Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Are the LC 70 series V8's really THAT problematic in Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Yes, you will probably travel max 100kpu most of the time on good roads, but will be limited by trucks to 80kpu for very long distances, not able to over take it. But for the rest the 1HZ will do fine. Had one still miss it when not on tar.
    awesome offroad - just make sure you dont buy one with the R151 gearbox - think they were years 2007 to 2011 - I had a 2010 76 1Hz gearbox packed up at 63000 km - the seal between transfer box and gearbox failed, draining the gearbox oil into the transfer box resulting in a partial seizure -
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

2. The Following User Says Thank You to putta For This Useful Post:

I did not read all the replies, so here are mine.
    If you want a vehicle for both overlanding and as a daily drive, get the V8. The 1HZ will frustrate you on the open SA roads.

Just know that you can fit as many filters as you want to V8, but it wont keep paraffin out of your pump, it wil only clean the paraffin........ and set you back a GOOD couple thousand of Rands back. Like in a crazy amount.

It has been mentioned.In Africa you cant travel fast.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mapog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by putta View Post
    awesome offroad - just make sure you dont buy one with the R151 gearbox -
    Do they still still have the R151 box? Yes one need to be wary of the limitations of that box. For one don't tow in 5th or labour it is 5th.
    Johan Kriel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Also
    People are quick to mention the mines in Africa are using the V8.
    Just remember that the mine industry have “some” control over the quality of diesel fuel.
    When overlanding in deep Africa, sometimes you need to fill up at some really dodgy places.
    I love the V8, but it is and will always be a high tech motor compared with the great 1HZ.

The 1HZ is the absolute last mechanical engine available in the the world that is fitted to a vehicle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mapog For This Useful Post:

Fact is the 1vd V8 have the same common rail system as the D4D engine. Only thing it is a double D4D system..
    Tech wise the 1vd V8 is on par with the D4D engine. D4D injectors per unit is more expensive than a 1VD V8 injector.

Here were a post oof a forumite operating in the Mid East regarding the 200 Cruisers and dirty fuel. They hit the 500k km mark in these conditions.

Yes sure the 1HZ will hande dirty or contaminated diesel better than the V8.
    But it is not dirty diesel that kills injectors
    but the water in diesel.

There are many samples of 70 Series V8 with 500k km on the clock running around.
    I only know of one V8 Cruiser that had injector failure.
    . But it is far safer to take a petrol vehicle up in Africa. This is why the v6 make sense to me
    Last edited by grips; 2021/02/09 at 06:47 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Yes, you will probably travel max 100kpu most of the time on good roads, but will be limited by trucks to 80kpu for very long distances, not able to over take it. But for the rest the 1HZ will do fine. Had one still miss it when not on tar.

I have heard a few people say this now - are they seriously THAT sluggish that you have hard time to overtake something doing 80-90kph? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    Also

The 1HZ is the absolute last mechanical engine available in the the world that is fitted to a vehicle.
    With all the people talking about the V8 that will vanish due to emissions etc etc...surely the 4.2 will go the same route eventually as it does not meet emission standards? Everything about the 4.2 appeals to me as donkie as it may seem Always loved the old "plaas werk bakkies"

Now to fins a good low mileage 76 wagon

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post
    I have heard a few people say this now - are they seriously THAT sluggish that you have hard time to overtake something doing 80-90kph? :O
    No and yes. You just need be plan a bit better when overtaking as acceleration is a bit slower.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Maybe worth to chat to Voetspore Johan Badenhorst. They run their V8 all over Africa.
    They have deleted the cats by making use of free flow exhaust systems.
    A single trip won't ruin a car and their vehicles are sponsored. Different thing if you pay for everything out of your pocket. Same with the Amarok's which was sponsored and where VW flew a
    mechanic with spares to Kenia, they won't do it for me.

Dirty diesel can be filtered but high sulfur and paraffin not. Beauty of the 1Hz is that it is the only engine available in a 70 series Cruiser in Africa so many of them, parts and knowledge. Gearbox
    since the first 79 was introduced around 1996 is the R151F which is not so strong but only a few in a certain Vin # range had issues.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2021/02/09 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    Beauty of the 1Hz is that it is the only engine available in a 70 series Cruiser in Africa so many of them. .
    Nope.

Many 70 series cruisers mostly outside SA are grey imports running the 1GR 4.0v6 petrol.

But yes there are also many with the 1HZ, those sourced through official Toyota dealerships.

you must be doing a huge overland trip in the deepest darkest Africa to stress about injectors.
    2010 D4 V8 HSE
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8
    1290 KTM ADVENTURE R.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to peter bee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by peter bee View Post
    you must be doing a huge overland trip in the deepest darkest Africa to stress about injectors.
    Yes, absolutely. You see 200 series landcruisers in every single country in Africa. No matter what engine you get you should add a second filter. If you're that worried about fuel get a second tank so you can afford to only fill up at more reputable places.

I've overlanded through ~35 countries in Africa, more than 200k km and only had one experience of bad diesel. In Nigeria a batch, and that was saved by my second filter. If you'd seen the place I had filled up you would have had no sympathy for me, totally my own fault!

