Ctek Sense (Nonsense)

Default Ctek Sense (Nonsense)

Hi All plse help. Problem.

I purchased a Ctek dual 250s battery charger. It has been professionally installed.
    I tells me it is working. But without a peep into the battery it is meaningless. My previously fully operational and useful National Luna battery monitor had to be sacrificed. Without a monitor you drive (literally when things go wrong) in the dark.

So no problem simply install a Ctek Battery Sense. I purchased and installed.

Done.

Now evidently I have to download some or other programme from Google Play to get this gimmick to work on my phone.

Done

Problem is it does not even pair let alone get me past the terms and conditions.

So no use whatever? How does this work?

(What is a good alternative - I have in mind sending this rubbish straight back.)

Default Re: Ctek Sense (Nonsense)

The monitor from the old national luna would still work, but better to buy the dual one (and attach to each battery). Take that ctec dingle back. See pic

One more thing....to see amp usage and % of battery remaining etc, switch to victory. They have a battery monitor with a shunt its called a BM702 with Bluetooth so you can monitor from your phone...very very useful. The kit to go with that or the equivalent of the check 205 is the orion dc to dc 12-12 30amp....but it doesn't do solar, you would need to buy another regulator for your solar. Hope this makes sense...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to samkoch For This Useful Post:

Unhappy Re: Ctek Sense (Nonsense)

That is the exact National Luna that I have. The guy at Frontrunner says it does not work with the Vtec and had to be disabled. It was suggested I get the Vtec Battery Sense.

My National Luna monitor is running with my Ctek setup. It will work on any DC 12V system. It is a volt meter with alarm settings.
    Last edited by grips; 2021/02/13 at 04:45 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Thank you - I will be back and demand that it be re-activated. The Ctek Sense is going back.

Either the Ctek sense thingy is faulty, or you have an old Android version on your phone.....
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 138 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 131 000 km

Absolute rubbish.

It loses connection, sometimes you have to reboot the phone to get comms between phone and device working again.
    On my last holiday we weren't driving as much. Aux battery went down beyond where the software should have warned me. Not a peep

And not only me having hassles. Android reviews here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

I must be honest this whole concept of doing everything from one's cellphone is not to my taste, and especially when going camping.

When going camping one of my specific goals is to be less reliant on my phone. furthermore, phones are typically relatively fragile devices, and are easily lost or stolen too.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/02/15 at 05:38 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Yes finally got it to talk to the battery and it reports battery is 100%

Then ran the fridge overnight. Evidently battery is STILL 100%.

But the voltage has come down to 12.1 Volt - at what point does it cut off the load as reaching too low SOC??
    By my reckoning the battery cannot be more than 30% at this voltage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVS...ature=youtu.be
    Separate gauge or Cellphone app.

This is the answer, the ONLY answer.....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/02/15 at 02:53 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by samkoch View Post
    The monitor from the old national luna would still work, but better to buy the dual one (and attach to each battery). Take that ctec dingle back. See pic
    Monitor, my foot. That is only a volt meter, does not tell you anything much or anything useful, like amps in and amps out.....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2021/02/15 at 03:05 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Jhb area for now, maybe will look at moving WC way, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires.
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Its better than nothing......and I did say he should consider the victory bm702...

Quote Originally Posted by samkoch View Post
    Its better than nothing......and I did say he should consider the victory bm702...
    Victron. Not Victory.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Well I thank both of you. The NL voltmeter at least does what it says. It also shuts down at a chosen low voltage and permits you to link both batteries.

But yes, goedkoop koop is duur koop.

I have Victron solar equipment at home and it is incomparable in reliability and durability.

BUT can one set it to protect the battery?

The most important and in truth ONLY issue is not to run down the battery to where it suffers permanent damage. If you run down I lead acid deep cycle to ZERO it is Kaput. Immediately. Right there.

So you go walking and forget your battery is busy doing something or another and when you come back your battery is a lead block.

It is easy to estimate battery health by running for instance a fridge through the night and then switch off, give it an hour and check voltage. You can also estimate SOC in the same way - by checking voltage.

But how do you ENSURE low SOC cut-out??

Victron also has a battery low voltage cut out device...but they cost about R1000!!! https://sunstore.co.za/products/vict...YaAoodEALw_wcB

Does your fridge not have a low-voltage cutout?
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Get one of the cheap coulomb meters on amazon. I do not think you will be looking at your phone while driving. When you stop, have a quick squiz to see if battery is charged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive87 View Post
    Hi All plse help. Problem.

I purchased a Ctek dual 250s battery charger. It has been professionally installed.
    I tells me it is working. But without a peep into the battery it is meaningless. My previously fully operational and useful National Luna battery monitor had to be sacrificed. Without a monitor you drive (literally when things go wrong) in the dark.

So no problem simply install a Ctek Battery Sense. I purchased and installed.

Done.

Now evidently I have to download some or other programme from Google Play to get this gimmick to work on my phone.

Done

Problem is it does not even pair let alone get me past the terms and conditions.

So no use whatever? How does this work?

(What is a good alternative - I have in mind sending this rubbish straight back.)
    2002 Discovery td5