Default New Engine: 90 Prado KZ-TE

Hi All

Time for a new motor. I have commented in one or 2 threads about my issues, but it's time top get real and decide on my next steps. This is a family touring car. We do about only 7k - 11k km max per year. This is our 4th year with it.

Questions:
    NEW vs Rebuild?
    Who to trust in GP?
    Budget?

2000 90 series has 249,000km on the clock (which I think is a lie). Have done a lot of work thus far: Injectors, Diesel pump, glow plugs, starter, radiator, clutch, almost all rubbers and bushes under the belly, control arms, steering rack, wheel bearings, ext.

Did compression test, rated cylinder 1 to 4 as follows:
    Toyota specs above 3.0.

Do I rebuild or do we look for a replacement motor?

The car is currently with Koos Potgieter at Gear Down in Bronkhorstspruit. Apparently he used to be chief mechanic at Toyota Dalmas. Does anybody know Koos and the work they do. Had 2 great referrals hence the car is there for now. Don't know Koos at all.
    The car was at KOOPS in Gesina. Do I rather take it back there? Anyone have any feedback on them?
    OR are there overwhelming referrals for someone else in PRT area (in which case I'm putting all my trust in forum people).

I have 2 estimates from Koos for now:
    Replacement KZ-TE for R29k and labour of R8.5k
    Rebuild of around R36k
    Are these reasonable? Do I need to look elsewhere?

I did have a day of pondering over something like a V8 conversion, but apart from the cost, the ability to have some bush mechanic in rural Africa to do some repairs becomes quite challenging if the vehicle is not standard.

Lastly I Suppose other option is sell it as is, but not guessing I'll get much for it then. Especially after all this Covid & other financial nonsense the budget isn't great, but I also don't want to be penny wise & pound foolish.

Your advise will be dearly appreciated!

(If you would like my bank details for a contribution that could be arranged...hehehe)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Love change!

Past:
    Isuzu 2.8 Single cab
    Land Rover Defender Tdi 110
    Mitsubishi Pajero 2800 LWB
    Land Rover Defender Tdi 90
    Toyota Hilux 2.7i
    Toyota Prado KZTE series 90
    What's next....?

Default Re: New Engine: 90 Prado KZ-TE

Look the KZTE is a bullet proof engine, except for the cylinder head which is a bad design. Usual option is to fit an AMC head and the problem is solved. You have spent all the money on the other things, so overhauling would have been my choice. A replacement engine again leaves you with an unknown entity.

Do you know what is wrong with the engine? Is the compression loss due to rings or valves?
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I would go for the rebuild/overhaul.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

I think itís better to rebuild your own engine with itís known issues, rather than start afresh with new, unknown issues. AMC head would be good, as well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

Thanks Chaps!

Consensus is then to overhaul. We haven't opened it up yet so not sure what the exact problems are. This will be the next step. Will ask about AMC head, that's a good catch, thanks.

Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted.
    Love change!

Past:
    Isuzu 2.8 Single cab
    Toyota Hilux 2.7i
    What's next....?

When I was visiting in the UK some years ago I parked next to a 90 series Prado and it had a D4D engine.

I remember reading on this forum about someone who regularly transplants D4D motors into a variety of vehicles.

Maybe do a search and perhaps he can be of assistance.

Geoffth

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffth View Post
    When I was visiting in the UK some years ago I parked next to a 90 series Prado and it had a D4D engine.

I remember reading on this forum about someone who regularly transplants D4D motors into a variety of vehicles.

Maybe do a search and perhaps he can be of assistance.

Geoffth
    The D4D was factory fitted on the 90s for sure, in the early 2000 , there are many around.

Whether it's a straight swap with the kzte or not I don't know... Henry on here would know.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    The D4D was factory fitted on the 90s for sure, in the early 2000 , there are many around.

Whether it's a straight swap with the kzte or not I don't know... Henry on here would know.
    Nope.

The late LC Colorado (UK branding for Prado 90) all had KZTE.

The late model intercooler-fitted KZTEs were marked D4D, but were not really the 1KD d4d motor.

Good day all.
    The engin has been rebuilt and runs smoothly...but...
    Shortly after the solenoid on the diesel pump had a short. Fixed that and the car now runs very loud. Obviously the pump does not retard and over fuels while idling. Testes other second hand pump and same issue.

By my mind one of three issues:
    control box
    Connection
    Solenoid.

There are talks of a manual diesel pump which does not require the control box or solenoid but I donít know anything about it.

Any suggestions or contact I can try?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d18055ca-426d-48a9-9ec4-34165280fb00.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	614015
    Love change!

Past:
    Isuzu 2.8 Single cab
    Toyota Hilux 2.7i
    What's next....?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    I think itís better to rebuild your own engine with itís known issues, rather than start afresh with new, unknown issues. AMC head would be good, as well.
    Import an engine from Japan. They are dirt cheap, very good and are more powerful (JDM are all intercooled versions 110kw/350Nm). You may even emd up spending less.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Nope.

The late LC Colorado (UK branding for Prado 90) all had KZTE.

The late model intercooler-fitted KZTEs were marked D4D, but were not really the 1KD d4d motor.

Interesting, some 90s Prado definitely came out with the 1KD. I have seen them. Even some late Japanese spec Hilux Surfs were fitted with it.

Check the 90s Prado section on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...the%20platform.

Maybe not the Colorado in UK/Europe?

Last edited by tashtego9; 2021/04/30 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PHS101 View Post
    Hi AllTime for a new motor. I have commented in one or 2 threads about my issues, but it's time top get real and decide on my next steps. This is a family touring car. We do about only 7k - 11k km max per year. This is our 4th year with it. Questions:NEW vs Rebuild?Who to trust in GP?Budget?2000 90 series has 249,000km on the clock (which I think is a lie). Have done a lot of work thus far: Injectors, Diesel pump, glow plugs, starter, radiator, clutch, almost all rubbers and bushes under the belly, control arms, steering rack, wheel bearings, ext. Did compression test, rated cylinder 1 to 4 as follows:3.02.01.91.6 Toyota specs above 3.0. Do I rebuild or do we look for a replacement motor? The car is currently with Koos Potgieter at Gear Down in Bronkhorstspruit. Apparently he used to be chief mechanic at Toyota Dalmas. Does anybody know Koos and the work they do. Had 2 great referrals hence the car is there for now. Don't know Koos at all. The car was at KOOPS in Gesina. Do I rather take it back there? Anyone have any feedback on them? OR are there overwhelming referrals for someone else in PRT area (in which case I'm putting all my trust in forum people). I have 2 estimates from Koos for now:Replacement KZ-TE for R29k and labour of R8.5kRebuild of around R36kAre these reasonable? Do I need to look elsewhere? I did have a day of pondering over something like a V8 conversion, but apart from the cost, the ability to have some bush mechanic in rural Africa to do some repairs becomes quite challenging if the vehicle is not standard. Lastly I Suppose other option is sell it as is, but not guessing I'll get much for it then. Especially after all this Covid & other financial nonsense the budget isn't great, but I also don't want to be penny wise & pound foolish. Your advise will be dearly appreciated! (If you would like my bank details for a contribution that could be arranged...hehehe)
    My experience as follow:1. Ask Toyota the cost of a new sub-assembly to replace the engine you have. Not sure but think you get new engine number. Go to SAP and enquire documents needed to change engine number, otherwise the vehicle will be impounded when crossing a border, either RSA or any of other countries as engine number on engine will differ from one of ownership document. Been there2. Replacing with Remanufactured engine, nope, I had many issues and no guarentees.3 Overhauling current engine is safest bet. But then you have to trust your mechaninc and have confidence that he is using genuine Toyota Parts. I learned that lesson the hard way. If they go about it. I will seek advice, maybe you just need new rings. These moderm engines ar so well build that often you cannot bore them. You just replace pistons. Speak to a few mechanics, somewhere along the line you will get a clearer picture.Personal opinion is I will sell it and get one with less mileage and good service history.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Import an engine from Japan. They are dirt cheap, very good and are more powerful (JDM are all intercooled versions 110kw/350Nm). You may even emd up spending less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan H View Post
    My experience as follow:1. Ask Toyota the cost of a new sub-assembly to replace the engine you have. Not sure but think you get new engine number. Go to SAP and enquire documents needed to change engine number, otherwise the vehicle will be impounded when crossing a border, either RSA or any of other countries as engine number on engine will differ from one of ownership document. Been there2. Replacing with Remanufactured engine, nope, I had many issues and no guarentees.3 Overhauling current engine is safest bet. But then you have to trust your mechaninc and have confidence that he is using genuine Toyota Parts. I learned that lesson the hard way. If they go about it. I will seek advice, maybe you just need new rings. These moderm engines ar so well build that often you cannot bore them. You just replace pistons. Speak to a few mechanics, somewhere along the line you will get a clearer picture.Personal opinion is I will sell it and get one with less mileage and good service history.
    Gents, the man has already spent the money on rebuilding the engine and is asking for different advice. Has reading the posts in a thread become unfashionable?
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2021/04/30 at 07:00 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Gents, the man has already spent the money on rebuilding the engine and is asking for different advice. Has reading the posts in a thread become unfashionable?

Hi all.
    Does anyone have any advice on diesel pump? Not sure what my next move is here. Is there a manual pump option?

Thanks
    Love change!

Past:
    Isuzu 2.8 Single cab
    Toyota Hilux 2.7i
    What's next....?