I think a lot of tales of bad diesel, and the issues with the v8 are old wives tales and no longer based on reality.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wandering_Aengus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Aengus View Post
    I think a lot of tales of bad diesel, and the issues with the v8 are old wives tales and no longer based on reality.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Aengus View Post
    Yes, absolutely. You see 200 series landcruisers in every single country in Africa.

No matter what engine you get you should add a second filter. Yes

If you're that worried about fuel get a second tank so you can afford to only fill up at more reputable places. Yes

I've overlanded through ~35 countries in Africa, more than 200k km and only had one experience of bad diesel. In Nigeria a batch, and that was saved by my second filter. If you'd seen the place I had filled up you would have had no sympathy for me, totally my own fault! Yes

I think a lot of tales of bad diesel, and the issues with the v8 are old wives tales and no longer based on reality. Yes
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2021/02/15 at 09:07 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Die 79 model is nog beskikbaar met die 4.2 enjin. https://www.toyota.co.za/ranges/land-cruiser-79
    Defender 110 300tdi "Sousie"
    Moenie vra nie...

Ekstras:
    ARB Air-locker
    62mm vlekvrye staal "free flow" uitlaatstelsel
    Langafstand Diesel tenk
    Werk nog aan die res

Quote Originally Posted by Reutlingenboertjie View Post
    Die 79 model is nog beskikbaar met die 4.2 enjin. https://www.toyota.co.za/ranges/land-cruiser-79
    Ek weet ja, die 79 kom nog in die 4.2 in SA, maar ek soek n nuwe 4.2 76 series met n seer hart...

Adding a number of filters before the diesel enters the fuel injection will put more strain on the feed pump (or suction?). I know that the 3.2 Pajero guys are careful with filters and what the standard system can handle. So with a V8 especially, that homework will also have to be done carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    I did not read all the replies, so here are mine.
    If you want a vehicle for both overlanding and as a daily drive, get the V8. The 1HZ will frustrate you on the open SA roads.

Just know that you can fit as many filters as you want to V8, but it wont keep paraffin out of your pump, it wil only clean the paraffin........ and set you back a GOOD couple thousand of Rands back. Like in a crazy amount.

It has been mentioned.In Africa you cant travel fast.
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '05 Honda CR-V RVSI Auto AWD

The D4D V8 Diesel even as Biturbo with 650nm and 289PS had no issue during my Transafrica.

On my 68k miles (110`000km) Travelling through africa, south america and europe I dont had issues with the V8.

Please give attention to the Year I did the transafrica with an Euro4 Spec Diesel Vehicle: 2012. The Fuel was much worse years ago, like this visualisation will show:

Here you will find deeper informations, how the diesel fuel quality did develope in the last years:

Article: Diesel Fuel Quality and Issues to international Travelling with an DPF (diesel particulate filter)

Some people may have thought I`m insane to use such a modern vehicle for travelling at 2012 - but at least today it looks more relaxed.

To refill fuel not at the roadside out of barrels - was a wise decision at 2012 and is wise too at 2021.

Today I would use a MrFunnel Fuelfilter for thoose barrels. But better use normal fuelstations and extending the range with an aux fueltank.

4x4tripping
    Last edited by 4x4tripping; 2021/02/15 at 12:51 PM.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4x4tripping For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tripping View Post

The D4D V8 Diesel even as Biturbo with 650nm and 289PS had no issue during my Transafrica.

On my 68k miles (110`000km) Travelling through africa, south america and europe I dont had issues with the V8.

Please give attention to the Year I did the transafrica with an Euro4 Spec Diesel Vehicle: 2012. The Fuel was much worse years ago, like this visualisation will show:

Here you will find deeper informations, how the diesel fuel quality did develope in the last years:

Article: Diesel Fuel Quality and Issues to international Travelling with an DPF (diesel particulate filter)

Some people may have thought I`m insane to use such a modern vehicle for travelling at 2012 - but at least today it looks more relaxed.

To refill fuel not at the roadside out of barrels - was a wise decision at 2012 and is wise too at 2021.

Today I would use a MrFunnel Fuelfilter for thoose barrels. But better use normal fuelstations and extending the range with an aux fueltank.

4x4tripping
    Generally in Africa, or at least outside South Africa, be safe and stick with Euro 4.

In East Africa, Shell and TOTAL all say their diesel is 50ppm. You will not get anything finer.

There are so many LC200s running around the continent, many from UN and governments, etc which I doubt have access to 50ppm diesel. But then it seems most of those also have the 1GR 4.0v6 and the 1UR 4.6v8... so, perhaps they are aware and avoiding poor quality diesel in favour of petrol.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

To all who see the 200 diesel running around Africa: True, they are all over and they last long. No injector problems!
    To all who think the V8 in the 79/76 have the same injectors as the 200 are making a big mistake. And there lies the problem with the V8.. the injectors in the single turbo are not resistant to hi sulphur diesel and its the sulphur that's the problem that erodes the injectors on the single turbo and not on the Bi-turbo!!!! Filters don't remove sulphur.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorty. For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast