the GREAT, the ORDINARY and the AWFUL. How to select the right one”, he refers several times to the load-carrying capacity of roof racks, of the vehicle’s roof, the lateral movements during offroading that cause the most damage, and importantly the feet / fitment system to the roof that is the point of failure in 90% of cases:

    https://youtu.be/-JmNPBKIyVE

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ceres01 For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Putzonderwater
    Posts
    7,542
    Thanked: 1029

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Very interesting topic. I watched the videos looked at the carry capacity ratings and the calculations, but I am afraid the calculations goes deeper than what is on the white board in the one video. Let's look at a fundamental question that should be addresses in the calculations.

    What happens to Mass in Motion?

    Mmmmmm....
    Regards

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Posts
    1,416
    Thanked: 1471

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Very interesting topic. I watched the videos looked at the carry capacity ratings and the calculations, but I am afraid the calculations goes deeper than what is on the white board in the one video. Let's look at a fundamental question that should be addresses in the calculations.

    What happens to Mass in Motion?

    Mmmmmm....
    Therein lies a massive risk, they guys screaming along at 120k's/h in the dunes with RTT etc on the RR to concur that huge climb. Imagine the forces applied to the mounting points then. Or an emergency brake scenario.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    Current: 2018 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play , 2019 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    Past Cruisers: 2013 200 4.6 Petrol V8. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst , 2014 79 V8 DC - The tow king. 2001 105 4.5 EFI. 2013 FJ Cruiser. 1996 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto. 1989 Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto (UK).
    Past Jeeps: 2001 Jeep TJ 4L - modified to the extreme, 2006 Jeep Cherokee - platkar
    First 4x4: 1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - we had endless fun!

  22. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    St Albans
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,618
    Thanked: 1188

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Ronny Dahl - I STUFFED UP!! Overloaded my Roof
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

  23. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    65
    Posts
    567
    Thanked: 252

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Read the handbook, it is for your own safety, ....... and other road users.
    Not too long ago a dealer had a long "discussion" with a client that blamed Suzuki for making crap Jimny's, and then proceeded to post a video of said, heavily overloaded roof rack, coming down Van Zyl's or Bobbejaans, cannot remember.
    The vehicle limits are there, for your safety.......
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

  24. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanked: 1559

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    Read the handbook, it is for your own safety, ....... and other road users.
    Not too long ago a dealer had a long "discussion" with a client that blamed Suzuki for making crap Jimny's, and then proceeded to post a video of said, heavily overloaded roof rack, coming down Van Zyl's or Bobbejaans, cannot remember.
    The vehicle limits are there, for your safety.......
    100%!!!



  25. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sandton
    Age
    37
    Posts
    169
    Thanked: 156

    Default Re: Interesting video about roof racks - Ronny Dahl

    Anyone know the roof carrying capacity of the new Fortuner? I chatted extensively to the Front Runner guys and they say the rack can take 150kg dynamic, 300 static, but no mention of the toyota specs.

    We did do our last Botswana trip with 150kg on the rack, and had no issues despite pretty hectic 4x4'ing. But I have seen a number of posts along these lines recently, and I am changing the layout on my rack for a big Mozam trip we have planned, so want to plan appropriately.

    150kg does hugely effect the handling of the vehicle, but it is only that heavy riiiiight after a fuel/water stop, then I drain the cans up top first.
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/c/timhulme for my latest overlanding vlog!

    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

    @timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •